2018 Congressional Generic Ballot/House Polls Megathread 2 - no debates please
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 08:43:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Generic Ballot/House Polls Megathread 2 - no debates please
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 62
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Generic Ballot/House Polls Megathread 2 - no debates please  (Read 145528 times)
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: August 14, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »

So the pundits keep moving races in favor of the Dems like every single time a new poll comes out...have they ever considered that maybe they should start moving some of the races without polls too, because their ratings are clearly way too GOP friendly? I suppose that's too logical.
Yeah, pundits seem to need a mountain of evidence to move a race towards the Dems, but need only one poll to move it to the GOP(looking at you Gonzalez, with the lean R rating for ND, and at you Cook, with the Oregon garbage)

A lot of the prognosticators are too incumbent-friendly because they get leaks/internal polls shared with them from incumbents, from NRCC, and from DCCC, and they want to maintain good relationships with the powers that be. So they are sometimes overly inclined to not move a race against an incumbent unless it is really very clear that the particular race has actually moved against that incumbent.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #726 on: August 14, 2018, 11:54:46 AM »

So the pundits keep moving races in favor of the Dems like every single time a new poll comes out...have they ever considered that maybe they should start moving some of the races without polls too, because their ratings are clearly way too GOP friendly? I suppose that's too logical.
Yeah, pundits seem to need a mountain of evidence to move a race towards the Dems, but need only one poll to move it to the GOP(looking at you Gonzalez, with the lean R rating for ND, and at you Cook, with the Oregon garbage)

A lot of the prognosticators are too incumbent-friendly because they get leaks/internal polls shared with them from incumbents, from NRCC, and from DCCC, and they want to maintain good relationships with the powers that be. So they are sometimes overly inclined to not move a race against an incumbent unless it is really very clear that the particular race has actually moved against that incumbent.
But this year has been especially bad. Most prognosticators have such mind boggling ratings for governors, senators, and house members Ive ever seen. And I dont think its why you said it is, after all, it only took one poll for Cook to move McArthur, Ojeda, Brown, and others. I think its because they are over-correcting, and giving the Rs the best possible scenario to save face. They messed up in 2016, and just like after 2006, and 2010, they are over-correcting.
mencken
« Reply #727 on: August 14, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »

If you take the average of Monmouth's House polls (excluding WV-3 since it is such an anomaly), Republicans lose ~3% from Trump 2016 with "potential voters", ~5% with "historical midterm voters", and ~6% with the "Democratic surge". However, these decrease by ~4% each if you only include races with one incumbent running.

So if pundits should use these house polls to read into the tea leaves on unpolled races, I guess they could move all incumbents in districts Trump won by <4% to the tossup column (<8% for open districts) - seems reasonable to me, although I think fewer races would change ratings than you might think.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #728 on: August 14, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »

TX-32 Democratic internal poll
Pete Sessions (R) - 47%
Colin Allred (D) - 45%

Trump at 41% approval and Sessions at 38% approval

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/democratic-poll-shows-close-race-pete-sessions-seat-texas

Yup, this is competitive stuff.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #729 on: August 14, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »

Pete Sessions (R) - 47%
Colin Allred (D) - 45%

Drumpf at 41% approval and Sessions at 38% approval

I'm still confused as to how he won by a 50 point margin in 2016

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #730 on: August 14, 2018, 04:47:03 PM »

Pete Sessions (R) - 47%
Colin Allred (D) - 45%

There was no Democratic candidate in this District in 2016, only him and a Libertarian.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #731 on: August 14, 2018, 05:02:50 PM »

Pete Sessions (R) - 47%
Colin Allred (D) - 45%

There was no Democratic candidate in this District in 2016, only him and a Libertarian.

Yeah, that made me so upset. If no dem filed this time (very grateful that we had a wonderful field here), I was going get either my mom or dad to file for the seat as a democrat, cause there was no way on earth I was going to let it go uncontested again. 
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #732 on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:45 AM »

Morning Consult/Politico, August 10-12.  1992 registered voters.

D: 42 (nc)
R: 38 (+2)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #733 on: August 15, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »

Quinnipiac has D+9 (51-42) and CNN has D+11 (52-41)
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2562, https://mobile.twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1029760323954397184
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #734 on: August 15, 2018, 11:10:01 AM »

CNN:

More Enthusiastic Voters’ Choice for Congress

Democrat          54%
Republican        41%
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #735 on: August 15, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/15/politics/pelosi-doesnt-matter-in-midterms/index.html

Pelosi though.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #736 on: August 15, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »

But Atlas told me that Dems would gain at least 200 seats if only Pelosi resigned. When is Atlas EVER wrong?!
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #737 on: August 15, 2018, 11:52:03 AM »

Seems kind of suspect. Dems were only able to shave 6.5 or so points off an R+7 district (Ohio 12th). That suggests a D+6/7 electorate.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #738 on: August 15, 2018, 11:55:03 AM »

Seems kind of suspect. Dems were only able to shave 6.5 or so points off an R+7 district (Ohio 12th). That suggests a D+6/7 electorate.

Actually, D+13, since you forgot the doubling rule of pvi.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #739 on: August 15, 2018, 11:59:06 AM »

Hemoroid is about to have a seizure.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #740 on: August 15, 2018, 12:06:34 PM »

This is what I've been saying for weeks now. Pelosi isn't electoral magic like Republicans think, yet they keep dragging her through the mud thinking it is. They seem to think that just because they wouldn't shut up about her for years during Obama-era midterm blowouts, that somehow it was an effective attack, because surely THAT was the reason they won, and not a recession recovery + unpopular-ish Democrat in the White House!

I don't think Pelosi deserves this kind of hate, but at the same time, since Republican politicians/strategists are too stupid and narrow minded to let go of an ineffective attack, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a little happy when Pelosi retires, because it means Rs will finally start moving on to some other attack line that isn't incredibly stale.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #741 on: August 15, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »

Strangely in 434 districts Nancy Pelosi's name will not appear on the ballot.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #742 on: August 15, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #743 on: August 15, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Doubtful.

They will just recycle the same attack line on her successor. 
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #744 on: August 15, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Doubtful.

They will just recycle the same attack line on her successor. 

Or they'll escalate: "XXX is even worse than Pelosi!"
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #745 on: August 15, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »

This is what I've been saying for weeks now. Pelosi isn't electoral magic like Republicans think, yet they keep dragging her through the mud thinking it is. They seem to think that just because they wouldn't shut up about her for years during Obama-era midterm blowouts, that somehow it was an effective attack, because surely THAT was the reason they won, and not a recession recovery + unpopular-ish Democrat in the White House!

I don't think Pelosi deserves this kind of hate, but at the same time, since Republican politicians/strategists are too stupid and narrow minded to let go of an ineffective attack, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a little happy when Pelosi retires, because it means Rs will finally start moving on to some other attack line that isn't incredibly stale.

Virginia, you’ve done it again.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #746 on: August 15, 2018, 02:11:03 PM »

muh Pelosi just needs to end but it is true that a lot of people who are warming up to the Democrats are in fact not fans of her.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #747 on: August 15, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »

Harris Interactive, Aug. 12-13, 999 registered voters

D 43 (nc)
R 32 (-4)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #748 on: August 15, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »

That Quinnipac poll has the Dems winning women by only 4 points but Reps winning men by 12...
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #749 on: August 15, 2018, 02:30:23 PM »

muh Pelosi just needs to end but it is true that a lot of people who are warming up to the Democrats are in fact not fans of her.

Yea that is absolutely true, but since she ranks so low with people's lists of priorities, she doesn't end up factoring that much into their decision. Most of those people rating her as a big factor in their votes are probably Republicans or Republicans masquerading as indies who were never going to vote Democrat anyway, and would probably say any number of liberal boogeymen are a big factor in their votes (Clinton, Obama, etc). What they won't say is that the biggest factor and the only factor that matters in their vote is that the candidate must be a Republican (and a Trump supporter too maybe?). Nothing else matters to them.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies