Manchin and Heitkamp announce they wont block Trump's Nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:51:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin and Heitkamp announce they wont block Trump's Nominee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Manchin and Heitkamp announce they wont block Trump's Nominee  (Read 2214 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »

Is anyone surprised? Of course these spineless dipsh*ts were always going to cave.

Too bad your #resistance buddies would never stand a chance in h$ll to primary these two out. And heck, Manchin is even favored in the GE at this point, I wonder why... maybe because he is not acting like an Ocasio-Cortez in WV.

What is this incoherent, blathering rambling even supposed to mean?

If I must break it down for you, essentially the point is Manchin is probably going to win because he is a centrist. and there is near nothing far lefties can do about it. So lol.

So it's not addressing any of the substance of why Manchin and Heitkamp are the spineless dipsh*ts they are and instead going for a non-sequitur "sick burn" angle. Gotcha. Thanks for reminding me I'm wasting my time even acknowledging your existence.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 02:42:54 PM »

Is anyone surprised? Of course these spineless dipsh*ts were always going to cave.

Too bad your #resistance buddies would never stand a chance in h$ll to primary these two out. And heck, Manchin is even favored in the GE at this point, I wonder why... maybe because he is not acting like an Ocasio-Cortez in WV.

If I must break it down for you, essentially the point is Manchin is probably going to win because he is a centrist. and there is near nothing far lefties can do about it. So lol.

So it's not addressing any of the substance of why Manchin and Heitkamp are the spineless dipsh*ts they are and instead going for a non-sequitur "sick burn" angle. Gotcha. Thanks for reminding me I'm wasting my time even acknowledging your existence.

Kinda, well, yes... the Ocasio-Cortez trouncing of Crowley still hurts badly so I took a swipe to make myself feel a little better.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 03:44:27 PM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »

Can Democrats just stand up and admit that having "moderate" Democrats is literally no different at this point than having a Republican?
Well if Republicans were in these two seats we'd now have Trumpcare..... loathe I am to defend Manchin/Heitkamp they've generally been pretty good at attempting to block the worst excesses of the Trump government.

Now, instead of Trumpcare, we have Trumpdoesntcare.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »

Erm, what?

http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Court-confirmation-process-likely-to-follow-Gorsuch-playbook-486942791.html?ref=791
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 03:58:59 PM »

Can Democrats just stand up and admit that having "moderate" Democrats is literally no different at this point than having a Republican?
Well if Republicans were in these two seats we'd now have Trumpcare..... loathe I am to defend Manchin/Heitkamp they've generally been pretty good at attempting to block the worst excesses of the Trump government.

Skinny repeal was passed, and it's not clear anything else would have passed with 2 more Republicans.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 04:32:27 PM »

He actually makes a good point here. Manchin and Heitkamp are very popular with the Democratic bases in these states, and Manchin has been leading in all of the most recent polls. West Virginia is not the territory for a progressive politician at this time. Manchin's lead is, in part, due to his perceived (and real) centrism.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »

He actually makes a good point here. Manchin and Heitkamp are very popular with the Democratic bases in these states, and Manchin has been leading in all of the most recent polls. West Virginia is not the territory for a progressive politician at this time. Manchin's lead is, in part, due to his perceived (and real) centrism.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 04:54:31 PM »

Fake Democrats.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2018, 05:05:50 PM »

Democrats aren't fake just because they adopt a more moderate stance on the issues. Moreover, you should realize that Manchin and Heitkamp need to walk a fine line in order to win reelection in their states, states which voted heavily for President Trump.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 05:07:21 PM »

Democrats aren't fake just because they adopt a more moderate stance on the issues. Moreover, you should realize that Manchin and Heitkamp need to walk a fine line in order to win reelection in their states, states which voted heavily for President Trump.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 05:35:41 PM »

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 06:06:50 PM »

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 06:10:40 PM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2018, 06:17:36 PM »

Yes, the five red state Dems should absolutely vote for whatever cretin trump puts forward just so the GOP doesn’t go on a lynch mob after them cuz of it. It’s a free way to pretend to be moderate and say “look, I’m not Chuck and Nancy’s bitch!” They can (and should) block all the nominees they want if they win the Senate this year.
That's not realistic for Manchin, Heitkamp and Donnelly.

I agree with the premise of your statement but Democrats can't get much better them in those states.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2018, 06:17:56 PM »

They're not in position to block the nominee, and their news of coming out for the nominee is confirmation Susan Collins is gonna stick with the GOP and win confirmation of the nominee, whoever it is.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2018, 06:31:13 PM »

Yes, the five red state Dems should absolutely vote for whatever cretin trump puts forward just so the GOP doesn’t go on a lynch mob after them cuz of it. It’s a free way to pretend to be moderate and say “look, I’m not Chuck and Nancy’s bitch!” They can (and should) block all the nominees they want if they win the Senate this year.

I agree with the premise of your statement but Democrats can't get much better them in those states.

Neither of those three sit on the judiciary committee IIRC so the Dems can just kill nominees via committee if that chamber flips without it going to the floor of the Senate.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2018, 06:37:02 PM »

Neither of those three sit on the judiciary committee IIRC so the Dems can just kill nominees via committee if that chamber flips without it going to the floor of the Senate.
Huh? What's this suppose to mean?

The Supreme Court nomination vote will happen BEFORE the midterms...so yeah, I'm confused at how Democrats can block the nominees.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2018, 06:38:24 PM »

Well we need the five of the red staters to do anything they can to win re-election. The second they do, it doesn’t matter because all the nominations would then be up to Chuck Schumer and Schumer alone. Just like how McConnell never brought Garland up for a vote
How would the nominations be up to Chuck Schumer? I seriously don't understand lol.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2018, 06:41:59 PM »

Huh? What's this suppose to mean?

The Supreme Court nomination vote will happen BEFORE the midterms...so yeah, I'm confused at how Democrats can block the nominees.

I'm talking about what the Dems should do after they flip the senate in regards for future lower and Supreme Court appointments.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2018, 06:47:25 PM »

My God you people are pathetic. The GOP could cheat and lie its way into every position of power in this country while running on a far-right platform and you'd still insist that Democrats need to play nice Smiley Smiley Smiley and use the same old failed triangulation tactics to win over muh swing voters. Seeing you people's faces when Manchin and Heitkamp lose because no principled Democrat bothered to cast a ballot for them will be a silver lining for me next November.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2018, 06:56:42 PM »

My God you people are pathetic. The GOP could cheat and lie its way into every position of power in this country while running on a far-right platform and you'd still insist that Democrats need to play nice Smiley Smiley Smiley and use the same old failed triangulation tactics to win over muh swing voters. Seeing you people's faces when Manchin and Heitkamp lose because no principled Democrat bothered to cast a ballot for them will be a silver lining for me next November.

That's not what I think at all. The Democrats need to get really shrewd during the age of Trump. On issues like education, healthcare, unions, and other economic issues, all issues that poll very well an whered showing a contrast will actually win over working class voters to actually realign the country, the Democrats should not play nice. But on something like this, it's a different story. Only harm could come from voting against a Supreme Court nominee that is going to get confirmed anyway in a red state at the presidential level.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2018, 07:16:22 PM »

Nobody is suggesting that the Democrats "play nice". However, the Democrats CAN'T DO ANYTHING to block the nominees.

The time to do something passed on November 8, 2016. Democratic voters didn't show up in 2010, 2014 & 2016 (in certain key states) and that's why we're in this predicament.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »

That's not what I think at all. The Democrats need to get really shrewd during the age of Trump. On issues like education, healthcare, unions, and other economic issues, all issues that poll very well an whered showing a contrast will actually win over working class voters to actually realign the country, the Democrats should not play nice. But on something like this, it's a different story. Only harm could come from voting against a Supreme Court nominee that is going to get confirmed anyway in a red state at the presidential level.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »

I'd really think we should all be able to agree that Democratic Senators from bigly Trump states like WV/ND do not need to take symbolic stands against a conservative USSC justice that is going to get confirmed anyway. It's undeniable that these states are slanted towards Republicans, and there is an inherent risk in shooting down a conservative justice. It's debatable how much that attack can drive down their support, but even I'd wager such opposition would not be free.

If Democrats could actually get a Republican to vote with them and block the justice, that would be the time to start talking about Manchin-type Senators to stick with the party.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies