Macron: "We Don't Mind Being 6"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:44:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Macron: "We Don't Mind Being 6"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Macron: "We Don't Mind Being 6"  (Read 5539 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »

We've become pariahs and are losing even our allies along with our influence. I hope this is what you wanted, Trump supporters.

"Despite the tensions with Trump, Macron put forward a strong front on Thursday, suggesting France and the other G-7 nations do not feel threatened by a nonaligned U.S.

“These six represent values, represent an economic market, and more than anything, represent a real force at the international level today,” Macron said."

Link: http://www.newsweek.com/we-dont-mind-being-6-macron-g7-us-965547
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 08:18:18 AM »

Shouldn’t the left be glad that the rest of the world is learning to be independent of the American Security umbrella and capitalism?

(For the record, I’m not jubilant about this)
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:24:12 AM »

Shouldn’t the left be glad that the rest of the world is learning to be independent of the American Security umbrella and capitalism?

Trump ran on a platform where he raised the issue of the cost of defending Europe.  Think about it; we defend them, they have single-payer healthcare, we don't, and their standard of living is higher.

I still haven't forgotten how France refused to let America use its air space when we retaliated against Libya in 1985.

I still haven't forgotten how France encouraged Quebec separatism in 1967.

I''m not a fan of deliberately alienating the G7, but our European allies do need to consider the weight we have pulled (and the weight they have NOT pulled) in this alliance.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 08:37:14 AM »

Why would we want to be friends with outright evil people like May, Merkel and Trudeau anyway. Give me a call when Corbyn is back in charge (recount).
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »

Trump ran on a platform where he raised the issue of the cost of defending Europe.  Think about it; we defend them, they have single-payer healthcare, we don't, and their standard of living is higher.

I still haven't forgotten how France refused to let America use its air space when we retaliated against Libya in 1985.

I''m not a fan of deliberately alienating the G7, but our European allies do need to consider the weight we have pulled (and the weight they have NOT pulled) in this alliance.

I generally think the idea that we can’t have single payer because of defense spending is a canard by people who want to end the discussion about universal health care. Had America had the political will to do it 60 years ago like everybody else, then we would have it.

And if single payer is something you lament, then boy did you hitch your horse to the wrong wagon.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »

One can think a house needs to be torn down and rebuilt, yet still feel that burning it down with people inside is a horrible thing.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »

We've become pariahs and are losing even our allies along with our influence. I hope this is what you wanted, Trump supporters."

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 10:04:41 AM »

Really, you still haven’t gotten over that one? That’s still haunting your dreams is it? No you’re right, that’s totally a relevant consideration when it comes to our country’s foreign policy towards Europe.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »

I don't blame them. The United States is slowly becoming more and more of an antithesis of their values and goals for the world. Personally, I do not want to become more disconnected from them- The United States needs someone to direct us back onto the proper path.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 10:26:39 AM »

Good for them. No need for them to be stooges to trump's administration.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 10:39:10 AM »

One can think a house needs to be torn down and rebuilt, yet still feel that burning it down with people inside is a horrible thing.

That is a fantastic metaphor.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »

You'd think Italy's new government would be just as much pariahs to the rest of them as we are.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »

You'd think Italy's new government would be just as much pariahs to the rest of them as we are.

We're in deep. Too deep.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »

i dont want single payer healthcare here lmao
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »

Ah...yes I'm sure the average Trump voter is very well informed on G7, Quebec separatism, and the history of Universal health care.

That's exactly why they voted for him
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »

I personally think Canada and the EU are being over-dramatic. A great deal of what Trump is complaining about have been standing issues between the US and Canada and EU for decades now:

EU and Canadian tariffs on US goods are obnoxious and have to be reduced, or better, eliminated. Trade between developed nations should not be subject to any tariffs at all.

It would help (greatly) if NATO-ex US countries spent more on defense than they do. If 2.0% of GDP is considered an "adequate" amount for defense, then only France spends an adequate amount on defense. The other G6 members, and every NATO member besides Greece, Turkey, and Poland, are deadbeats.

These are not deep existential issues, they can be resolved through negotiation. Whether Canada and the EU in particular want to negotiate with the US, even in the absence of Trump, is debatable.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »

We're in deep. Too deep.

Look like it's time to send in Sum 41.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 11:25:22 AM »

We're in deep. Too deep.

Look like it's time to send in Sum 41.

So am I still waiting...for this world to stop hating
Can't find a good reason....can't find hope to believe in
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »

Trump is proving that his policy of so-called America First is actually America alone.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 11:46:37 AM »

The new Italian Prime Minister also backs President Trump on a perspective Russian re-admittance: https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1J41TP
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »

I personally think Canada and the EU are being over-dramatic. A great deal of what Trump is complaining about have been standing issues between the US and Canada and EU for decades now:

EU and Canadian tariffs on US goods are obnoxious and have to be reduced, or better, eliminated. Trade between developed nations should not be subject to any tariffs at all.

It would help (greatly) if NATO-ex US countries spent more on defense than they do. If 2.0% of GDP is considered an "adequate" amount for defense, then only France spends an adequate amount on defense. The other G6 members, and every NATO member besides Greece, Turkey, and Poland, are deadbeats.

These are not deep existential issues, they can be resolved through negotiation. Whether Canada and the EU in particular want to negotiate with the US, even in the absence of Trump, is debatable.

I don’t disagree on either point on its face - however, Trump seems uniquely unable to tackle these issues with the tact and decorum required for international negotiations. He would grasp that if he listened to his FP team instead of assuming he can just go on gut instinct and behave on the foreign stage the way he did cutting NYC real estate deals in 1985
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 12:15:22 PM »

Make America Weaker than Ever since the 1920's and 1930's.

How Trump Helps Putin

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/opinion/trump-putin-g7.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fopinion
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 12:19:08 PM »

Then you can start by paying for your own defense which means spending at least 2% of your GDP on defense.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »

Then you can start by paying for your own defense which means spending at least 2% of your GDP on defense.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »

Oh great, he's back.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies