Manchin and Heitkamp announce they wont block Trump's Nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:52:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin and Heitkamp announce they wont block Trump's Nominee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Manchin and Heitkamp announce they wont block Trump's Nominee  (Read 2215 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1012087348031451136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1012087348031451136&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1012097693857075200?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1012097693857075200&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F

Great News
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »

#ReadingComprehension
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 07:00:21 PM »

The Dems need only 41 senators for a filibuster.

The rules have changed. Republicans only need 51 votes.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »

We don't know who they will be so... if it's someone that won't blow up the constitution, maybe Democrats should give them a look.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »

This is exactly why we liberals aren't gonna watch the hearing. The Koch and NRA jurist is going to win like Gorsuch. I didn't watch either.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 07:28:54 PM »

This is exactly why we liberals aren't gonna watch the hearing. The Koch and NRA jurist is going to win like Gorsuch. I didn't watch either.

Is there anything we can do if the system is this rigged?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »

They were never in a position to block. LOL.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »

They were never in a position to block. LOL.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 08:08:13 PM »

I think they referring to a filibuster, even though it's null and void and not participating in the roll call vote, that's their means of blockage

But, again, they could of tied up Senate during confirmation of Garland
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »

I think they referring to a filibuster, even though it's null and void and not participating in the roll call vote, that's their means of blockage

If Dems universally didn't show up to the roll call vote (a highly unlikely scenario), McConnell would simply force all Republicans to show up (yep, they'd drag in McCain on his hospital bed or whatever), and confirm the nominee. All you need for a quorum to hold a vote is 51 Senators.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »

If Dems universally didn't show up to the roll call vote (a highly unlikely scenario), McConnell would simply force all Republicans to show up (yep, they'd drag in McCain on his hospital bed or whatever), and confirm the nominee. All you need for a quorum to hold a vote is 51 Senators.

Something like that happened on House of Cards except they had the Sargent at Arms arrest the opposing politicians and compel attendance.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:44:59 PM »

Something like that happened on House of Cards except they had the Sargent at Arms arrest the opposing politicians and compel attendance.

McCain is too ill to travel and without him the GOP can only reach 50.

Then Mike Pence breaks the tie...unless there's an exception here.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 09:45:55 PM »

McCain is too ill to travel and without him the GOP can only reach 50.

Manchin makes it 51
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 12:06:30 AM »

Can Democrats just stand up and admit that having "moderate" Democrats is literally no different at this point than having a Republican?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 12:13:14 AM »

Can Democrats just stand up and admit that having "moderate" Democrats is literally no different at this point than having a Republican?

No ones allowed to wander off of the centrist plantation over at the Democratic party.

To paraphrase Barry Goldwater a bit: ''moderate'' Dems dont offer a choice but an echo.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 01:34:20 AM »

Well if Republicans were in these two seats we'd now have Trumpcare..... loathe I am to defend Manchin/Heitkamp they've generally been pretty good at attempting to block the worst excesses of the Trump government.
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 04:24:47 AM »

I was thinking more about when Byrd did it in ~87 or so. The story’s pretty funny.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1988/02/25/midnight-manhunt-in-the-senate/a2d08d94-a334-46d6-95fb-7473b5ae9eab/?utm_term=.9a226ee12be7
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 05:22:33 AM »

Is anyone surprised? Of course these spineless dipsh*ts were always going to cave.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 05:44:32 AM »

It is for this reason that I view it as foolish that the Democrats make a big deal of opposing a nominee that's going to be confirmed one way or the other.  They will not look good at doing so, and it will, in the end, injure their chances to take back the House and (at a minimum) hold the line in the Senate.  They can do both of these things, but they have to get it right.  Manchin and Heitkamp have much to lose by appearing to be obstructionists, and there's a difference in this between merely voting "no" on the nominee and being part of the obstruction.

One of the luxuries of being a minority party is that the Democrats are free to be as liberal (indeed, as leftist) as they want to be, because they haven't a prayer of being in the majority.  The Democrats now have the minority party mentality that the GOP used to have.  And most Democrats today, from its elected officials to it's lowliest registered voter, have become accustomed to the GOP controlling the Congress and their state legislatures.  That's the polar opposite from the 1970s, and even the 1980s, when Democrats controlled the majority of state legislatures and the House of Representatives (and only lost the Senate for 6 years).  THAT Democratic Party achieved real benefits for the American people, before its ideologues and its identity politicians made it impossible to win in tougher territory. 

A MAJORITY-ORIENTED party develops some kind of consensus about what is really important and pushes for that.  There are economic issues that the Democrats could build on, issues where they could actually convince Americans that they are right.  THAT would render the SCOTUS irrelevant.  Perhaps it's time for the Democrats to actually agree on common policy that would actually address the issues of the declining middle class and go out and convince people that they are right.  Instead, we're treated to their Hot, New, Star calling for the abolition of ICE and their Screaming Mimi (Maxine Waters) advocating systematic harrassment of officials on their own private time.  (I wonder what Ms. Waters' security team would think of me if I called her out in the middle of her meal in some public eatery.)  This isn't the way to build a majority, not in the least. 
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 08:00:30 AM »

Well if Republicans were in these two seats we'd now have Trumpcare..... loathe I am to defend Manchin/Heitkamp they've generally been pretty good at attempting to block the worst excesses of the Trump government.
Kodak
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »

Is anyone surprised? Of course these spineless dipsh*ts were always going to cave.

Too bad your #resistance buddies would never stand a chance in h$ll to primary these two out. And heck, Manchin is even favored in the GE at this point, I wonder why... maybe because he is not acting like an Ocasio-Cortez in WV.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »

Too bad your #resistance buddies would never stand a chance in h$ll to primary these two out. And heck, Manchin is even favored in the GE at this point, I wonder why... maybe because he is not acting like an Ocasio-Cortez in WV.

What is this incoherent, blathering rambling even supposed to mean?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 02:37:48 PM »

What is this incoherent, blathering rambling even supposed to mean?

If I must break it down for you, essentially the point is Manchin is probably going to win because he is a centrist. and there is near nothing far lefties can do about it. So lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies