A Hypothetical Resignation Scenario
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:47:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A Hypothetical Resignation Scenario
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Hypothetical Resignation Scenario  (Read 676 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2018, 10:02:17 AM »
« edited: July 02, 2018, 10:02:06 AM by Free Bird »

I just thought of something. Say the current President resigned a few days after the election to replace them (say, November 7), but that their Vice-President, now President, was not the new President-elect. It could be that they were not the party nominee, or that they had just lost the election, whatever. Either way, for whatever reason, the President leaves early, and the VP, not previously the President-elect, is now in. That person is President for only 75 days, the second-shortest occupation of the office in history.

What would be the ramifications of this 2.5-month presidency? Would they be able to get anything done of relevance? Would they have anything to do in general? Would they get a library? Would they be anything more than just a little blip footnote in history? How would the world react? What effects would this have on the reputation of the President that resigned, etc.?

Discuss
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »

The President doesn't get to designate a successor if he resigns.  The VP would succeed and serve out the rest of the term.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:04:55 AM »

The President doesn't get to designate a successor if he resigns.  The VP would succeed and serve out the rest of the term.

Edited for clarification
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:34:10 AM »

Look at what happened in Florida in 1998 when Lawton Chiles died. I’d assume the same would happen in this case.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 10:26:47 AM »

Look at what happened in Florida in 1998 when Lawton Chiles died. I’d assume the same would happen in this case.

Probably
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:50:30 AM »

I always thought this would be a nice gesture.  Let's say Obama resigned in December 2017 just to allow Biden to be president for one month as a way to "cap" his long career in public service.  Kind of like how soccer coaches will pull star players in non-competitive games a couple minutes before the final whistle so that they can be recognized by the crowd as they leave the field.     
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »

I always thought this would be a nice gesture.  Let's say Obama resigned in December 2017 just to allow Biden to be president for one month as a way to "cap" his long career in public service.  Kind of like how soccer coaches will pull star players in non-competitive games a couple minutes before the final whistle so that they can be recognized by the crowd as they leave the field.     

It's risky though, if something were to happen to Biden, then Ryan would have been President.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2018, 10:01:26 AM by Free Bird »

Bumped. I'm still curious about a lot of the technical stuff of this situation (would he get a library, how would the world/nation react, etc).
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 10:30:33 AM »

Bumped. I'm still curious about a lot of the technical stuff of this situation (would he get a library, how would the world/nation react, etc).
I mean, anyone can have a library if they want a library.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies