MD Governor Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:07:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD Governor Primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MD Governor Primary  (Read 3964 times)
fluffypanther19
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 10:47:05 PM »

I legitimately did not expect Ben Jealous to win. Hadn’t polling out him in second or third?
i thought so too, but i havent been paying this race too much attention
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 10:51:25 PM »

I legitimately did not expect Ben Jealous to win. Hadn’t polling out him in second or third?

I hate to say it, but looking at who won where, Jealous appears to have benefited the most from Kamenetz passing.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »

I hate to say it, but looking at who won where, Jealous appears to have benefited the most from Kamenetz passing.

I was thinking that too. Kamenetz surviving could've split the vote enough to let Baker slip through.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 11:02:56 PM »

Looks like Elrich is going to win, he is up by 467 votes (0.4%) with only 4 precincts left. A second count is scheduled for July 6, but this is appears to be a strong upset in the making. Frick had the money, and the washpo endorsement, Elrich just had his delegate seat base and what appeared to be a strong ground game.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 11:04:10 PM »

Looks like Elrich is going to win, he is up by 467 votes (0.4%) with only 4 precincts left. A second count is scheduled for July 6, but this is appears to be a strong upset in the making. Frick had the money, and the washpo endorsement, Elrich just had his delegate seat base and what appeared to be a strong ground game.

Ugh, not a fan of either.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 11:06:33 PM »

Hogan is favored, but MA and MD have surprise winners, and Ben Jealous is beloved by blacks, unlike Anthony Brown, when the black vote dropoff.

I don't know why Jealous would motivate blacks anymore than Brown could. Brown had a way higher profile and background (Lt. Gov, militarty etc) and more $$. I'm still at a loss as to why Brown couldn't motivate them in '14.

Because he didn't make his case in any sort of way, he coasted and hoped the partisan advantage would do the trick.

Jealous for better or worse at least has made his case and really gone for it. Also, how the heck does being head of NAACP not count for anything?

InheritTheWind

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 11:58:02 PM »

Jealous and Elrich won! Genuinely didn't expect either, but I voted for both and am ecstatic they won.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 12:07:10 AM »

Fantastic! I'm a big fan of Elrich. He's been a longtime progressive voice in Montgomery County, unlike Blair, who's just another opportunistic "entrepreneurial" candidate who's trying to buy the election like David Trone.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 12:21:45 AM »

Fantastic! I'm a big fan of Elrich. He's been a longtime progressive voice in Montgomery County, unlike Blair, who's just another opportunistic "entrepreneurial" candidate who's trying to buy the election like David Trone.

An unexpectedly nice string of progressive victories in Maryland today. Smiley
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 12:33:29 AM »

Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2018, 12:55:24 AM »

Emphasis on unexpectedly.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2018, 01:04:04 AM »

Not really that unexpected. Well at least not with Jealous. That one was coming from miles away.

Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2018, 01:12:49 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2018, 01:18:06 AM by Doctor Imperialism »

Not really that unexpected. Well at least not with Jealous. That one was coming from miles away.

It was clear that Jealous had a path to victory after Kamenetz passed, but I don't think he was ever considered the favorite. Maryland is traditionally a very establishment-friendly state, and I'm really surprised by how badly that establishment got crapped on tonight. From the WaPo:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2018, 01:23:37 AM »

Well, if you ignore that absolute ass Trone winning in MD-06, but other than that, I'm just happy Jealous and Elrich did well.
InheritTheWind

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2018, 07:46:44 AM »

Warning sign for Democrats: While overall turnout was up 12% from the 2014 gubernatorial primary, the increase was concentrated in only 9 counties, with the counties around the D.C. metropolitan area making up almost all of it. 15 counties saw declines in turnout, including every county on the Eastern Shore. It's similar to what we saw in Virginia with Northam's win heavily on the backs of metropolitan areas. The party's infrastructure in non-metropolitan areas continues to atrophy.

It’s a shame that the party is withering in the Eastern shore, among other areas, but Jealous’s path to victory will be paved with higher turnout in the DC suburbs than Brown got. I’m okay with it.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2018, 08:11:28 AM »

Warning sign for Democrats: While overall turnout was up 12% from the 2014 gubernatorial primary, the increase was concentrated in only 9 counties, with the counties around the D.C. metropolitan area making up almost all of it. 15 counties saw declines in turnout, including every county on the Eastern Shore. It's similar to what we saw in Virginia with Northam's win heavily on the backs of metropolitan areas. The party's infrastructure in non-metropolitan areas continues to atrophy.

Northam also won by a lot more than Terry McAuliffe, so I don't see how this is an issue. Especially since it's not like Ds are really relevant at all on the Eastern Shore or in Western Maryland.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »

I had parochial reasons for posting about the Montgomery race here rather than pure ideology. During the past week, the precincts and early voting sites I visited and volunteered for always had Elrich people there. Most of the tie, they were older teachers who genuinely felt compelled to be there rather than young progressives.  I made a few friends. I only ever saw one person from the Frick campaign, and she clearly didn't want to be there. Yesterday, there was only three outside my precinct for most of the day: Me, an Elrich supporter, and a Will Jawando campaigner. If Frick ends up losing via the provisionals and the recount, it will be because he ignored his ground team.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2018, 09:15:40 AM »

Spoken like someone who's never set foot within a hundred miles of the state of Maryland:

Oh no Jealous did worse in the liberal bastion of Cecil County. And what will he do without Kent County liberals?????????2??? TITANIUM R!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »

Weird question, but does anyone else think Ben Jealous looks white?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »

Weird question, but does anyone else think Ben Jealous looks white?

His father is white. When he married Ben's mother (who is black) in 1967, they had to do it in DC as interracial marriages were still illegal in Maryland.
Golden State Guy
Rookie
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2018, 09:41:42 AM »

Personally I think Jealous is a better candidate than Baker.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »

I was thinking the exact same thing after being surprised by the margin that he won with. I wasn't sure who would win between him or Baker, but I didn't expect a victory to be in the double digits.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »

This is an anti incumbent election, throw out conventional wisdom, ME and WI have Moody and Walker who very well get terms in office due to unpopular Mills, and Jealous and Cordray can win due to weakness of DeWine
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2018, 01:43:56 AM »

Spoken like someone who's never set foot within a hundred miles of the state of Maryland:

Oh no Jealous did worse in the liberal bastion of Cecil County. And what will he do without Kent County liberals?HuhHuh??2??? TITANIUM R!

EARLY REPORTS FROM GARRETT COUNTY SHOW A MASSIVE DROPOFF IN DEM TURNOUT. SOUND THE ALARM! #itsraininginbethesda
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »

Northam won less counties than McAuliffe did but managed to win by a far wider margin and win many more legislative districts as a result. I think any sane person would opt for the Northam coalition every time

Also, like VA and elsewhere, many of these rural counties are losing population and voters
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies