2018 Congressional Generic Ballot/House Polls Megathread 2 - no debates please
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:45:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Generic Ballot/House Polls Megathread 2 - no debates please
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 62
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Generic Ballot/House Polls Megathread 2 - no debates please  (Read 145001 times)
ltomlinson31
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: August 29, 2018, 07:30:13 PM »
« edited: August 29, 2018, 07:33:34 PM by ltomlinson31 »

Do we have evidence that Siena has a pro-incumbent bias and not a pro-Democrat bias?

Like I said, their pro-incumbent bias is only true for summer polls. Later in the campaign, their polls are significantly better.

Their October polls of the two races I mentioned earlier had Bishop down 50-45 (he lost 53-45) and Maffei down 52-42 (he lost 58-39).

They also had Hayworth up on Maloney by 13% and 7% in 2012 in NY-18 (Maloney ended up winning by 3%). In NY-24 the same year, both of their polls had Maffei and Buerkle tied (Maffei ended up winning by 5%). Not really sure if they're necessarily pro-incumbent, but there is that info from 2012 (also worth noting that was when the districts were redrawn).
Strong Candidate
123NY
Rookie

« Reply #1026 on: August 29, 2018, 07:33:31 PM »

NY-22:Aug. 20-26, 499 likely voters

Anthony Brindisi (D): 46
Claudia Tenney (R, inc): 44

The GCB is R+13. Like I’ve been saying, a generic Republican would be winning easily here, but Claudia Tenney is not a generic Republican. You can see that from the fact that Brindisi is getting twenty-four percent of the Republican vote and is only underwater 31-37 among Republicans in terms of favorability that this is a perfect match-up for Democrats to pick off disaffected Rockefeller Republicans.

Are there really a ton of moderate GOPers in this district?

Yes, these upstate New York congressional districts are full of Republicans of a moderate sort. Don't forget that this district's previous Representative was the only Republican congressmember to endorse Hillary, and that when he retired, his chosen successor only lost the primary by 10 points despite being viewed as an overwhelming underdog. During the 2006/08 waves, huge swathes of upstate with massive Republican registration advantages elected Democratic Representatives. While these voters will support generic Republicans over generic Democrats most of the time, they will support Democrats in the right match-ups.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1027 on: August 29, 2018, 08:08:07 PM »

NY-22: Siena, Aug. 20-26, 499 likely voters

Phew... not changing my house rating then, good result.
Littlefinger
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1028 on: August 29, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »

The GCB is R+13. Like I’ve been saying, a generic Republican would be winning easily here, but Claudia Tenney is not a generic Republican. You can see that from the fact that Brindisi is getting twenty-four percent of the Republican vote and is only underwater 31-37 among Republicans in terms of favorability that this is a perfect match-up for Democrats to pick off disaffected Rockefeller Republicans.

Yes, these upstate New York congressional districts are full of Republicans of a moderate sort. Don't forget that this district's previous Representative was the only Republican congressmember to endorse Hillary, and that when he retired, his chosen successor only lost the primary by 10 points despite being viewed as an overwhelming underdog. During the 2006/08 waves, huge swathes of upstate with massive Republican registration advantages elected Democratic Representatives. While these voters will support generic Republicans over generic Democrats most of the time, they will support Democrats in the right match-ups.

Sample was also heavily elderly skewed with only 27% under the age of 55. Great news for Brindisi to be up in a sample like that. Tilt D.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1029 on: August 29, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »

It is Sienna, so it does have a pro-incumbency bias, but these are still great numbers, and the undecideds in the poll look like they will lean D.

How does a polling firm have a pro-incumbent bias?  Like, what sort of sampling or weighting procedure would produce this?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1030 on: August 29, 2018, 08:58:56 PM »

It is Sienna, so it does have a pro-incumbency bias, but these are still great numbers, and the undecideds in the poll look like they will lean D.

How does a polling firm have a pro-incumbent bias?  Like, what sort of sampling or weighting procedure would produce this?
they tend to give incumbents a better sample. For instance, both this poll and the other NY poll have had a GOP bias of around 3-4 in registration, but when they do D districts, they have a 3-4 D bias.
Kodak
United States

« Reply #1031 on: August 29, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »

Upstate NY Republicans are a mix of New England-style moderates, ancestrally Democratic blue-collar workers who voted for Trump, and rural farmers and gun nuts who wish New York City would sink into the ocean. Most of them will happily ticket-split to vote for Cuomo and Schumer. Many of them will do the same here.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1032 on: August 29, 2018, 10:08:21 PM »

Upstate NY Republicans are a mix of New England-style moderates, ancestrally Democratic blue-collar workers who voted for Trump, and rural farmers and gun nuts who wish New York City would sink into the ocean. Most of them will happily ticket-split to vote for Cuomo and Schumer. Many of them will do the same here.
Its like the rustbelt combined with moderate GOP suburbs. Its very swingy, as we are probably going to see this election.
mencken
« Reply #1033 on: August 30, 2018, 04:49:11 AM »

Do we have evidence that Siena has a pro-incumbent bias and not a pro-Democrat bias?

Like I said, their pro-incumbent bias is only true for summer polls. Later in the campaign, their polls are significantly better.

Their October polls of the two races I mentioned earlier had Bishop down 50-45 (he lost 53-45) and Maffei down 52-42 (he lost 58-39).

Yes, you did cite that they showed two incumbent Democrats ahead that ended up losing. That did not answer my question at all.

They also had Hayworth up on Maloney by 13% and 7% in 2012 in NY-18 (Maloney ended up winning by 3%). In NY-24 the same year, both of their polls had Maffei and Buerkle tied (Maffei ended up winning by 5%). Not really sure if they're necessarily pro-incumbent, but there is that info from 2012 (also worth noting that was when the districts were redrawn).

Thanks for at least answering my question. Seems like a Type I error here: most polls overestimated Republicans in 2012 and Democrats in 2014, but you know, anything that supports the "blue wave" narrative against any smidgen of epistemic uncertainty works I suppose.
mencken
« Reply #1034 on: August 30, 2018, 05:46:12 AM »

^exactly no one on this site will be able to tell you with any credibility which way the polls will be off this year. Republicans ended up with a ton of egg on their faces in 2012 while Democrats got that in 2014 and 2016. 2010 was surprsingly a mixed bag in polling errors given Democrats exceeded polling numbers in a lot of Senate/gubernatorial races that year. And in 2006 Republicans did a little better than expected given the final GCB numbers

I never made such a claim. I merely asserted that it was specious to claim that a particular pollster had a pro-incumbent bias because they showed Democratic incumbents doing better in 2014 (and Republican incumbents doing better in 2012). I never heard such a claim before this poll came showing Tenney doing better than expected.

Republicans might lose only a few hostile open seats and controversial incumbents or they might lose virtually every seat where Trump won by <10%. Most of the hacks here will jump over themselves to ignore the first possibility.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1035 on: August 30, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »

I never made such a claim. I merely asserted that it was specious to claim that a particular pollster had a pro-incumbent bias because they showed Democratic incumbents doing better in 2014 (and Republican incumbents doing better in 2012). I never heard such a claim before this poll came showing Tenney doing better than expected.

Republicans might lose only a few hostile open seats and controversial incumbents or they might lose virtually every seat where Trump won by <10%. Most of the hacks here will jump over themselves to ignore the first possibility.

You are correct. Polling error is not predictable in advance (in part because pollsters modify their methodology in response to past errors), and anyone who thinks it is has definitely not observed many elections, or else has not learned anything from observing them.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1036 on: August 30, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »

they tend to give incumbents a better sample. For instance, both this poll and the other NY poll have had a GOP bias of around 3-4 in registration, but when they do D districts, they have a 3-4 D bias.

But why would they do this?  Like, why would you use a different sampling or weighting procedure for races with a Democrat versus Republican incumbent?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1037 on: August 30, 2018, 11:54:02 AM »

But why would they do this?  Like, why would you use a different sampling or weighting procedure for races with a Democrat versus Republican incumbent?
From what I gather, they overestimate the incumbent effect. For incumbents, they weirdly think that more Rs/Ds would come out for their incumbent when that doesnt really happen. And its especially bad in the waves of 2014 and 2018.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1038 on: August 30, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2018, 01:37:36 PM by PittsburghSteel »

In this NBC poll of millennials, the the GCB has the GOP garnering paltry support from Blacks, Asians, and Latinx with 8%, 9%, and also 9% respectively for the 2018 midterms.

That is honestly impressive...

https://t.co/jrMBgwf8Ff
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #1039 on: August 30, 2018, 01:34:48 PM »

In this NBC poll of millennials, the the GCB has the GOP garnering paltry support from Blacks, Asians, and Latinx with 8%, 9%, and also 9% respectively for the 2018 midterms.

Devastating.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1040 on: August 30, 2018, 03:21:03 PM »

Siena will drop a NY-19 poll tonight.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1041 on: August 30, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »

That is honestly impressive...

BUT BUT MUH KANYE ENDORSEMENT

MUH #WALKAWAY
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1042 on: August 30, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »

Is Siena doing the entire state, or something?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1043 on: August 30, 2018, 03:24:59 PM »

It's okay... Millennials are age 22-37, about a 15 year span in a country with a life expectancy of 78. As long as we hold other age groups, we'll be fine. Don't forget, Frederick III was supposed to be the youthful liberal "new generation" of the Second Reich, as well. Smiley
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1044 on: August 30, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »

It's okay... Millennials are age 22-37, about a 15 year span in a country with a life expectancy of 78. As long as we hold other age groups, we'll be fine. Don't forget, Frederick III was supposed to be the youthful liberal "new generation" of the Second Reich, as well. Smiley
You don’t get it, do you?
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #1045 on: August 30, 2018, 03:29:31 PM »

Prediction: Faso +1

Other prediction: Delgado wins in November anyway
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1046 on: August 30, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »

Prediction: Faso +1

Other prediction: Delgado wins in November anyway
yeah, based on their other polls, I would say Faso will lead, but Delgado will win anyway.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #1047 on: August 30, 2018, 03:36:24 PM »

FL-16 - Anzalone Liszt Research Group (Shapiro Internal)

Buchanan (R) - 48%
Shapiro (D) - 44%

https://voteshapiro2018.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2018/08/POLL-SUMMARY-FL-CD-16-AUG-2018-2.pdf

FL-16 is Trump+11.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1048 on: August 30, 2018, 03:37:33 PM »

Is Siena doing the entire state, or something?

Probably all the competitive races. They're on a roll.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #1049 on: August 30, 2018, 03:49:05 PM »

FL-16 - Anzalone Liszt Research Group (Shapiro Internal)

Buchanan (R) - 48%
Shapiro (D) - 44%

https://voteshapiro2018.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2018/08/POLL-SUMMARY-FL-CD-16-AUG-2018-2.pdf

FL-16 is Trump+11.

Interesting result. A few weeks ago a poll came out with Shapiro down eleven. I'd say he's down high single digits realistically. Likely R, closer to Lean than Safe.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies