Has this kind of "gatekeeping" gotten worse in the past few years or no?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 03:42:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Has this kind of "gatekeeping" gotten worse in the past few years or no?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has this kind of "gatekeeping" gotten worse in the past few years or no?  (Read 304 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2018, 09:40:06 AM »

I feel like it's gotten worse, especially on the internet. No one wants to be inclusive anymore, it's almost like people (both on the left and right) have decided that certain "kinds" of people need their own "spaces"... men vs. women, whites vs. minorities, older people vs. younger people.

- Alt-right guys complain about women "invading" their "spaces" then women who are leftists complaining about men "invading" their "spaces."

- Some minorities think white people doing anything is "cultural appropriation" then you've got some white people who want to "protect the 'white race'"

- Apparently if you're a younger person you CAN'T be a conservative, and if you're an older person you CAN'T be a liberal.

What got me thinking about this is that I'm going to Nashville Pride in a couple of weeks, and I have actually seen people online who are involved in Pride rallies saying "This isn't a place for straight males" or "If you aren't LGBT you shouldn't come" which is extremely annoying, how do you expect to grow a movement that way?

I really wonder if any of you think it's gotten worse in the past few years. Or maybe I'm just crazy.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 01:33:02 PM »

I feel like it's gotten worse, especially on the internet. No one wants to be inclusive anymore, it's almost like people (both on the left and right) have decided that certain "kinds" of people need their own "spaces"... men vs. women, whites vs. minorities, older people vs. younger people.

- Alt-right guys complain about women "invading" their "spaces" then women who are leftists complaining about men "invading" their "spaces."

- Some minorities think white people doing anything is "cultural appropriation" then you've got some white people who want to "protect the 'white race'"

- Apparently if you're a younger person you CAN'T be a conservative, and if you're an older person you CAN'T be a liberal.

What got me thinking about this is that I'm going to Nashville Pride in a couple of weeks, and I have actually seen people online who are involved in Pride rallies saying "This isn't a place for straight males" or "If you aren't LGBT you shouldn't come" which is extremely annoying, how do you expect to grow a movement that way?

I really wonder if any of you think it's gotten worse in the past few years. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

The internet/social media/tech has allowed people to seek affirmation not information. very easy to go tribalistic and only associate with ppl who match your views exactly. it's why both sides of the spectrum 'hate' the other side today with such passion
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies