When this President is popular again...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:29:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When this President is popular again...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: When this President is popular again...  (Read 5194 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2005, 06:12:41 PM »

A year from now, when the situation in our country and our world could be totally different, our President may be sitting with approval ratings in the mid 50s. When this President regains his popularity, when Harriet Miers proves herself to be a good Supreme Court Justice, when our party is strong again, I don't want to see the people who left us stranded claiming victory.

I have no problem if you disagree with the President but the way he is being treated is childish at best. We haven't even given this nominee time and some of us are flipping out, even changing avatars from the blue that they once proudly displayed to green or orange. Let me tell you that you were never a Republican if you did that. You never truly believed in our principles as a party. Even if you are going to criticize the President the way you did, how can you leave your party over this?

So, again, if President Bush rebounds and our party picks up steam, don't try to hop on the bandwagon. The party doesn't want people who leave when times get alittle rough or when things don't go exactly as you planned.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 06:15:16 PM »

The party doesn't want people who leave when times get alittle rough or when things don't go exactly as you planned.
I would have to disagree there. The Republicans and the Democrats want as many votes as they can get.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 06:15:26 PM »

I've answered these suggestions. I will never again vote for someone who votes for a Bush hack for office. I can understand him filling the FEC or EPA with his pals, or even putting Gonzales as AG because even he had pretty extensive legal experience, but to promote a woman who's claim to fame is White House Counsel over the heads of legal scholars like Luttig and McConnell is simply insane and is not worthy of my support.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 06:16:07 PM »

This President will never be popular again.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 06:17:46 PM »

I'm sure a few people thought that about Reagan during Iran-Contra. Tell me guys, is this worse than Iran-Contra, too?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM »

I refer you to the second term of FDR.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 06:18:44 PM »

Bush will be fighting just to keep his head above water the next 3 years.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 06:20:45 PM »

Bush will be fighting just to keep his head above water the next 3 years.

I won't argue there, history shows second terms really are "keeping your head above water."

FDR packs the Court. Nixon has Watergate. Reagan gets Iran-Contra. Clinton gets impeached. History is certainly on your side on that one.

But all (besides Nixon) left office very popular men.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 06:21:45 PM »

We haven't even given this nominee time...

Time? God has given her 60 years - and she has proven to be unqualified for the job!
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 06:25:09 PM »

We haven't even given this nominee time...

Time? God has given her 60 years - and she has proven to be unqualified for the job!

rofl
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 06:25:26 PM »

Bush will never be in the '50s again. I mean, you Republicans are all happy that the latest Newsweek poll had his approval rating go up.... to 40%.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 06:28:55 PM »

IMO, Its going to take a 9/11 like major event/catastrophe for this preisdnet to be 'popular' again.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 06:29:58 PM »

Phil with all due respect   your attitude on this is the same type that has lead this White House into unpopularity.  This White House has been plagued by insularity and an immunity from criticism and critique.  It is our right to disagree with and criticise our leaders.  Perhaps if the administration had been more open to criticism we wouldn't still be "turning the corner" in Iraq for the tenth time or have the insurgents on the ropes...again.  The Preisdent is continually surrounding himself with a bunch of yes men and the level of cronyism is disturbing.    Loyality is one thing but to overlook mismanagement out of a sense of loyalty is just bad for the country (<<Rumsfeld).  I don't think any of these diasaffected Republicans want the President to fail- we just expect more. 
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 06:33:54 PM »

The Preisdent is continually surrounding himself with a bunch of yes men and the level of cronyism is disturbing.

Thats the key point I have seen in most conservatives criticism of the Presidents appointment.  There is ZERO logical reasoning why he skipped over  Luttig, Alito, Owens, etc. for this lady.  They dont care if she turns out to be a great pick.  The point is she is not deserving of this spot on the Supreme Court.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 06:35:49 PM »

Bush has always surrounded himself with cronies. He cares little about actual qualifications.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 06:37:05 PM »

Problem with your statement is that many of his cronies were actually qualified (Gonzales, Evans), but this one clearly isn't.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 06:38:02 PM »

Problem with your statement is that many of his cronies were actually qualified (Gonzales, Evans), but this one clearly isn't.

Most of them aren't qualified. Plenty of Mike Browns.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 06:38:40 PM »

In chump change positions and not for life. This one clearly matters a great deal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 06:57:49 PM »

is our right to disagree with and criticise our leaders. 

Again, the twisting of my words. Re-read my statement please. I have disagreed with this President before.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 07:00:45 PM »

IMO, Its going to take a 9/11 like major event/catastrophe for this preisdnet to be 'popular' again.
well, if thats what it takes, then dont be surprised if it happens. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 07:04:32 PM »

Bush has always surrounded himself with cronies. He cares little about actual qualifications.

Ya, I remember how qualified Webster Hubbell (of Arkansas) was during Clinton's term. 

They all do the same thing, c'mon.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 07:07:56 PM »

is our right to disagree with and criticise our leaders. 

Again, the twisting of my words. Re-read my statement please. I have disagreed with this President before.

People are angry Phil and increasingly with very good reason.  It is only an avatar change- you act like you want to banish them from the party for a small and symbolic display of displeasure.  This White House really needs to clean itself up, IMO.  It is living in a cocoon and needs to accept certain political and global realities.  I am getting a little tired of making excuses for the guy.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 07:10:31 PM »

Ya, I remember how qualified Webster Hubbell (of Arkansas) was during Clinton's term. 

They all do the same thing, c'mon.

True, but that doesn't mean that they should not be taking to task for it because they are on our side now.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 07:28:32 PM »

It's funny how everybody believes they can predict what the president's popularity will be over the next 3 years.

Except for the period immediately after 9/11, Bush has never been highly popular.  For most of his term, he has been reasonably popular, and popular enough to be re-elected, but not highly popular.

We need to get some historical perspective here.  Presidents who have been highly popular, as Nixon was at the start of his second term, have been destroyed.  On the other hand, presidents who have had difficulties and appeared to be finished have rebounded strongly -- FDR, Reagan, even Eisenhower had some problems during his second term.

So I think it's a mistake to project 3 years out into the future based on what is happening now.  It seems big now, but in 3 years it may well be a blip.  Only time will tell.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 07:32:52 PM »

It's funny how everybody believes they can predict what the president's popularity will be over the next 3 years.

Except for the period immediately after 9/11, Bush has never been highly popular.  For most of his term, he has been reasonably popular, and popular enough to be re-elected, but not highly popular.

We need to get some historical perspective here.  Presidents who have been highly popular, as Nixon was at the start of his second term, have been destroyed.  On the other hand, presidents who have had difficulties and appeared to be finished have rebounded strongly -- FDR, Reagan, even Eisenhower had some problems during his second term.

So I think it's a mistake to project 3 years out into the future based on what is happening now.  It seems big now, but in 3 years it may well be a blip.  Only time will tell.

His disapproval rating has almost always been going up.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies