Why are "socially liberal but fiscally moderate/conservative" people so hated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:43:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why are "socially liberal but fiscally moderate/conservative" people so hated?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why are "socially liberal but fiscally moderate/conservative" people so hated?  (Read 3805 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »

The answer is that in the US, proponents of the "socially liberal but fiscally moderate/conservative" ideology were for decades treated as if their own ideology was self-evident, didn't need to be justified in policy decisions, and constituted the only set of persuadable swing voters that existed in America e.g. obviously the Republicans must all become libertarians to remain relevant, e.g. the views of upscale suburban America are the quintessential swing voter, e.g. obviously social conservstism and religious dogma will all disappear if only people knew the facts, obviously the world is inevitably progressing to a single capitalist world state, etc.

Then, once Trump came along and burned the place down, everyone suddenly became aware they were being played by a demographic constituting maybe 5% of the country into thinking everyone was secretly "socially liberal but fiscally moderate/conservative". Thus it achieved its current level of hatred across the board.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2018, 01:25:40 PM by HillGoose »

The answer is that in the US, proponents of the "socially liberal but fiscally moderate/conservative" ideology were for decades treated as if their own ideology was self-evident, didn't need to be justified in policy decisions, and constituted the only set of persuadable swing voters that existed in America e.g. obviously the Republicans must all become libertarians to remain relevant, e.g. the views of upscale suburban America are the quintessential swing voter, e.g. obviously social conservstism and religious dogma will all disappear if only people knew the facts, obviously the world is inevitably progressing to a single capitalist world state, etc.

Then, once Trump came along and burned the place down, everyone suddenly became aware they were being played by a demographic constituting maybe 5% of the country into thinking everyone was secretly "socially liberal but fiscally moderate/conservative". Thus it achieved its current level of hatred across the board.

5%? I find that hard to believe, given that as recently as 2013 I seem to recall the common description of their personal political views by most teenagers and twentysomethings on the forums I frequented (that weren't politically oriented) seemed to be that they were socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

Also way more than 5% of people I know fit the "economic conservatism and social liberalism" views, even though I live in redneck hick country. The demographic that I've seen displaying these views most recently are younger women from well off families, as well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2018, 06:03:40 AM »

DON'T *clap* FEED *clap* THE *clap* TROLL *clap*
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »

Basically this
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »

Because the big mass media corporation are too biased supporting them, and everyone who receives too much support from the mass media become hated.

Mass media corporations love Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Tony Blair, Angela Merkel and Emmanuel Macron
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2018, 02:48:17 PM »

Because it's a vague and meaningless plattitude deployed by the terminally smug? See: "common sense solutions", "I don't have no ideology, I just use evidence based solutions" etc. It's the label a coward uses to avoid making a stand.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2018, 03:03:02 PM »

Because the big mass media corporation are too biased supporting them, and everyone who receives too much support from the mass media become hated.

Mass media corporations love Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Tony Blair, Angela Merkel and Emmanuel Macron

Would you really call Merkel fiscally conservative and socially liberal? She's been very pragmatic on domestic economic issues (while imposing ruthless austerity on Greece lol) and she's not exactly liberal on social issues. She voted against gay marriage. Merkel is very much a (globalist) establishment creature, but being an establishment creature doesn't make you fiscally conservative/socially liberal.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2018, 03:07:32 PM »

Because it's a vague and meaningless plattitude deployed by the terminally smug? See: "common sense solutions", "I don't have no ideology, I just use evidence based solutions" etc. It's the label a coward uses to avoid making a stand.

Surely, you believe there are people who have arrived at left-of-center policy views on social issues and right-of-center policy views on economic issues and aren't doing it to try to achieve some moral or intellectual superiority, yes?  I mean, I hope your main gripe is with the creation of the tagline.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2018, 03:31:30 PM »

Surely, you believe there are people who have arrived at left-of-center policy views on social issues and right-of-center policy views on economic issues and aren't doing it to try to achieve some moral or intellectual superiority, yes?  I mean, I hope your main gripe is with the creation of the tagline.

I'm not sure whether you also have the same experience, but from my personal experience your average postgraduate anti-populist left-winger is much more insufferable than the average fiscally conservative/socially liberal person.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »

Because the economic issues have an implicit social impact and you can't really be a social liberal and fiscal conservative* at the same time.

* Props to whoever called out the fact that "fiscal" and "economic" aren't synonyms, but that's the language we're stuck with.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies