"Alcohol and tobacco are legal" as an argument for marijuana legalization
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:44:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  "Alcohol and tobacco are legal" as an argument for marijuana legalization
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of this argument?
Freedom Argument

Horrible Argument

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: "Alcohol and tobacco are legal" as an argument for marijuana legalization  (Read 1293 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »

I've heard this argument often.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »

eh..i'm not a huge fan of that talking point.although i think it should be legal don't get me wrong
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 05:51:33 PM »

it's a great argument because it quickly points out a lot of obvious hypocrisy from "straights".
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 06:19:33 PM »

Bad argument.

How intertwined a vice is in a culture is should be a factor in its regulation. Booze would be a lot harder to ban in the West than an majority Muslim country for example.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 07:40:11 PM »

I don't like the talking point but essentially they do have a point, so I voted freedom argument.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 10:13:28 PM »

Horrible argument because alcohol and tobacco should be illegal too.  Unfortunately, they are so infiltrated into our society at this point that banning them would cause way too much trouble to be worth it.  We can't let marijuana become a third great drug.  We messed up historically with alcohol and tobacco- let's not do it again with marijuana.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 10:37:52 PM »

Horrible argument because alcohol and tobacco should be illegal too.  Unfortunately, they are so infiltrated into our society at this point that banning them would cause way too much trouble to be worth it.  We can't let marijuana become a third great drug.  We messed up historically with alcohol and tobacco- let's not do it again with marijuana.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:40:14 PM »

Newsflash, it already is such a drug. Oh, and prohibition with the other two didn't work out so well.

Nope, it's a great argument considering where things are, might as well legalize it and tax the sh*( out of it, with a side of Utah-style blue laws. Oh the glorious revenue to be had.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 10:48:35 PM »

Freedom argument, mostly because the dangers of alcohol and especially tobacco are much greater than the dangers of marijuana.

The problem is, both have become highly ingrained into our culture while marijuana has always been a countercultural drug, despite being much less dangerous than either of the two.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »

Freedom argument, mostly because the dangers of alcohol and especially tobacco are much greater than the dangers of marijuana.
you seem to be saying tobacco is worse than alcohol.  Alcohol kills young people and starngers in violent ways, tobacco only kills the person doing it and then, only when they're old.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 12:22:27 AM »

Tobacco is a lot more dangerous than weed given how addictive it is yet support for it being illegal is much lower. I guess you could say both should be illegal, but very few people do and the consensus position here is essentially a nonsense position. People who want to ban tobacco halfway have a point but I still wouldn't support it.

For my hot take of the day prostitution being illegal makes even less sense than any of this stuff, with the possible exception of alcohol. 

you seem to be saying tobacco is worse than alcohol.  Alcohol kills young people and starngers in violent ways, tobacco only kills the person doing it and then, only when they're old.

The issue is you can use alcohol responsibly. I regularly drink socially (and often hard liquor at that) but have never in my life been drunk.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 12:47:13 AM »

Sure, you can smoke "responsibly" too.  It might be harder, but it's certainly doable.  Doesn't change the fact that alcohol kills many thousands of young people and random strangers every year.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 01:26:35 AM »

Tobacco is a lot more dangerous than weed given how addictive it is yet support for it being illegal is much lower. I guess you could say both should be illegal, but very few people do
I'm guessing that there's few people who think that banning tobacco would work.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 07:45:03 AM »

Sure, you can smoke "responsibly" too.  It might be harder, but it's certainly doable.  Doesn't change the fact that alcohol kills many thousands of young people and random strangers every year.
No, you can't. Also, smoking is disgusting for everyone around the smoker. I should be able to enjoy my life without being near cigarette smoke.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 07:55:07 AM »

No, you can't.
yes you can...this is fun!
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I'm pretty sure that's easy to do in California USA in 2018.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 07:59:04 AM »

Newsflash, it already is such a drug. Oh, and prohibition with the other two didn't work out so well.

Nope, it's a great argument considering where things are, might as well legalize it and tax the sh*( out of it, with a side of Utah-style blue laws. Oh the glorious revenue to be had.
It'll be on the way to being such a drug if decent society does nothing.
We should not be locking people up for consuming it, but we should punish people who sell it. Marijuana should not be seen as mainstream in civil society, period.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 08:15:33 AM »

It'll be on the way to being such a drug if decent society does nothing.
We should not be locking people up for consuming it, but we should punish people who sell it. Marijuana should not be seen as mainstream in civil society, period.
well, thank Og most people disagree with you and since we live in a (nominally) free society, society gets to decide....slowly, via, ya know, letting our voices be heard through the various means we have to do that.  And we are doing it slowly, trying it out...seeing how it fits and looks in the mirror.  So far so good.  You'd think if there were any huge negative aspects to it, they would be showing up by now...but they're not.  Just like anybody that knows anything about it would have assumed.

"decent society" is overrated anyway.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »

The primary reason marijuana should be legalized is because too many people use it, and, consequently, it’s not worth the social price (read: incarceration of multitudes) to police.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 08:56:05 AM »

The primary reason marijuana should be legalized is because too many people use it, and, consequently, it’s not worth the social price (read: incarceration of multitudes) to police.
Which prohibition could be "worth it" from a utilitarian POV if society had a meaningful ROI from it. It doesn't.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 08:56:11 AM »

stupid, oversimplifying.

I don't care if any of them are legal (okay I might be mad if alcohol was illegal) but I think using a blanket argument like that is kind of disregarding the nuances of each.

I only support recreational marijuana legalization being done on the state level, after the Supreme Court strikes down laws prohibiting it, decriminalizing it nationwide.

I don't think recreational marijuana should be legalized federally, just decriminalized by the judicial branch. I don't think Congress should get involved with that.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »

And thankfully we corrected that up! Smiley

Anywho, as I have posted before ... I get it logically, and I support marijuana legalization (with stricter laws about public use), but proponents of this talking point tend to be very annoying and with completely deluded views about the cultural significance alcohol enjoys in our society.  They also tend to slowly slip into simply bashing alcohol use, which is turning off more people than they're gaining in support.  Alcohol is a very, very social drug in a way that marijuana isn't, and if people want to gain more supporters for legalization, trashing beer isn't going to win anyone over.
Small L
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »

Obviously fallacious. It's like saying we should ban alcohol because marijuana is illegal.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »

Whataboutism at its finest.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »