What Was Jimmy Carter's Biggest Shortcoming As President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:36:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What Was Jimmy Carter's Biggest Shortcoming As President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Not Understanding Congress

Not WANTING To Understand Congress

Idealism

Hubris

Lack Of Foreign Policy Experience

Not Pragmatic/Too Humane (Shah)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: What Was Jimmy Carter's Biggest Shortcoming As President?  (Read 1974 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 08:12:08 AM »

Carter never really saw the need to cultivate Congress.  He didn't really have support from the more conservative Democrats, but the liberals saw him as a sell-out when he tilted slightly rightward.  And he was rather stand-offish with Congressional Democrats, when he should have done everything to make them his pals, all of them.  His own Georgia Democratic delegation was amazingly distant from him.

Better Congressional relations would have pre-empted a primary challenge.  I voted for Kennedy in the 1980 Democratic Primary.  I regret that now.  Carter was not deserving of being replaced as the nominee, and I believe, in hindsight, that a second term for Carter may well have pre-empted the permanent tilt of politics toward the wealthiest in our society that is the single worst characteristic of out politics today.

My ignore on you seems to have been lifted.  I don't remember doing that, but it coincides with me thinking more highly of you.  (I certainly hope you never cared about my opinion of you though.)

This is another example of Carter's impractical idealism. He wasn't just standoffish with them, but he refused to accomodate their porkbarrel politics or earmarks.  Certainly high-minded idealism and the 'right thing' to do, but he never had an alternative approach to get Congress to go along with him.

It's much easier to be ethical when you have alternatives.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 04:26:22 PM »

He didn't unify Democratic support. He won on the votes of evangelicals and conservatives in the South who promptly bailed on him four years later and neglected the Democratic base. As a result, the base defected to Ted Kennedy, leaving him with no hope of re-election.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »

Probably just timing. He probably became President during one of the most tumultuous times possible. But most of that tumult came from foreign policy issues, so I voted for that option.

Maybe, especially if you count the gas shortage of 1979/80 as resulting from foreign policy issues, but are you familiar with the 'misery index?'

I am. That was definitely part of the timing thing to me.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »

He was the only prez not to have a SCrt pick, which was have put a stamp on his presidency, like Bill Clinton did, or Obama.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies