New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:35:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Author Topic: New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)  (Read 15391 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2018, 04:12:28 PM »

Here's to hoping both the Nazis and the people out there counter protesting can get their act together and not escalate things.  

When has there ever been a time where "Nazis not escalate things?" (Either in the early 1940's or today?)
They're Nazis!

I find it hilarious you're not also calling out the "Punch a Nazi" idiots.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »

Here's to hoping both the Nazis and the people out there counter protesting can get their act together and not escalate things.  

When has there ever been a time where "Nazis not escalate things?" (Either in the early 1940's or today?)
They're Nazis!

Would you also like us to criticize and "call out" the US/English/WWII-Allied soldiers who fought against the Nazis in the early 1940's?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2018, 04:37:52 PM »

They're Nazis!

Would you also like us to criticize and "call out" the US/English/WWII-Allied soldiers who fought against the Nazis in the early 1940's?

Not even remotely the same, dude.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2018, 04:42:07 PM »

They're Nazis!

"Both sides do it!"

You have to be quite morally vacant to unironically argue from that standpoint.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »

If that's the case, should I report Antifa membership to those folks' employers?  Should I report BLM membership to those folks' employers.  Should I hope THEY get fired?  How about the followers of the racist Louis Farrakhan?  Many of his followers are diligent workers with strong work ethics that are assets to their employers; should I move for them to get fired?  

*phone rings*

Fuzzy Bear: Hi, I'd like to file a complaint against one of your employees.

Applebees Manager: Oh my. What seems to be the problem.

Fuzzy Bear: Well... one of your employees follows the teachings of Louis Farrakhan! He should be FIRED immediately.

Applebees Manager: Louis who? Fork ham? Who the hell is that? Get the hell off my line weirdo.
The funny thing here is that Farrakhan endorsed Trump and is an ally of the Alt-Right because they share the same end goal (dividing the US into racially-pure ethnostates).
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2018, 05:01:59 PM by fhtagn »

They're Nazis!

"Both sides do it!"

Assaulting someone because you don't like their views is stupid, plain and simple. Not hard to understand. It's terrible no matter who does it.

You don't have any room to talk about someone being morally vacant if you seriously think that's acceptable.
BundouYMB

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »

They're Nazis!

"Both sides do it!"

Assaulting someone because you don't like their views is stupid, plain and simple. Not hard to understand.

You don't have any room to talk about someone being morally vacant if you seriously think that's acceptable.

LOL! Fighting Nazis is "assaulting someone because you don't like their political views"? So the soldiers in the trenches of Europe in WWII shooting at the Germans were "assaulting someone because they don't like their views"?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2018, 05:03:24 PM »

They're Nazis!

"Both sides do it!"

Assaulting someone because you don't like their views is stupid, plain and simple. Not hard to understand.

Antifa weren't the ones who murdered Heather Heyer in Charlottesville, and beyond that, Antifa isn't the side that has an ideology premised on racism and violence.  If they incite people with fascistic rhetoric, they should expect anti-fascists to push back.  Anti-fascists aren't going to lie down and allow fascism to gain momentum and legitimacy.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2018, 05:06:27 PM »

I would like to take this opportunity to call out the evil individual who punched Richard B. Spencer (who is a well respected man and despite his viewpoints, is a man above reproach). Physical violence is WRONG. NO MATTER WHO DOES IT. The evil individual, who people tell me is a member of the venomous ANTIFA, who despite what they say are no better than Spencer although Spencer is better than them.

Spencer was peacefully, in full view of everyone, attempting to explain the importance of a garden variety frog lapel to a reporter when a violent, sadistic person punched him square in the face. Just because Richard Spencer called for (PEACEFUL) ethnic cleansing IS NO EXCUSE FOR VIOLENCE. Punching """""Nazi's""""" (who are actually identitarians and have no relationship with the NSDAP, which has been dissolved since 1945 and has no purpose being a part of the discourse relating to identity and nationalism) will only BEGET more violence. The counterprotestors at Charlottesville were in the wrong for that very reason.

WHEN WILL THE RADICAL LEFT LEARN THIS? DO THEY NOT REMEMBER THE DAYS OF THE SOVIET UNION? OF COURSE THEY DON'T. I fully expect to have this post 'deleted' because some people here are hell bent on creating violence, in which case, don't say I didn't warn you when Richard Spencer is forced to build internment camps to house you folks.

VIOLENCE IS BAD. ON MANY SIDES. TIME TO CALL IT OUT!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2018, 05:09:46 PM »

They're Nazis!

"Both sides do it!"

Antifa weren't the ones who murdered Heather Heyer in Charlottesville, and beyond that, Antifa isn't the side that has an ideology premised on racism and violence.  If they incite people with fascistic rhetoric, they should expect anti-fascists to push back.  Anti-fascists aren't going to lie down and allow fascism to gain momentum and legitimacy.

It's absolutely inexcusable that Heather Heyer died, and at no point did I defend the guy who was responsible. But just because someone died doesn't excuse sh*tty behavior from Antifa and their supporters. If you support Nazis, you're scum. If you support Antifa, you're also scum. But you don't deserve to be physically harmed for it.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »

They're Nazis!

"Both sides do it!"

LOL! Fighting Nazis is "assaulting someone because you don't like their political views"? So the soldiers in the trenches of Europe in WWII shooting at the Germans were "assaulting someone because they don't like their views"?

Fighting in an actual war with real Nazis that were responsible for the deaths of millions =/= punching some alt-right "Nazi" scumbag cause they said awful things.

If you honestly think those two are even remotely the same things, please do yourself a favor and go back to school, visit a Holocaust museum, and watch some videos or read stories from survivors. If you do all those things and still think they're the same, I feel sorry for you.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2018, 05:26:14 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2018, 05:30:04 PM by Ronnie »

If you're calling both antifa supporters and nazis "scum" without distinguishing between the two at all, then you're still making a moral equivalence between both sides, which I think is a cowardly position to take.  One side says they want to violently oppress vulnerable people, and anti-fascists...want to stop that from happening.  Nazis are the inciters, not the other way around.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »

If you're calling both antifa supporters and nazis "scum" without distinguishing between the two at all, then you're still making a moral equivalence between both sides, which I think is a cowardly position to take.  One side says they want to violently oppress vulnerable people, and the other...wants to stop that from happening.  Nazis are the inciters, not the other way around.

Just because they say dumb things doesn't make it acceptable to cause them harm, or escalate things to a point where someone is harmed. If they actually make any attempt to round up Jews and other minorities to harm or kill them, by all means, then step in. But until that happens, they have every right to spew their garbage, but you do not have the right to cause them physical harm.
BundouYMB

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2018, 05:31:21 PM »

They're Nazis!

"Both sides do it!"

Fighting in an actual war with real Nazis that were responsible for the deaths of millions =/= punching some alt-right "Nazi" scumbag cause they said awful things.

If you honestly think those two are even remotely the same things, please do yourself a favor and go back to school, visit a Holocaust museum, and watch some videos or read stories from survivors. If you do all those things and still think they're the same, I feel sorry for you.

So, wait, fighting Nazis is okay... but only AFTER they come to power and murder millions of innocent people? When they're just drumming up support and openly promising to commit genocide once they get enough supporters, that's just peachy and we should look the other way? Because that's exactly what "awful things" these people are saying. They're advocating genocide.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2018, 05:39:03 PM »

An article from Vox also says:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2018, 05:42:58 PM »

They're Nazis!

"Both sides do it!"

So, wait, fighting Nazis is okay... but only AFTER they come to power and murder millions of innocent people? When they're just drumming up support and openly promising to commit genocide once they get enough supporters, that's just peachy and we should look the other way? Because that's exactly what "awful things" these people are saying. They're advocating genocide.

Bolded the key word there. They are saying dumb sh*t. But they are not actually doing the dumb sh*t.

What they are advocating is absolutely not okay, and at no point have I ever defended the things they are saying. But they have the right to assemble and make fools of themselves when they speak. People who don't like it have every right to publicly disagree with them, their employers have every right to fire them for taking part in it, if they own a business, people have every right to no longer spend money at their establishment, their loved ones have every right to not associate with them. But people do not have the right to physically harm them because they don't like what they are saying.

If someone on their side crosses the line and actually does harm someone, we have laws that ensure they are held accountable for it. There is no need for some Antifa supporter to step in and take it into their own hands.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »

They're Nazis!

"Both sides do it!"

Bolded the key word there. They are saying dumb sh*t. But they are not actually doing the dumb sh*t.

What they are advocating is absolutely not okay, and at no point have I ever defended the things they are saying. But they have the right to assemble and make fools of themselves when they speak. People who don't like it have every right to publicly disagree with them, their employers have every right to fire them for taking part in it, if they own a business, people have every right to no longer spend money at their establishment, their loved ones have every right to not associate with them. But people do not have the right to physically harm them because they don't like what they are saying.

If someone on their side crosses the line and actually does harm someone, we have laws that ensure they are held accountable for it. There is no need for some Antifa supporter to step in and take it into their own hands.

Indeed. 
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2018, 07:36:09 PM »

Why did they pick a County that gave Trump only 4% of the vote in 2016. Literally his lowest in the entire nation.

I guess the Nazis wanted to be close to their Fuhrer.
The park/area they will be gathering at (Lafayette Square), will be right across the street from the White House.

Sure are dumb Nazis, he's gonna be in Bedminster that weekend
https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/noticeView.aspx?nid=7927
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2018, 08:09:37 PM »

How is this much different from a Trump campaign rally?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2018, 08:34:11 PM »

I would like to take this opportunity to call out the evil individual who punched Richard B. Spencer (who is a well respected man and despite his viewpoints, is a man above reproach). Physical violence is WRONG. NO MATTER WHO DOES IT. The evil individual, who people tell me is a member of the venomous ANTIFA, who despite what they say are no better than Spencer although Spencer is better than them.

Spencer was peacefully, in full view of everyone, attempting to explain the importance of a garden variety frog lapel to a reporter when a violent, sadistic person punched him square in the face. Just because Richard Spencer called for (PEACEFUL) ethnic cleansing IS NO EXCUSE FOR VIOLENCE. Punching """""Nazi's""""" (who are actually identitarians and have no relationship with the NSDAP, which has been dissolved since 1945 and has no purpose being a part of the discourse relating to identity and nationalism) will only BEGET more violence. The counterprotestors at Charlottesville were in the wrong for that very reason.

WHEN WILL THE RADICAL LEFT LEARN THIS? DO THEY NOT REMEMBER THE DAYS OF THE SOVIET UNION? OF COURSE THEY DON'T. I fully expect to have this post 'deleted' because some people here are hell bent on creating violence, in which case, don't say I didn't warn you when Richard Spencer is forced to build internment camps to house you folks.

VIOLENCE IS BAD. ON MANY SIDES. TIME TO CALL IT OUT!

Lol.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »

The violence used in a handful of cases by counterprotesters is unfortunate, but the use of it to create moral equivalency between the two sides is ridiculous. Why do you think these people come to the bluest cities in the country LARPing as riot police and carrying guns and weapons? They are there because they want to intimidate, to feel powerful. I find it very difficult to fault people responding poorly to an invasion of their neighborhood by people preaching violence and hatred, even if they only sometimes 'act' on it. Really, is there no problem with people in armor with Nazi flags marching through black neighborhoods chanting 'you will not replace us'? The right's deflection to antifa excuses and condones this. Frankly, although I am nowhere near them politically, I think it is great that antifa exists and shows up to these events, because they are refusing the fascists the intimidation power that they crave. I certainly would show up for a counterprotest if fascists came to march through my front yard, and the fact that someone with a red bandada punched a guy doesn't weigh too heavily on that decision.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2018, 09:06:50 PM »

If you're calling both antifa supporters and nazis "scum" without distinguishing between the two at all, then you're still making a moral equivalence between both sides, which I think is a cowardly position to take.  One side says they want to violently oppress vulnerable people, and anti-fascists...want to stop that from happening.  Nazis are the inciters, not the other way around.

Moral equivalence, or lack of same (A) is in the eye of the beholder in many cases, and (B) does not mean that the morally superior group has more of a right to peaceably assemble and seed redress of their grievances than the morally inferior group (assuming there's a consensus on which group is which.  This is a concept that the ASLs (Atlas Slow Learners) don't seem to grasp, but it's really big as a house; indeed, it's as big as the Universe.

American Nazis, as indefensible as they are, have as much right to stand in public, assemble, demonstrate, and not be punched by people who disagree with them; indeed, they have a right to not be punched by people with good reason for hating them, but who are not in immediate danger of being harmed by the gruop.  They have a right for their demonstrations to not be interrupted any more than other groups' demonstrations if they've made the legal arrangements for a public permit.  This goes for all other groups that people would clearly find reprehensible.  And they have a right to do this where others will see them.  This is the First Amendment at its fullest application.

Moral Equivalence is not a precondition for exercising enumerated Constitutional Rights.

Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2018, 09:42:45 PM »

These rallies will continue because for all the "bash the fash" talk all Antifa really does at most is break a little glass. If a few Nazis had died at the hands of a genuinely violent Antifa last year this wouldn't be happening.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »

They're Nazis!

"Both sides do it!"

Congratulations, you just demonstrated that you can comprehend the concept of that whole "war" thing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if some government elements were involved in organizing these rallies (they are almost certainly infiltrated in the groups), with one of the aims being to discredit Trump.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies