Even if the Dems win the House, they're in a world of hurt. Here's why...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:10:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Even if the Dems win the House, they're in a world of hurt. Here's why...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Even if the Dems win the House, they're in a world of hurt. Here's why...  (Read 1035 times)
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:13:09 AM »

A lot of the "Blue Wave" (in a hypothetical world that it happens) would consist of moderate GOPers in Virginia and New Jersey  being replaced by centrist Dems who would block every progressive legislation other than pet social issues. Once again, the Overton window would shift right.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »

Not so sure. They would be afraid to be Cantored in reverse or "Crowleyed". The NY-14 primary proved once again that the progressive wing is pretty good in mobilizing their base.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2018, 10:22:21 AM by Frodo »

I can't speak on behalf of every Democrat here, but I can tell you that I want Democrats to take the House not because I have any hope they will pass progressive legislation, but so they can investigate Trump and his administration.  God knows this country needs Democrats in control of at least one house of Congress to keep Trump and the ruling Republicans in check, and have it actually fulfill its constitutional role.  

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:19:55 AM »

"Moderate Republicans" who vote with Trump 95% of the time being replaced by "centrist Democrats" who will vote against Trump 95% of the time is not a shifting of the Overton window towards the right.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 10:20:32 AM »

Not so sure. They would be afraid to be Cantored in reverse or "Crowleyed". The NY-14 primary proved once again that the progressive wing is pretty good in mobilizing their base.
Until we see the opposite of David Obey being replaced by Duffy or Feingold being replaced by Johnson...but in reverse, even a blue wave won't change the overall ideology of the House. It would simply be Trumplicans v. Rockefellerites with a few progressives.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2018, 10:39:27 AM by Torie »

You have a point, but both parties tend to vote in blocks these days, to go along and get along, so the voting behavior of a centrist Dem (more or less), will be somewhat to substantially different from a centrist Pub (within the Pub party, a centrist Pub being on the left wing "fringe" within the party). That is particularly true when it comes to procedural votes, which procedural votes are sometimes of critical importance, such as how legislation is framed that comes up for a vote, or whether legislation comes up for a vote at all.

A case in point would be stand alone legislation on DACA, which the Pubs refuse to let see the light of day (and the moderate Pubs in the end failed in sufficient numbers to sign a discharge petition (signing a discharge petition is the equivalent of a heresy that tends to get you put in the shunned category among your party colleagues, and most congresspeople are unwilling to dwell in the village of the shunned within their party)).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »

Eh. Thanks to Trump, the Dems threshold for apparent success is going to be pretty low. Stop the founding of the Republic of Gilead and reduce the frequency at which the President soils the nation in public, and they can go into 2020 as a solid success.

The real danger will be getting blamed for the likely Trump-created economic crash.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 10:32:15 AM »

A "moderate" Republican and a "moderate" Democrat are WORLDS apart nowadays.    It would be a gigantic difference.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 10:53:18 AM »

"Moderate Republicans" who vote with Trump 95% of the time being replaced by "centrist Democrats" who will vote against Trump 95% of the time is not a shifting of the Overton window towards the right.

A "moderate" Republican and a "moderate" Democrat are WORLDS apart nowadays.    It would be a gigantic difference.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 11:27:34 AM »

I'm not one to ever agree with somebody as wacky as hofoid, but he's not entirely wrong here. Single payer and other progressive goals are not possible at this point b/c Trump still has the presidency, but Im also not sure how often dems like Rouda, Sherrill, and Oconnor for example will give into republican demands and might confirm some of trumps nominees, be softer on investigating him, etc.
However, I think this more applies to the senate where we have candidates like Sinema and Bredesen and we really are only going to gain up to three seats more then likely.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »

The real danger will be getting blamed for the likely Trump-created economic crash.

This. With the yield curve getting closer and closer to inverting, along with the other signs, it looks like we're not too far out from another recession. This has been a major problem for Democrats in recent history. Bush's tax cuts and putting a war on the credit card played a major role in the 2007 recession, but because things didn't really start looking bad for the average American until Obama was in office, guess who got blamed? And of course Trump is taking credit for the hard work done by Democrats to right the economy, though the tax cuts he and Congress came up with will be nothing but bad for the economy long-term.

That said, I do also agree with this:
I can't speak on behalf of every Democrat here, but I can tell you that I want Democrats to take the House not because I have any hope they will pass progressive legislation, but so they can investigate Trump and his administration.  God knows this country needs Democrats in control of at least one house of Congress to keep Trump and the ruling Republicans in check, and have it actually fulfill its constitutional role.

I'm losing hope that enough people will turn out to vote in a way that actually makes this happen, but I hope to God it does. Our democracy is falling apart and we need someone to fight for it, even if that fighting is little more than futile.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 12:17:14 PM »

I can't speak on behalf of every Democrat here, but I can tell you that I want Democrats to take the House not because I have any hope they will pass progressive legislation, but so they can investigate Trump and his administration.  God knows this country needs Democrats in control of at least one house of Congress to keep Trump and the ruling Republicans in check, and have it actually fulfill its constitutional role.  

And for more moderate Democrats like myself, the standard mentioned by OP would be fine. I'd take a centrist Democrat over a moderate GOP everyday. One is aligned more toward the middle, the other is center-right.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »

"Even if I'm proven wrong, I'm still totally right. Here's why.."

You sound like... actually probably the majority of the population.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 12:55:37 PM »

hofoid is always peddling this kind of nonsense. He's the biggest chicken little on this forum. He's always making these odd connections between random political events and their effect on elections. His latest one appears to be how random scotus decisions will give Trump a "bump." He thinks everything will give Trump/Republicans a bump, and rarely does any of it actually do that.

I'd be convinced he was a troll but for one little thing: The level of political knowledge in this country really is so poor that hofoid might not be that far off from the average American
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 01:06:40 PM »

hofoid is always peddling this kind of nonsense. He's the biggest chicken little on this forum. He's always making these odd connections between random political events and their effect on elections. His latest one appears to be how random scotus decisions will give Trump a "bump." He thinks everything will give Trump/Republicans a bump, and rarely does any of it actually do that.

I'd be convinced he was a troll but for one little thing: The level of political knowledge in this country really is so poor that hofoid might not be that far off from the average American

Being woke and dumb somehow doesn't a troll make. Poe's Law and all.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »

Being woke and dumb somehow doesn't a troll make. Poe's Law and all.

Right, I know. That's why I was saying what I said at the end. His consistency in making strange and nonsensical connections between things almost seems troll-like, but isn't that far off from what the average American thinks, at least in discussions I've had with people over the past 3 years in FL.

But for Atlas, there have been times when he's distinctly come off as a troll in some posts. It's not implausible that he's picked up on the things other trolls have done here and stirred the pot himself. He wouldn't be the first, anyway.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »

💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 06:40:52 PM »

A lot of the "Blue Wave" (in a hypothetical world that it happens) would consist of moderate GOPers in Virginia and New Jersey  being replaced by centrist Dems who would block every progressive legislation other than pet social issues. Once again, the Overton window would shift right.

Who are these "moderate" VA Republicans? Dave Brat? What makes candidates like Wexton "centrist Dems"?

Usually in cases like these I'd say "come on man you can do better" but at this stage I'm not really sure you can.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 08:15:54 PM »

"Moderate Republican" is an oxymoron.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »

I was curious about this thread until I clicked on it and realized it was hofoid's.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 09:37:29 PM »

Thread title reads like a CNN "analysis" article.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »

I want the House to flip. However the FC  gains from a wave because they will be a bigger % of the caucus. Most of the people in the FC just can’t lose a GE bc of the way their districts are drawn. Hopefully with some governors’ office pick ups , they’l mostly be gone come Jan 2023 when redistricting goes into effect. That being said, I don’t expect the house to actually pass much legislation next term should it flip. They will probably just spend two years catching up on oversight of the administration and investigations while also test driving some legislation to run on in 2020 and pass once there’s a D president.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »

Vespucci
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 10:58:15 AM »

Agreed. How that make sense in anyone's mid?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies