Yet another Tory leadership contest!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:00:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Yet another Tory leadership contest!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Poll
Question: Who would you like to see win?
David Cameron

Kenneth Clarke

David Davis

Liam Fox

Edward Leigh

Theresa May

Malcolm Rifkind

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Yet another Tory leadership contest!  (Read 26822 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2005, 03:06:02 PM »

A Guide

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk_politics/05/con_contenders/html/default.stm

I have an actual vote! Whoo!

Seriously. I support Ken Clarke wholeheartedly, but I have a strong like for David Cameron and an inbuilt hatred of Liam Fox. So for me it's whoever can stop David Davis. (but isn't to the right of him) 

Conference should be fun. Ken speaks tomorrow.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 03:09:13 PM »

I reckon that it'll be someone posh or a psycho Wink
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:39:45 PM »

I've always liked Rifkind though I disagree with him a fair bit, especially over Europe. I'd most likely vote Davis if I could.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 05:44:56 PM »

Iain Duncan....! Oh, nevermind. I give up.

Seriously though. Who is most likely to get the spot? I need to find some background info on whoever it is to be prepared for PM Questions!  Smiley
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 07:00:43 PM »

Clarke!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 07:02:43 PM »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Clarke would be a Democrat over here.  The fact that that the Conservative party is generally centrist in American terms, and Clarke is on the left wing of that party says it all.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 07:21:42 PM »

which one  would be the best candidate to lead the conservatives to victory.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 07:23:50 PM »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Clarke would be a Democrat over here.  The fact that that the Conservative party is generally centrist in American terms, and Clarke is on the left wing of that party says it all.

I believe I indicated that I would support him for leader of the Conservative Party, not the U.S. Republican Party Smiley

Given the greatness of Tony Blair, I just about have better feelings about Labour than I do about Conservatives.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 03:17:05 AM »

Well the Tories are only centrist in American terms on a couple of social issues (albeit ones that are often crucial; like abortion) and on a couple of issues where they have to be to avoid a wipeout (healthcare)... the Republican party is (for the most part) far more open to government intervention in the economy than the Tories are (although this is a new-ish development) for one thing.
It's very hard to see Clarke as a Democrat; he'd probably be a sort of Rockefeller-Republican type. Remember he first entered Parliament in 1970.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 05:42:44 AM »

If their clever they'll plumb for Cameron, their not though...

...it'll probablly be witteled down to Clark vs Davis with Davis winning and becoming an unspectacular leader with another mixed result for the party in 2009, baring a Labour collapse.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 06:16:47 AM »

So what rules are being used?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 06:39:42 AM »

The old ones (i.e. the ones that elected IDS) because the new ones couldn't get a supermajority in the National Convention of Local Chairmen (it only got 58%). Frankly, this is a good thing since the proposed new rules were somewhat stupid. They need to go the way of an electoral college longer term, which gives everybody a say in the final round, but not having the MPs reduced to the ranks of the rank and file members.

FTR, I support Ken Clarke, and if he wins I will join probably (re)join the Conservative Party.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 06:41:17 AM »

Thanks Pete.

Which of these candidates has the best chances of leading the Tories to oblivion?
That's the one I support. Grin
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 07:06:23 AM »

David Cameron - Would be another Leader (After IDS) not to have held government office before, and is relatively inexperienced as an MP (entered Parliament only in 2001). He has little name recognition with the public, and thus I think he is not the man for today, but as we learn more about him, he may become more appealing as a future leader.

Ken Clarke - Has held almost every major government office except the Foreign Office. Been in Parliament since 1970 - he is known well by the public. Is considered to be a social liberal and pro-European - this may hurt him with the party, but certainly the social liberalism may attract a whole new generation of young Tories.

David Davies - Was a Government Whip and Minister of State at the Foreign Office under Major. Described as a right winger (and certainly Eurosceptic), he has nonetheless been endorsed by many modernisers, most notably David Willetts. Popular with activists, and his humble origins on a council estate probably do make him quite attractive to old working class Tories who have since gone other ways.

Liam Fox - Again a government whip and a PUSS at the Foreign Office under Major. Certainly right wing, both economically and socially. Has made overtures on greater restriction of abortion. Personally I see him as being another IDS, just Scottish.

Edward Leigh - Even more right wing than Fox - seen as the Redwoodite candidate for the leadership and has famously boasted of his total opposition to gay rights. He once served as a government minister and is presently chairman of the powerful Public Accounts Committee (not incomparable to US Ways and Means Committee). Personally, this would certainly see me voting Labour for the duration of his leadership and might well create a generation with few Tories in it.

Theresa May - Difficult to pigeonhole into any camp, though regarded by many as a moderniser. Like Cameron, she has no government experience having entered Parliament in 97, but has held a variety of cabinet posts, though her appointment as Shadow Secretary for the Family before the last election was widely seen as a demotion. More famous for her shoes than any particular ideological or intellectual vision, I personally see her as all style and no substance.

Malcolm Rifkind - Former Defence and Foreign Secretary under Major. Was an MP in Edinburgh from 1974 to 97, but lost his seat in the Labour landslide and then failed to regain it in 2001. Finally got a new seat in 2005 in Kensington and Chelsea. A one-nation moderniser like Clarke, but instead Eurosceptic. Many feel he has been out of Parliament too long and spent too long outside the public consciousness to be a good choice for leader.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 07:18:29 AM »

Anyone got a list of which Tory MP's have endorsed who?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 08:59:00 AM »

Whoever takes the party to the hard right (i.e. to oblivion), would gladly enjoy my support Wink

Dave
Angel of Death
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 05:08:50 PM »

Whoever takes the party to the hard right (i.e. to oblivion), would gladly enjoy my support Wink

Dave

Oh, you support proportional representation then? Because I'm confident that that would keep the Tories out of power for a VERY long time to come.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 08:10:03 AM »

Dave

Oh, you support proportional representation then? Because I'm confident that that would keep the Tories out of power for a VERY long time to come.

I'm sure it would Wink but I don't like PR. My prefered voting system would be either Alternative Vote or second ballot (with a run-off between the top two and only the top two)with single member constituencies. This, too, I suspect would work against Wink the Tories

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 08:11:19 AM »

Bye, the Tory rightwingers aren't doing well in this poll. Shame!

Dave
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 08:54:19 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2005, 08:58:02 AM by Michael Z »

David Davis's speech was the worst of the conference so far, which suits me fine given my loathing of the man. I hope Clarke wins, picks Cameron as his deputy (kind of a leader-in-waiting), and then hopefully we should have a decent opposition at last.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 08:56:51 AM »

David Davis's speech was the worst of the conference so far, which suits me fine given my loathing of the man. I hope Clarke wins, picks Cameron as his deputy (kind of a leader-in-waiting), and then hopefully we should have a decent opposition at last.

I'm all for a decent opposition to keep Labour on its toes. I just don't want them back in power

I'm not calling this race for any one yet

Dave

Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 08:58:56 AM »

Lol. I'm tempted to agree, but to be honest it was bad enough dealing with Howard on my TV screen for two years; I could not bear four more years of someone like Davis or Fox driving me up the wall.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 10:23:15 AM »

Dave

Yes, but it would also save them from oblivion.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 10:48:01 AM »

Dave

I'm sure it would Wink but I don't like PR. My prefered voting system would be either Alternative Vote or second ballot (with a run-off between the top two and only the top two)with single member constituencies. This, too, I suspect would work against Wink the Tories

Well, under either system it wouldn't be long before the Tory party was totally wiped out of some areas of the country, and mostly restricted to the Home Counties.

This will then lead to either Labour or the Lib Dems taking on a more right wing stance - I suspect Labour might be the ones in this regard. Whilst it might wipe out the Tories, it would cause a re-alignment that would see them replaced.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 11:08:57 AM »

Well, of course. They're not just going to die out without replacement.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies