Is ILLEGAL Immigration a PROBLEM? Or is ILLEGAL Immigration OK With You?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:18:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is ILLEGAL Immigration a PROBLEM? Or is ILLEGAL Immigration OK With You?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Do you believe that Illegal Immigration is a problem that needs to be reduced?
Yes, it's a major problem

Yes, but it's only a minor problem

Unsure

No; it's something we can live with

No; I'm totally OK with people coming here legally or illegally

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 174

Author Topic: Is ILLEGAL Immigration a PROBLEM? Or is ILLEGAL Immigration OK With You?  (Read 6649 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2018, 11:29:41 PM »

I really don't believe most people here think illegal immigration is a problem.  I think they're OK with it and want it to continue.

Here's folks' chance to prove me wrong.
Kodak
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 11:33:22 PM »

Depends.

Does someone who arrives at the border without permission and seeks asylum in the US belong in the same category as someone who knowingly overstays a visa?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 11:39:30 PM »

Option 2 and really this should be common sense.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 11:40:24 PM »

If someone is here undocumented but is working and just trying to live a calm life, I really don't care.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:40:51 PM »

To do my best Marco Rubio impression, it can be both.  A person can believe that there is a problem in principle with people entering the United States illegally, but that in practice the illegals are not a problem.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 11:43:27 PM »

Obviously its an issue. Further restricting immigration and putting immigrants in concentration camps is not the way to deal with it, though. It fixes nothing, is immoral, and costs way too much money.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 11:49:19 PM »

Obviously its an issue. Further restricting immigration and putting immigrants in concentration camps is not the way to deal with it, though. It fixes nothing, is immoral, and costs way too much money.

Taking in millions of poor Latin Americans, giving them welfare, and giving welfare to all their descendants until the end of time, that doesn't cost a lot of money?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:53:40 PM »

I'm much more worried about the THREAT posed to our nation by Nazi-like FASCISTS who call themselves 'Republicans' than I am by the human beings who desperately want to live and work here.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 12:02:55 AM »

I'm much more worried about the THREAT posed to our nation by Nazi-like FASCISTS who call themselves 'Republicans' than I am by the human beings who desperately want to live and work here.

Indeed
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 12:06:28 AM »

Taking in millions of poor Latin Americans, giving them welfare, and giving welfare to all their descendants until the end of time, that doesn't cost a lot of money?
Undocumented immigrants don't receive welfare because they aren't eligible. Undocumented immigrants do pay taxes that pay for programs for citizens though.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 12:11:57 AM »

I know delusion is fun for you to live in, but illegal immigrants aren't criminals or welfare queens. You're just racist as hell.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 12:13:23 AM »

Undocumented immigrants don't receive welfare because they aren't eligible. Undocumented immigrants do pay taxes that pay for programs for citizens though.

I also said for all their descendants until the end of time.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 12:15:11 AM »

I know delusion is fun for you to live in, but illegal immigrants aren't criminals or welfare queens. You're just racist as hell.

Illegal immigrants are mostly welfare queens. Obviously not every single one but most. They come here because we have welfare programs that their own countries do not. They are welfare migrants.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 12:21:38 AM »

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 12:25:15 AM »

It's an issue. And I support reasonable solutions to solve it, like, I don't know, this: https://www.collins.senate.gov/sites/default/files/Text%20of%20Immigration%20Security%20and%20Opportunity%20Act.pdf

or this: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/16/16879632/daca-bill-durbin-graham

or if you want to go a few years back, this: https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/744/text

What I don't support would be these ridiculous changes to legal immigration that Trump is demanding. That's simply not where the problem lies.

Hooog
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 12:26:27 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2018, 02:48:25 AM by Vice President PiT »

Old man finds immigrant children scary but wishes everyone would just leave the Nazi's alone because they're not harming anyone.  Shocking.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 12:27:48 AM »

No, it's not.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 12:28:43 AM »

It’s low on my priority list. If they’re caught at the border, send them back, if they make it, I don’t really care. There are significantly worse problems facing this country.
The Materialist
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 12:49:08 AM »

No, and I wouldn't allow myself to be shamed into it by you if I were a regular poster.

The law has no independent existence outside of the authorities who enforce it and the individuals who obey it. And the economy ought to not be distorted to meet the protectionist demands of people who cannot compete within a free market.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 12:53:21 AM »

It's an issue. And I support reasonable solutions to solve it, like, I don't know, this: https://www.collins.senate.gov/sites/default/files/Text%20of%20Immigration%20Security%20and%20Opportunity%20Act.pdf

or this: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/16/16879632/daca-bill-durbin-graham

or if you want to go a few years back, this: https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/744/text

What I don't support would be these ridiculous changes to legal immigration that Trump is demanding. That's simply not where the problem lies.

It is what is driving the politics behind this issue though.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 01:07:50 AM »

Illegal immigrants are mostly welfare queens. Obviously not every single one but most. They come here because we have welfare programs that their own countries do not. They are welfare migrants.
It's amazing how you say so much, and how nothing you say is true.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 01:16:28 AM »

They are just people like you and me. Trying to make a better life for themselves and their children.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 01:23:44 AM »

Have them pay a fine in exchange for a pathway to citizenship.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 01:45:29 AM »

They are just people like you and me. Trying to make a better life for themselves and their children.

True. But we don't owe it to them.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 02:36:49 AM »

LOL, you do realize America's welfare system is actually terrible, right? They come because it has a strong economy and good opportunities, but more importantly, a good security that will keep them and their children safe, unlike in their home countries.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies