Macron: "We Don't Mind Being 6"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:55:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Macron: "We Don't Mind Being 6"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Macron: "We Don't Mind Being 6"  (Read 5540 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »

Then you can start by paying for your own defense which means spending at least 2% of your GDP on defense.

Oh great, he's back.

I never changed my opinion on this

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »

Then you can start by paying for your own defense which means spending at least 2% of your GDP on defense.

Oh great, he's back.

I think his comment was aimed at King Ler, not you (OSR).
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2018, 03:09:49 PM »

Oh great, he's back.

I think his comment was aimed at King Ler, not you (OSR).

^^
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »

It was announced that trump leaving the G7 early on Saturday, will involve him missing some very important sessions of discussion on climate change, clean energy and oceans.

Why is he doing this! These are important topics to our nation and to the world.
God, I'm pissed at this moron.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »

France is actually NATO’s most substantial non-US military besides Poland
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2018, 03:55:57 PM »

"America First" = America alone.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 04:03:15 PM »

"America First" = America alone.

"America First" = gimmick to sell hats to dumbass Trump voters
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 04:06:08 PM »

Macron: " Trump and Kim meeting means 2 of the world's biggest trolls will be in the same room"

Macron : "That's it. I'm going to see if I can out troll them."
JG

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »

I still haven't forgotten how France encouraged Quebec separatism in 1967.

Really, you still haven’t gotten over that one? That’s still haunting your dreams is it? No you’re right, that’s totally a relevant consideration when it comes to our country’s foreign policy towards Europe.

Even Quebecois who are opposed to the separatist movment, like me, have gotten over that one. I don't know what that person is on about.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 05:11:07 PM »

Perhaps the rest of the world might be able to make some progress (although I still generally disdain the leadership of the G6) with America's reactionary presence removed from the scene. Like a disease, America must be contained and prevented from spreading its reach.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »

The Governor of California should replace Trump to form a G6+California.
There's more leadership in Sacramento than in Washington DC.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »

The Governor of California should replace Trump to form a G6+California.
There's more leadership in Sacramento than in Washington DC.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm pretty sure that would run into some constitutional issues.
Panda Express

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 09:54:34 PM »

Shouldn’t the left be glad that the rest of the world is learning to be independent of the American Security umbrella and capitalism?

(For the record, I’m not jubilant about this)

I still haven't forgotten how France refused to let America use its air space when we retaliated against Libya in 1985.

1967? Boy, these mental gymnastics you're forced to do really require you to reach back, huh?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2018, 10:01:05 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2018, 10:04:26 PM by Old School Republican »

I think Israel is a better ally to the US than France or Germany.

UK is the only ally left in Europe which should remain one of the US top 5 allies (others should be Canada, Israel, South Korea, Japan ad while they wont be in the top 5 India should be a bigger ally than France or Germany as well)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2018, 10:25:05 PM »

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 01:45:14 PM »

They should kick us out

1. It’s only a status club

2. It’s about time people realize that Trump isn’t making us better respected around the world (yes, some people think this)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »

The savviest Democrat should start playing all those clips where Trump proclaims something about countries laughing at us and to MAGA.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2018, 01:55:28 PM »

They should kick us out

2. It’s about time people realize that Trump isn’t making us better respected around the world (yes, some people think this)

Actually no we should kick France out and replace them with South Korea
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »

They should kick us out

Even the German papers -- articles and editorials -- say that Trump is within his right to maximize US trade, and that Merkel is deferring too much to Macron by retaining the EU's tariffs on the US goods.

If anyone is to blame for the current trade standoff, it's Macron. He's holding US-EU relations hostage to keep the EU's subsidies to French farmers intact. Trudeau is doing the same thing with the milk tariffs.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2018, 04:50:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2018, 05:03:35 PM »

Everything Trump is complaining about with respect to trade with China, Canada, and the EU, is everything the Obama administration complained about some ten years before. (Obama was personally offended by the Canadian milk tariffs, too). This is a long-standing, bipartisan issue that should be resolved, or at least ameliorated.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »

They should kick us out

Even the German papers -- articles and editorials -- say that Trump is within his right to maximize US trade, and that Merkel is deferring too much to Macron by retaining the EU's tariffs on the US goods.

If anyone is to blame for the current trade standoff, it's Macron. He's holding US-EU relations hostage to keep the EU's subsidies to French farmers intact. Trudeau is doing the same thing with the milk tariffs.

Almost every nation on the planet has tariffs.
But trump wants to explode (or currently is exploding) the intensity and total cost (value of goods) of such tariffs.
We (the USA) are not perfect with a 100%-non-tariff, complete-free-trade scenario.

Even before trump's current trade mess, the USA had protected goods subject to tariffs that other nations had to pay us. The USA has a 350% tariff on Canada for tobacco products and a 132% tariff on some peanuts. The story (as you want everyone to believe with "French farmers" and "Canadian milk") is not just a one-way street, in where other countries place tariffs on the USA, but we don't do the same to them. So basically ... when we go to the rest room, our sh*t smells too.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2018, 01:15:48 PM »

Can't recall any myself right now... but maybe we're reading different newspapers.

On the other hand, France is already fulfilling Trump's demand of spending at least 2% of its GDP on defense.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2018, 01:45:35 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2018, 01:58:24 PM by Storebought »

Can't recall any myself right now... but maybe we're reading different newspapers.

On the other hand, France is already fulfilling Trump's demand of spending at least 2% of its GDP on defense.

1. I read Spiegel first -- then better newspapers like the FAZ to get clear of the right-sided view and Sueddeutsche to get a sense of the "left".

2. That's the reason why Trump, ahem, respects Macron within the G7, even though Macron is his strongest opponent (and likewise the basis for Macron's bargaining position). Trump likes military parades, and France and Russia can put on spectacular ones.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »

Really, you still haven’t gotten over that one? That’s still haunting your dreams is it? No you’re right, that’s totally a relevant consideration when it comes to our country’s foreign policy towards Europe.

Even Quebecois who are opposed to the separatist movment, like me, have gotten over that one. I don't know what that person is on about.

Fuzzy is a thoughtful poster, but at the end of the day he--sadly--grasps for any historical justification, no matter how wafer thin, for a whataboutism offsetting his support for the most un-Christian president in American history.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies