Could a "Ford Nation" style coalition ever take off in the US?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:02:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Could a "Ford Nation" style coalition ever take off in the US?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Could a "Ford Nation" style coalition ever take off in the US?  (Read 5044 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:02:23 AM »

I.e. multiethnic and suburban conservatives in opposition to hipster/highly educated downtowns?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 06:08:41 AM »

I.e. multiethnic and suburban conservatives in opposition to hipster/highly educated downtowns?
If the right could get past its history in regards to race and gentrification strains the two halves of the Democratic coalition, I could see it happening.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »

This is the future after President Cordray. It is inevitable.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »

This is the future after President Cordray. It is inevitable.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 08:39:42 AM »

If the right could get past its history in regards to race and gentrification strains the two halves of the Democratic coalition, I could see it happening.

I can see it but I think you would need a fairly extended period of Dem dominance and GOP irrelevance. The GOP needs some wilderness time to to change approach and the Dems need time to piss off part of their coalition.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 08:43:05 AM »

isn't this, to some extent, basically the George W Bush coalition in 2004?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »

One other thing.

Ford Nation relies heavily on Asians. Toronto has a higher Asian share than every American metro except Honolulu, while having a pretty small Latino population. You might be able to copy the strategy in California (which honestly seems like far and away the best state to elect a Fordish, what with the traffic, housing prices and wokeness), but it would need to be adjusted to fit Hispanics elsewhere.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 10:41:52 AM »

One other thing.

Ford Nation relies heavily on Asians. Toronto has a higher Asian share than every American metro except Honolulu, while having a pretty small Latino population. You might be able to copy the strategy in California (which honestly seems like far and away the best state to elect a Fordish, what with the traffic, housing prices and wokeness), but it would need to be adjusted to fit Hispanics elsewhere.
Do you think that this strategy would be able to take off in New York?
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »

Michael Lund calls this scenario the “Densitaria Liberaltarian Dems” vs “Posturbia Populiberal GOP” realignment. This would be a racially liberal/progressive electoral future where I can see old-school African-Americans shifting towards the Republican party.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »

Political institutions in the U.S. (like the electoral college and U.S. Senate) tend to overweight the importance of rural voters and issues.  How could a political system dominated by urban issues succeed then?
uti2

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »

The GWB coalition was built on Working Class Evangelicals. In 2004, he padded his numbers with "War on Terror" voters from other Demographics in the environment of post-9/11 paranoia, but even without them, Bush still wins the EC due to his core.

A Neo-Ford Coalition would be more upscale and intellectual and look more like Ford/GHWB's.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »

One other thing.

City or State?

The GWB coalition was built on Working Class Evangelicals. In 2004, he padded his numbers with "War on Terror" voters from other Demographics in the environment of post-9/11 paranoia, but even without them, Bush still wins the EC due to his core.

A Neo-Ford Coalition would be more upscale and intellectual and look more like Ford/GHWB's.

We're talking about the Canadian brothers, not the former president.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 10:05:50 AM »

Thinking about it, this "Ford nation" coalition seems to be based more on local/state issues and probably wouldn't work so well as a national strategy.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 01:03:38 PM »

One other thing.

City or State?
both
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 01:09:43 PM »

Is this implying Bush didn't have a fairly upper class coalition in 2000?  Because that's obviously false.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »

One other thing.

City or State?
both

State definitely. I'm not as convinced about NYC though. Toronto proper is a lot more suburban than NYC. I'm not sure there are enough suburbanites in the city itself to lead a Ford style backlash.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 03:25:52 PM »

Trump won Democratic states, that he shouldn't have won, as long Sanders isn't the nominee, Dems will won back those states.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 03:52:19 PM »

"Ford Nation" could've been Kasich's coalition had Sanders been the Dem nominee; would've been a reverse Clinton-Trump swing.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »

"Ford Nation" could've been Kasich's coalition had Sanders been the Dem nominee; would've been a reverse Clinton-Trump swing.

Er, Rob Ford is not like John Kasich not was his coalition like Kasich's. Read his bio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Ford

Does that sound like John Kasich to you?
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 11:00:37 PM »

Er, Rob Ford is not like John Kasich not was his coalition like Kasich's. Read his bio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Ford

Does that sound like John Kasich to you?

i didnt mean that ford (rob or doug) is more similar to kasich than trump, but that the coalition of suburban and multiethnic conservatives is closer to what i think kasich would've won versus trump's rural white coalition.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 11:37:55 PM »

Maybe? It's tough to see a heavily minority coalition supporting Republicans en masse on the national level anytime soon, and maybe in the past a state party could've differentiated itself enough to make Fordism its 'brand' but we're moving away from that direction.

Anyway, after reading about Rob Ford's views on bike lanes, affordable housing, cars, etc., he just sounds like my local West LA city councilman but significantly more abrasive. At least in LA that kind of thing has a comfortable home in the Democratic Party and has more or less guided the city's development policy outside of the last couple years.
Galaxie

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »

Maybe? It's tough to see a heavily minority coalition supporting Republicans en masse on the national level anytime soon, and maybe in the past a state party could've differentiated itself enough to make Fordism its 'brand' but we're moving away from that direction.

Anyway, after reading about Rob Ford's views on bike lanes, affordable housing, cars, etc., he just sounds like my local West LA city councilman but significantly more abrasive. At least in LA that kind of thing has a comfortable home in the Democratic Party and has more or less guided the city's development policy outside of the last couple years.

Could Fordism be a viable route for the CA Republican party, then?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 05:59:55 PM »

One notable and I think quite important aspect of the Ford phenomenon in Toronto is the lack of a municipal party system.  Most of Fords' strongest areas in municipal elections were areas where the Conservative Party is quite weak.  And when Doug Ford went into provincial politics, Ford Nation votes didn't necessarily translate into Conservative votes since voting explicitly for the Conservatives was a leap too far for many.  Of the 10 provincial constituencies that Doug Ford carried municipally in 2014 in this election, 4 went to the NDP or Liberals and two more were won with less than 40% of the vote, due to vote-splitting between the NDP and Liberals. 

I think the Republican Party is just too toxic among nonwhites, and racial polarization is just too strong in a lot of the US for a Ford-like phenomenon to take off.  I can't imagine "white ethnics" and Blacks voting together for a conservative backlash candidate in a city like NYC, Chicago or Philadelphia.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »

I'd argue the 2013 NJ election was the successful implementation of a "Ford Nation" strategy led by Chris Christie.

Most paid attention to Christie's huge margin, which was partly a product of weak opposition. But they also won the popular vote for the State Senate. Flip about 3,000 votes statewide and they retake the Senate, potentially establishing a new model for Republicans in suburban states. They ran on a solid platform that won back a lot of the Bush-Reagan coalition while adjusting for modern demographics, picking up a lot of Asian-American and Hispanic votes.

How did Christie do with the state's large Indian American population?
pikachu
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 06:31:07 PM »

I'd argue the 2013 NJ election was the successful implementation of a "Ford Nation" strategy led by Chris Christie.

Most paid attention to Christie's huge margin, which was partly a product of weak opposition. But they also won the popular vote for the State Senate. Flip about 3,000 votes statewide and they retake the Senate, potentially establishing a new model for Republicans in suburban states. They ran on a solid platform that won back a lot of the Bush-Reagan coalition while adjusting for modern demographics, picking up a lot of Asian-American and Hispanic votes.

Yeah, Christie's coalition in 2009 and 2013 was interesting - I think he's the only Republican in recent memory to win Middlesex but not Bergen? That being said, we've seen Asians move significantly away from the GOP even since just 2009, and while he sort of had the Fordist coalition in 2013, he didn't have the Fordist substance.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies