Most republican neighborhood in Chicago?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:41:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most republican neighborhood in Chicago?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most republican neighborhood in Chicago?  (Read 2135 times)
Yellowhammer
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »

I spent the last week in Chicago, mostly in Roscoe Village and North Center. I doubt that any area of Chicago has a significant population of Republicans, but what is the least Democratic area in the city?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »

Around the airports are conservatives, Marquette Park around Midway airport, and O'Hare-Rosemont areas are upper class whites live there. Jefferson Park also has conservative areas and it leads towards O'Hare airport, but not as conservative as it use to be in the 90's.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 02:27:54 PM »

Mt. Greenwood still votes around 55% Republican in Presidential elections and is definitely the largest Republican-voting neighborhood within the city of Chicago. There are some Republican pockets along the border with Lincolnwood also in the neighborhoods of North Park and West Ridge, though those neighborhoods are overall Democratic; I think there are a lot of Orthodox Jews there.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 11:17:11 PM »

Mt. Greenwood still votes around 55% Republican in Presidential elections and is definitely the largest Republican-voting neighborhood within the city of Chicago. There are some Republican pockets along the border with Lincolnwood also in the neighborhoods of North Park and West Ridge, though those neighborhoods are overall Democratic; I think there are a lot of Orthodox Jews there.

Yet Mt. Greenwood is heavily Democratic when it comes to voting for Dan Lipinski. Very interesting part of town! Similar in many ways to Bridesburg in Philly or Morrell Park in Baltimore or some of the Russian areas of Brooklyn. White Ethnic, blue collar areas, usually kinda geographically isolated, known for racial tensions, have swung heavily Republican in recent years.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 03:01:21 AM »

Yet Mt. Greenwood is heavily Democratic when it comes to voting for Dan Lipinski. Very interesting part of town! Similar in many ways to Bridesburg in Philly or Morrell Park in Baltimore or some of the Russian areas of Brooklyn. White Ethnic, blue collar areas, usually kinda geographically isolated, known for racial tensions, have swung heavily Republican in recent years.
There must be a lot of retired home-owning cops there?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 04:49:13 PM »

havent noticed that in Morell Park (have to drive through there every once in a while)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 07:49:27 PM »

Recently, Mt. Greenwood, with the rise of Trump. Historically, Norwood Park, which is out in the NW corner by O'Hare. Both areas have large contingencies of fire/police.

Hope you enjoyed Chicago! You were not far from my hood.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 10:28:16 AM »

havent noticed that in Morell Park (have to drive through there every once in a while)
Morell Park seems less ethnic, but similar in that it's a Trump-swinging urban neighborhood. Very interesting.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 10:46:43 AM »

Recently, Mt. Greenwood, with the rise of Trump. Historically, Norwood Park, which is out in the NW corner by O'Hare. Both areas have large contingencies of fire/police.

Was trying to find your old maps that were so well done ... what were the areas that went for Rauner in 2014 again?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2018, 05:15:02 PM by Torie »

This is the Rauner percentages. The only ward he carried was the Lincoln Park ward. Money mattered. He seemed to do well in the money zone to the north and northwest of Lincoln Park.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 11:25:33 PM »

Rauner seems to have a sort of (pre-Brexit at least) "Tory" appeal.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 07:35:31 AM »

Was trying to find your old maps that were so well done ... what were the areas that went for Rauner in 2014 again?

I think you know well that it was the Near North Side, which has not been the most historically Republican neighborhood. Why do you ask?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 10:18:09 PM »

Morell Park seems less ethnic, but similar in that it's a Trump-swinging urban neighborhood. Very interesting.
i think it may swing dem actually, as it is being gentrified
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 06:28:56 AM »

Mt. Greenwood was R before Trump, too. E.g., it was ~55% McCain in 2008 even when Obama was curbstombing McCain in Illinois.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »

I think you know well that it was the Near North Side, which has not been the most historically Republican neighborhood. Why do you ask?

Actually not very familiar with the city's politics and was just curious.  Thanks.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 09:23:13 PM »

Actually not very familiar with the city's politics and was just curious.  Thanks.

Really did really, really well in the Lincoln Park ward as well IIRC (just south of Wrigleyville), I think he lost it by like a point.  On the other hand he didn’t do so well in MTG and thr Midway neighborhoods on the Southwest Side.  He def ran behind Trump in Mtg and may have in Midway.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »

Sorry, thought you were trying to make a point
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies