State Dept calls D-Day example of strong US-German relations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:26:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State Dept calls D-Day example of strong US-German relations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Dept calls D-Day example of strong US-German relations  (Read 1669 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:27:51 PM »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-d-day-america-germany-strong-relationship-state-department-spokeswoman-heather-nauert-a8387221.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Words fail me.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:29:18 PM »

She does realize we were liberating France and invading Germany, right?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:31:06 PM »

to be fair she was describing the us having a long history with germany not just a strong relationship
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:32:07 PM »

Republicans have bone for brain
Panda Express

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 01:13:52 AM »

When the Trump administration sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with them. They're bringing stupidity. They're bringing wife-beaters. They're racists. And some, I assume, are good people.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 01:16:19 AM »

When the Republican Party sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with them. They're bringing stupidity. They're bringing wife-beaters. They're racists. And some, I assume, are good people.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 01:25:07 AM »

When the Trump administration sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with them. They're bringing stupidity. They're bringing wife-beaters. They're racists. And some, I assume, are good people.

Ok this was clever
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 02:10:22 AM »

When the Republican Party sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with them. They're bringing stupidity. They're bringing wife-beaters. They're racists. And some, I assume, are good people.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »

This is intellectual dishonesty.  The spokesperson was announcing the 71st anniversary of the Marshall Plan, which DID rebuild Europe, including the country we invaded (at least West Germany).  That DID establish the ties with Germany we now have. 

Oh, and imagine Rachel Maddow being intellectually dishonest!  Impossible???

That our diplomatic spokepersons would use the occasion to re-frame a day (June 6) into a light that provides some balm to a defeated foe that has become an ally is part of diplomacy.  It was appropriate to roll out the Marshall Plan on June 6, 1947.  It was appropriate to bring this out in that context on Wednesday.

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »

Yeah I gotta agree with Fuzzy here. She was very inarticulate, of course, but it’s clear the end of WWII is what she was aiming for.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 08:57:44 AM »

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »

it is, bcuz Germans didnt want 2 be Nazis
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »

This is intellectual dishonesty.  The spokesperson was announcing the 71st anniversary of the Marshall Plan, which DID rebuild Europe, including the country we invaded (at least West Germany).  That DID establish the ties with Germany we now have. 

That our diplomatic spokepersons would use the occasion to re-frame a day (June 6) into a light that provides some balm to a defeated foe that has become an ally is part of diplomacy.  It was appropriate to roll out the Marshall Plan on June 6, 1947.  It was appropriate to bring this out in that context on Wednesday.

The reference to D-Day - that you ignored - was the part that was inappropriate. You're the one being intellectually dishonest here. 

"If you just ignore the egregiously stupid bit, pretend they know what they're talking about, and then reframe it after the fact with a generously positive spin, it's all perfectly normal!"

The Trump cult has been rolling out this particular rhetorical trick for almost three years now. It's old and tired. Trump is an incurious ignoramous, and the stupid flows from the top on down.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 03:43:22 PM »

The reference to D-Day - that you ignored - was the part that was inappropriate. You're the one being intellectually dishonest here. 

"If you just ignore the egregiously stupid bit, pretend they know what they're talking about, and then reframe it after the fact with a generously positive spin, it's all perfectly normal!"

The Trump cult has been rolling out this particular rhetorical trick for almost three years now. It's old and tired. Trump is an incurious ignoramous, and the stupid flows from the top on down.

Seriously Fuzzy. You should be embarrassed by that "analysis".
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 03:46:59 PM »

Yeah I gotta agree with Fuzzy here. She was very inarticulate, of course, but it’s clear the end of WWII is what she was aiming for.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »

makes me miss spicer
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 11:09:50 AM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 04:48:57 PM »

Yeah at least he was funny.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 05:06:52 PM »

LMAO
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »

I guess on August 6th she will announce that bombing Hiroshima is a great example of the strong US-Japanese relations.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »

This. They need to stop insulting people's intelligence and just embrace the sh-t for brains that is Trump and his administration.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »

My birthday is the day my Father died (when I was 10).

January 20, the day new Presidents take office, is the day my grandmother died and the day a girl unceremoniously dumped me.

The day I began my 34 years of uninterrupted sobriety is the day I agreed to marry my first wife, which was a horrible decision on my part.

Let's see:  June 6 is D-Day.  It's also the day the Marshall Plan was birthed.

D-Day was a day Germans began to lose WWII for good, but it was also the day we moved to rebuild Europe.  The rollout of the Marshall Plan on June 6 was a deliberate piece of timing; an affirmative decision to Win the Peace as we had Won the War.  It represented our posture of treating the postwar German nation as friends, and not as a purely conquered legion (a decision at Versailles that contributed to WWII). 

I don't care for Hillary Clinton, and I realize that she's not President, but I don't go trolling to exaggerate the meanings of her statements, or the statements of her spokespersons just to pile on.  Hillary provides enough material.  Trump certainly provides enough material; his ignorance of history at times makes me want to pull my hair out.  But this was a diplomat attempting to present June 6 as a win-win situation in our history with Germany, and I really doubt that liberal opinion in Germany wouldn't reframe the meaning of D-Day; it meant the end of Hitler, after all.  If this is how Trump's enemies react to his entire body of actions in office, their criticisms will become nothing but noise to the key voters in the middle who are truly undecided and WILL be swinging the 2020 election one way or another.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies