I have switched from Republican to Independent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:38:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  I have switched from Republican to Independent
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I have switched from Republican to Independent  (Read 1764 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2018, 09:55:54 PM »

I have switched from Republican to Independent.

I am absolutely ashamed of the Republican Party.

I am absolutely ashamed of Republican President Donald Trump.

I am absolutely ashamed of members of the Trump administration. 

I am absolutely ashamed, for the most part, of Republican Senators and Representatives.

For the most part, Republican Senators and Representatives are cowards, yes men, and live in fear of Donald Trump.

Donald Trump and members of his administration are liars and members of the Trump administration are fearful of saying anything that may be taken as unfavorable by Trump., so they perpetuate the lies.

The last straw for me in leaving the Republican Party was the Trump lies and the administration lies about the cruel, inhumane, and barbaric separation of babies, toddlers, and young children being ripped away from their parents, and put in holding facilities, kept in cages.

Trump himself could reverse and end this practice simply by picking up the phone and speaking with McConnell and Ryan.

Trump lies every day about this policy, a policy he could easily change.

I do not believe Donald Trump has much of a conscience.

Therefore, I can no longer in good conscience continue on as a supporter of the Republican Party.

Hopefully, someday, when the Republican Party returns to some sense of responsibility, compassion, and common sense, I may go back. 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:59:20 PM »

We don’t need threads for every avatar change.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:01:02 PM »

We don’t need threads for every avatar change.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 07:25:44 AM »

Also, it's better to change from the inside, to persevere and hope for a better future. If the people who switched stayed, we'd have a better chance at reform.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 07:54:39 AM »

Also, it's better to change from the inside, to persevere and hope for a better future. If the people who switched stayed, we'd have a better chance at reform.

Yeah, I agree with this. If you truly want to change the Republican Party into the party that you loved then you have to work for it and not quit. There’s an example of this is the Dallas News today where gay rights activists within the party have worked for forty years to get language accepting gay people in the platform and they finally did this year.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:02:07 AM »

Yeah, I agree with this. If you truly want to change the Republican Party into the party that you loved then you have to work for it and not quit. There’s an example of this is the Dallas News today where gay rights activists within the party have worked for forty years to get language accepting gay people in the platform and they finally did this year.

While I can’t account for Winfield (who himself will likely continue to vote straight ticket GOP), I retain the right to vote in Republican primaries as I wish, living in Michigan and all. That said, I opted to switch my Atlas affiliation for a number of reasons, primarily being that it seemed to no longer for (and that’s because of me, not “the party”).
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »

Cool story bro. I'll remain for the capital gains tax cuts though.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »

90% this, and 10% my usual shtick of anyone who complains that a party isn't enough like them so they leave it is making a completely strange decision.  People should register/primary vote however they wish, and being an independent is fine.  But to say something like, "maybe someday I'll hopefully be able to be a Republican again!!" is completely crazy ... how exactly will that change come about if everyone who doesn't like the direction of the party leaves?  LOL
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 12:16:03 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2018, 12:20:15 PM by Lincoln Republican »

June 19 2018 I announce I am leaving the Republican Party and becoming an Independent.

June 20 2018 President Trump reverses himself and signs an executive order to keep families together.

Coincidence?

OctoCube
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.54, S: 1.42

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 12:43:26 PM »

He's been taking hits about the separation of families from the Media, members of his own party and even his wife. With this bombshell you might just push him to the breaking point.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »

Yes.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 01:00:28 PM »

Even if Trump read Atlas (a hilarious thought on its own), he surely wouldn't be taking advice from Winfield and would probably just absolutely light him up via Twitter.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/20/politics/steve-schmidt-leaves-gop/index.html

A Republican strategist who managed Sen. John McCain's unsuccessful 2008 presidential campaign said Wednesday he is leaving the Republican Party in the wake of the Trump's administration's immigration policies that have led to the separation of families.

"29 years and nine months ago I registered to vote and became a member of The Republican Party which was founded in 1854 to oppose slavery and stand for the dignity of human life. Today I renounce my membership in the Republican Party. It is fully the party of Trump," Steve Schmidt tweeted early Wednesday morning.

Tuesday June 19 I announce I am leaving the Republican Party to become an Independent.

Wednesday June 20, Steve Schmidt, 2008 campaign manager for Republican Presidential candidate John McCain, announces he is leaving the Republican Party, for the same reason I did.

Just sayin'.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 10:12:03 AM »

congrats
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »

Winfield is enough of a character for this to merit a thread, even if it's entirely performative and he switches back because he saw a Democrat chewing gum during the National Anthem or something like that.

Thank you for the compliment.

But just so everyone knows, I am a strong proponent of all people having the choice and the freedom whether or not they choose to stand and or sing or not during the playing and or singing of the national anthem without being criticized for it.  
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »

Literally no one cares.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 01:47:45 PM »

Winfield is literally the most influential living American. All those years on Atlas were just preparation for when he will take the nation by storm as the Last True Statesman to unite the people and save America in 2020.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 01:28:58 PM »

Winfield is literally the most influential living American. All those years on Atlas were just preparation for when he will take the nation by storm as the Last True Statesman to unite the people and save America in 2020.

Thank you so very much for your generous comments Truman.

I am humbled by your statement.

I shall do my best to live up to the high expectations that America and the world have for me.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 03:47:59 PM »

Well, to each his own. I don't see what the point of the "no one cares" comments are, isn't the whole point of this board to talk about personal views? I always like to see people speak up for themselves when they see something they don't like. Change doesn't happen when everyone sits around and does nothing.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 09:06:46 PM »

100% agree

Even if Trump read Atlas (a hilarious thought on its own), he surely wouldn't be taking advice from Winfield and would probably just absolutely light him up via Twitter.

A devout Romney nut-hugger on an obscure Internet forum is exactly who Trump would cater to.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 06:32:32 AM »

Well, to each his own. I don't see what the point of the "no one cares" comments are, isn't the whole point of this board to talk about personal views? I always like to see people speak up for themselves when they see something they don't like. Change doesn't happen when everyone sits around and does nothing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 06:37:09 AM »

assholes are going to be assholes.  It's their nature.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies