The Bagel23/X Marks the Spot Cellar of Exquisitely Aged Content
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:23:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Bagel23/X Marks the Spot Cellar of Exquisitely Aged Content
« previous next »
Thread note
Please do not re-post any posts that you think are likely to be moderated in this thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Author Topic: The Bagel23/X Marks the Spot Cellar of Exquisitely Aged Content  (Read 44063 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2018, 01:30:04 AM »

There is no darn question that Nelson will win, but definitely not with margins that wide! It will probably be 53% to 45%.

Oof.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2018, 02:03:19 AM »

Oh the things I would find out...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2018, 04:29:19 AM »

IceSpear will be very butthurt about this map. "How dare Oklahoma go D while Oregon and Nevada are R! Muh "all polling before October is trash"! Muh racist hicks!"
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2018, 04:48:53 AM »

Donna Shalala should be triaged because she'd win easily even if she had no campaign whatsoever.
Just like Senator Roy Moore? But this is from the guy who thinks Randy Bryce is 100% DOA and will lose by 15 points.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2018, 04:58:28 AM »

Some Nevada here.

Heller.

As I’ve said all along.

But I was called a joke for it..

Heller is a Mormon right? Nevada is close to Utah, where a lot of Mormons live, so Heller probably wins lol
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »

Oof...

When McSally wins by five in the most predictable case of Atlas jumping the gun on a red state turning purple ever, feel free to quote this post.

Yawn. McSally is going to win and it should've been predictable all along honestly. Sinema is too moderate to pump up the liberal base and there's just no way that 'moderate' suburbanite Republicans are going to vote for a pho-Republican instead of the real deal.

McSally 52-47 in the end. You heard it here first.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2018, 03:28:03 PM »

Also, January is over now, and Cochran is still in the Senate, so apparently the idea of him resigning was fake news. So I removed the tentative rating for MS-Special.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »

Heitkamp (who is underrated on this forum, she's more likely to win than Scott, for god's sake)

This post is so Atlas. Please explain how a Democrat in a crimson red state who is consistently trailing by double digits is more likely to win than a Republican who has a small to moderate sized deficit in a purple state.

Scott is an overrated candidate, IMHO, and he has to run alongside DeSantis. I'll admit that the post was an overreaction, but it's ridiculous that everyone calls Heitkamp DOA when the race is lean to likely R and FL a tossup when it is lean to likely D.

Yikes.
(Clarence Thomas is me, btw)
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2018, 05:55:47 PM »

With an incumbent running, this [TX-32] is even more safe than GA-6.  The same goes for Culberson and any of the other shockingly-close-in-2016 Texas districts.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2018, 10:14:03 PM »

Kavanaugh!  Kavanaugh!

Nevada is not as Democratic as you think.  Hillary only carried it by 2.42%.  Trump may have been the worst Republican for Nevada.  I have no doubt but Rubio was done really well there. Heller is in the Rubio mold.  Masto only carried it by 2.33%. 

In 2014 the Republicans swept the statewide offices and the legislature. 

In 2012 as Obama won by 6.6%, Heller was able to win by 1.16%

538 has Nevada pegged as 1.3% more Republican than the nation.  Even before this poll 538 gave Heller a 52% chance to carry the state.  It predicted the vote as Heller 48.8% Rosen 48.4%. 

The Democrats were living on the generic to carry Nevada this year.  Then you pulled the Kavanaugh sneak attack.  Boomerang!

538 has now  moved Heller to a 59.3 chance to win or 3 in 5 with a popular vote of 49.4% to 47.9%

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2018, 04:59:52 PM »

Oklahoma is the new Alabunga, and this sad excuse for a meme will end the same way.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2018, 05:49:50 PM »

This entire thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=299336.0
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2018, 10:55:15 PM »

Sinema is a fraud and Arizona voters are gonna vote against her.

Womp womp. Also in before this dude rebuttals by saying that McSally won the vote before “the fraud”.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2018, 06:30:43 PM »

On WI-01:

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »

Comstock’s race isn’t lean R but it’s not lean D either. She’s a strong incumbent in a tough district in a tough year with a strong challenger. That’s usually the recipe for a tossup that break against the presidential party near the end of the cycle, though less often than you’d think. Probably 40% chance she wins as of now.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2018, 07:04:21 PM »

Barbara Comstock, Pearl Kim (great Republican candidate in the new Delaware county district in Pennsylvania), Erik Paulsen, Matt Chrin, Mimi Walters, Young Kim, Rocky Chavez, Dino Rossi, Kevin Yoder, Rod Blum, and I guess Paul Davis and Anthony Brindisi.

Most overrated: Jennifer Wexton, Mikie Sherrill, Jeff Van Drew, Donna Shalala.

LMAO. Literally a 100% track record of being wrong if Brindisi and Kim lose. That's actually very impressive.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2018, 07:19:26 PM »

More from that thread:

Comstock's race is Lean R right now. Trump popularity rising in NOVA compared to Nov 2017 - Northam would not have won Loudoun by 20 points if the election were held today.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2018, 10:12:59 PM »

Lots of gems in this thread, but Seriously? ended up 0 for 3.

Missouri. McCaskill always figures out a way to eke out a win.

Nevada is looking increasingly unlikely. Arizona will revert back to normal form. Keep in mind they had a late primary and are still "healing' per se.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2018, 10:20:35 PM »

Normally I find threads like this passive-aggressive and bad, but this one was too hilarious to pass up considering it was posted three days after election night.

Polis's 8-point D victory in a D+7 year is not really that impressive for Colorado, honestly.

Polis's lead is 10.5%.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:01 PM »

This is my dream map for several reasons.  The first reason is obvious.  The second is that I can see no reason why this wouldn't benefit my party.  You basically just split up every state, except Texas, that is reliably Democratic.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2018, 01:55:20 AM »

Barbara Comstock, Pearl Kim (great Republican candidate in the new Delaware county district in Pennsylvania), Erik Paulsen, Matt Chrin, Mimi Walters, Young Kim, Rocky Chavez, Dino Rossi, Kevin Yoder, Rod Blum, and I guess Paul Davis and Anthony Brindisi.

Most overrated: Jennifer Wexton, Mikie Sherrill, Jeff Van Drew, Donna Shalala.

LMAO. Literally a 100% track record of being wrong if Brindisi and Kim lose. That's actually very impressive.
I mean, he was right about Jeff Van Drew being overrated I guess?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2018, 09:18:03 PM »

Interesting. Why would a Clinton +8 district shift so hard to Republicans? And why does Cisneros already have an underwater favorability?

Cisneros is leading among Asian voters by only 2 points (43%-41%), losing badly even among whites with college degrees, and while he’s doing well with Hispanics, they’re not really planning to vote. He’s a pretty brazen carpetbagger (he moved from Maxine Waters’s district in LA) and is getting hit hard over the sexual harassment allegations on TV.

Democrats nominated a very flawed candidate, Republicans nominated their best recruit of the cycle, and invested enough money to shift it towards Team Red.

Kim is well-liked and voters think she’s in tune with the district. She’s the new Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, basically.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »

2018 is obviously not going to be a "Democratic wave year". The issue in 2010 or 2014 was not that people massively turned out against an unpopular Democratic administration, the issue was that Democrats simply didn't turn out at all and Republicans did. That's not likely to change in 2018. McCaskill is still in deep trouble, and so are Tester, Heitkamp, Donnelly, etc...

Wow, nice job seeing the trend for those Senate races 2 yrs ahead David B!
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2018, 02:24:52 PM »

Interesting. Why would a Clinton +8 district shift so hard to Republicans? And why does Cisneros already have an underwater favorability?

Cisneros is leading among Asian voters by only 2 points (43%-41%), losing badly even among whites with college degrees, and while he’s doing well with Hispanics, they’re not really planning to vote. He’s a pretty brazen carpetbagger (he moved from Maxine Waters’s district in LA) and is getting hit hard over the sexual harassment allegations on TV.

Democrats nominated a very flawed candidate, Republicans nominated their best recruit of the cycle, and invested enough money to shift it towards Team Red.

Kim is well-liked and voters think she’s in tune with the district. She’s the new Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, basically.

Was just about to post this. "New Ileana Ros-Lehtinen" my butt.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2018, 03:02:04 PM »

I was listening to the NPR show Left Right and Center and they had two experienced Orange County politicos on to discuss the races and both the Republican and Gustavo Arellano thought that Dems would probably only pick up one Orange County district--very pessimistic.

In any case, I think Dems pick up three out of four...

CA49 - Likely Dem - An easy win for Levin. This district is changing fast and Levin's a good candidate who is able to get cross-over support in the most GOP part of the district...

CA45 - Leans Dem - Mimi Waters had been seen as a relatively strong incumbent but she's made some gaffes. Meanwhile, Katie Porter isn't a perfect candidate. But I think the district dynamics here are just too much for Republicans to overcome.

Irvine and Tustin provide a solid blue base and feature exactly the suburban moderate type voters that Trump has had the most trouble with. Moreover, while there is a high Asian-American population in the district, the immigrant community in Irvine is more educated and likely includes more American-born Asian-Americans than CD39 or CD48. That will result in turnout dynamics and ideology that more closely aligns the communities in the district with white liberals.

Polling shows that Porter has a slight lead here and I believe it.

CA48 - Slight Lean Dem - Dana Rohrabacher is a mess and I think Harley Rouda has done pretty well. But we should not underestimate the extreme Republican-ness of Newport Beach and Huntington Beach. Newport Beach Republicans aren't generally Trump fans but do they want Nancy Pelosi to run congress? Trump/Rohrabacher are perfect for the Republican politics of Huntington Beach which is known to have more of a racist/jingoist Republicanism that prefers the beach and bar scene to the country club where Trump--even as a country club owner--may still be considered tacky.

That said, there are strong Dem areas--mainly Laguna Beach/Aliso Viejo and Costa Mesa but low Latino turnout in Costa Mesa can be killer.

I'm surprised by the polling that shows a tie but hoping to see some growth from Rouda next month.

CA39 - Slight Lean Rep - What a mess. Kim is a good candidate although i don't think she's the rock star she's been made out to be. It's just that Cisneros is a disaster. Plus the district dynamics are tough. Dems rely on strong turnout from Latinos and Asian-Americans. The Asian-American vote in this district, meanwhile, is heavily Chinese (LA County) and Korean (Orange County).

The Chinese vote is quite insular and the community in the district includes many relatively new immigrants. Unlike in Monterey Park--where there's a strong Judy-Chu-run Chinese-American Democratic machine, the Republicans have historically had stronger ties to the Chinese vote in Hacienda Heights, Walnut, and Diamond Bar. Sen. Ling Ling Chang, Mei Mei Huff, and several past and present Walnut city council members... Of course, Young Kim being Korean along with State Assemblyman Choi also helps.

The white voters in the district, meanwhile, in Fullerton, Brea, and Yorba Linda tend to include more Trumpian tea-party types than you might find in CA45 or CA49. Unless Cisneros can figure out how to get support from Chinese-Americans, he's going to be sunk.
Irvine and Tustin aren't a solid blue base. They have slim Democratic voter registration advantages.  Lake Forest and Mission Viejo both have strong Republican voter registration edges. CA-45 will be hard for a Democrat to win. Costa Mesa and Aliso Viejo aren't strong Democratic areas they both have a Republican voter registration edge. You just explained why CA-48 will be hard to win, but then you're surprised that the latest poll is a tie, so why do you have it as Lean D. If any other Republican was running in CA-48 they would easily win. Huntington Beach and Newport Beach might just be too Republican for Rouda to win this district. It's tossup because of Rohrabacher.

With that said I agree that CA-39 is lean R and CA-49 is Likely D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies