Manchin and Heitkamp announce they wont block Trump's Nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:27:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin and Heitkamp announce they wont block Trump's Nominee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Manchin and Heitkamp announce they wont block Trump's Nominee  (Read 2216 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2018, 07:39:38 PM »

Democrats aren't fake just because they adopt a more moderate stance on the issues. Moreover, you should realize that Manchin and Heitkamp need to walk a fine line in order to win reelection in their states, states which voted heavily for President Trump.

My God you people are pathetic. The GOP could cheat and lie its way into every position of power in this country while running on a far-right platform and you'd still insist that Democrats need to play nice Smiley Smiley Smiley and use the same old failed triangulation tactics to win over muh swing voters. Seeing you people's faces when Manchin and Heitkamp lose because no principled Democrat bothered to cast a ballot for them will be a silver lining for me next November.

Ad hominem attacks make me less likely to consider the points in your post.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2018, 04:26:23 AM »

They didn't say that. They just said they would consider the nominee.

Also known as not reflexively blocking anyone the president puts up. Good for these senators; they're voices of reason.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2018, 07:24:45 AM »

Democrats aren't fake just because they adopt a more moderate stance on the issues. Moreover, you should realize that Manchin and Heitkamp need to walk a fine line in order to win reelection in their states, states which voted heavily for President Trump.

My God you people are pathetic. The GOP could cheat and lie its way into every position of power in this country while running on a far-right platform and you'd still insist that Democrats need to play nice Smiley Smiley Smiley and use the same old failed triangulation tactics to win over muh swing voters. Seeing you people's faces when Manchin and Heitkamp lose because no principled Democrat bothered to cast a ballot for them will be a silver lining for me next November.

That's not what I think at all. The Democrats need to get really shrewd during the age of Trump. On issues like education, healthcare, unions, and other economic issues, all issues that poll very well an whered showing a contrast will actually win over working class voters to actually realign the country, the Democrats should not play nice. But on something like this, it's a different story. Only harm could come from voting against a Supreme Court nominee that is going to get confirmed anyway in a red state at the presidential level.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This is all part of the old political playbook, picking your battles based on what "polls well". Voters can see through this bullsh*t and they're sick of it. They want politicians who actually fight for what they think it's right, not ghouls who crowdsource every political stance they take. The idea that a Heitkamp or Manchin are going to win over Republican voters by confirming some hack T***p appointed is laughable. No one cares about these things except people who are already too partisan to be persuaded. On the other hand, the entire Democratic party is harmed electorally by the (correct) perception that they don't stand for anything.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »

That's not what I think at all. The Democrats need to get really shrewd during the age of Trump. On issues like education, healthcare, unions, and other economic issues, all issues that poll very well an whered showing a contrast will actually win over working class voters to actually realign the country, the Democrats should not play nice. But on something like this, it's a different story. Only harm could come from voting against a Supreme Court nominee that is going to get confirmed anyway in a red state at the presidential level.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This is all part of the old political playbook, picking your battles based on what "polls well". Voters can see through this bullsh*t and they're sick of it. They want politicians who actually fight for what they think it's right, not ghouls who crowdsource every political stance they take. The idea that a Heitkamp or Manchin are going to win over Republican voters by confirming some hack T***p appointed is laughable. No one cares about these things except people who are already too partisan to be persuaded. On the other hand, the entire Democratic party is harmed electorally by the (correct) perception that they don't stand for anything.

Joe Manchin was one of the most vocal opponents of repealing Obamacare and has been a strong supporter of gun control; he may not stand for all of the things you do, but saying Manchin or Doug Jones (pro-choice in Alabama and never ran away from that position when it looked like he might actually win, despite pleas from national Democrats to do so) don’t stand for anything progressive is just silly.  It’d be one thing if there was literally anything Democrats could do to actually block this pick, but there isn’t.  If Heitkamp or Donnelly need to do a little empty virtue-signaling on a vote we’ll lose anyway, who cares as long as they’re generally with us when it actually matters? 

And while I can only speak to Ohio and this is pretty anecdotal, but I know of at least three Trump voters who support Richard Cordrey instead of DeWine b/c of Cordrey’s empty virtue signaling/kinda-sorta making a pretense of opposing gun control; voters don’t pay as close attention as Atlas posters do and can often be influenced by inconsequential virtue signaling and Smiley Smiley ModerateHero Smiley Smiley platitudes.  I mean, plenty of Ohioans think Sherrod Brown is only a little liberal or even a moderate b/c of his voice/messier appearance and folks tend to think Portman is a moderate (if they’ve heard of him at all) b/c he has a gay son or something.  If we take back the Senate and God-forbid Ginsberg or Breyer (along with Sotomayor, easily one of the two best justices on the court) die, we’ll be able to block anyone Trump tries to nominate.  That matters and you better believe every Democrat would hold the line if we had any chance of winning a Supreme Court vote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2018, 12:36:28 PM »

Manchin wants a nominee who won't overturn Roe.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »

The fabled Trump Country liberal RBG fan, rarely seen in the wild, but rumored to be kingmakers in their states' Senate elections.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »

The fabled Trump Country liberal RBG fan, rarely seen in the wild, but rumored to be kingmakers in their states' Senate elections.

Do you seriously believe the average persuadable voter thinks of SCOTUS nomination fights in ideological terms (or thinks about them at all beyond the media spin of "this is a victory for party X")?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »

Do you seriously believe the average persuadable voter thinks of SCOTUS nomination fights in ideological terms (or thinks about them at all beyond the media spin of "this is a victory for party X")?

I don't know about the "average" persuadable voter, but yes, I think there are a significant number of people , particularly in states with large number of culturally conservative crossover voters, for whom a vote against a conservative justice is a real liability.    And certainly more in these states than the number on the left for whom the Supreme Court represents everything they care about to such an extent that they won't bother voting and would just assume see a Republican win instead.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2018, 11:14:07 PM »

Yes. SCOTUS nomination fights are the single most important sets of votes a senator ever makes on traditional social issues. And that's pretty widely known. I'd consider voting for Manchin or Heitkamp if I lived in their states. And while not a majority, Heitkamp and Manchin need votes from people like me if they're going to get elected. Not everyone is a complete partisan hack who simply needs to be ticked off so they go out and vote against the other side.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2018, 08:29:29 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2018, 08:45:28 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

It's something, I guess.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to: