Ontario general election 2018 - Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 08:56:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario general election 2018 - Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25
Author Topic: Ontario general election 2018 - Results Thread  (Read 56809 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: June 29, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »

St. Paul's:

Oakwood

NDP 1,821 41.1%
Liberal 1,200 27.1%
PC 1,184 26.7%

Hillcrest-Humewood

NDP 3,429 49%
Liberal 2,060 29.5%
PC 1,150 16.4%

Casa Loma-South Hill

Liberal 1,368 35.7%
NDP 1,276 33.3%
PC 999 26%

Forest Hill-Cedarvale

PC 3,690 36.6%
Liberal 3,438 34.1%
NDP 2,582 25.6%

Yonge-St. Clair

Liberal 2,718 39.2%
NDP 2,039 29.4%
PC 1,847 26.6%

Yonge-Eglinton

NDP 3,856 37.9%
Liberal 3,512 34.5%
PC 2,306 22.7%
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #476 on: July 03, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »

If anyone is willing to draw in the boundaries of the municipalities and counties, I could like I did in the past do a map for these.  I would probably take several weeks, unless someone could load all the numbers into a spreadsheet and also give the poll numbers for each municipality and then I could do it much faster.  https://globalnews.ca/news/4257183/ontario-election-results-2018/  Nonetheless later, I thought I would post some of the more interesting maps.  A lot were boring and near sweeps but noticed some interesting polls for really small ones, I am guessing single apartments or something as I saw some tiny polls with weird results like Liberals winning one of the tiny ones in Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill which went massively PC by almost 30 points.  Anyone know what those tiny polls are.  Looking through here are some interesting ridings:

Etobicoke-Lakeshore: Looks like NDP dominated the waterfront so guessing new condos helping while PCs elsewhere.

Humber River-Black Creek: PC support and NDP somewhat random so perhaps someone from that area has insight?

York South-Weston: NDP dominates southern part, PCs northern part although Liberals win in Northeastern corner.

University-Rosedale: NDP wins pretty much everything outside Rosedale as expected, Liberals win most of Rosedale expect the mansion areas right along Don River valley which go PC.

Toronto-St. Paul's: NDP dominates western side, PCs in the middle in Forest Hill, while Liberals eastern side.

Eglinton-Lawrence: Interesting Liberal/PC lines running north to south, anyone have any insight on the demographics in these?

Don Valley West: PCs dominate northern half which is more affluent while Liberals southern.

Don Valley East: Same as Don Valley West, although NDP win a few polls.

Scarborough Centre: North/south split between PCs and NDP

Scarborough-Guildwood: Also a north/south split with Liberals dominating the southern portion near the lakefront, PCs the northern parts.

Scarborough-Rouge Park: Another north/south split

Oshawa: Surprisingly an East/West split with PCs strong on the east end (I am guessing mostly newer subdivisions with many GTA commuters) and NDP on west side (Probably more blue collar union areas).

York-Simcoe: Georgina Island which is an Indian Reserve was the only NDP poll and ironically the reason reporting that riding was so delayed, PCs take everything else.

Brampton ridings: Interesting mix but wondering if NDP dominated heavily Sikh areas due to the Singh effect and PCs elsewhere?

Mississauga-Malton: Malton goes NDP, everything else goes PC, otherwise airport seemed to be the dividing line.

Mississauga-Lakeshore and Oakville: Unlike past elections, Liberals do quite well in lakeshore polls, but PCs dominate areas further north, otherwise the wealthy areas probably were turned off by Ford, but the more middle class areas he did better in, sort of opposite of what you normally have.

Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas: Niagara Enscarpment seems to be the dividing line with PCs winning most of Ancaster, but NDP Dundas and Hamilton.

Hamilton East-Stoney Creek: PCs take the two most easterly polls which also seem much larger in area so probably more suburban/rural than rest of riding.

Flamborough-Glanbrook: PCs sweep Ancaster and Flamborough, but NDP wins a few in Glanbrook, otherwise ones adjacent to Hamilton Mountain.

St. Catherines: Strong north/south split, NDP dominates southern half (more downtown and near university), PCs northern half (less densely populated and more middle class families).

Niagara Centre: Near perfect urban/rural divide.  NDP nearly sweeps all the built up areas, PCs take all the countryside portions.

Niagara Falls: NDP dominates Niagara Falls and Fort Erie, but the gap between the two cities goes mostly PC.  Niagara on the Lake unlike those two goes mostly PC, although Queenston and the poll from the village go NDP while the rest which is rural goes PC.

Barrie ridings: NDP wins a few polls in Barrie-Oro Medonte-Springwater in Barrie, but PCs sweep everything outside.  It does seem though Barrie went PC, but much more competitive than riding results suggest, while the parts outside Barrie went massively PC.

Brantford-Brant: NDP wins nearly all Brantford polls and Six nations reserve too, but NDP margins in Brantford are much narrower than PC margins in the rest of the riding so PCs win it even though they lose most polls by a strong second in Brantford and running up the margins in the rural and small town parts.

Kitchener Centre and Waterloo: Conestoga Parkway is dividing line, PCs east of that, NDP west of that.

Kitchener-Conestoga: NDP sweeps Kitchener as expected, but does surprisingly well elsewhere (which is normally solid PC), although PCs still finish ahead (perhaps nomination debacle depressed Tory turnout is my guess).

Kitchener South-Hespeler: Kitchener part goes massively NDP, Hespeler massively PC so big divide and not close in either, only close due to both largely cancelling each other out.

Cambridge: NDP dominates town centre, PCs elsewhere, so no real surprise.

Perth-Wellington: NDP sweeps Stratford (a very artsy town so no surprise), but PCs everywhere else.

Huron-Bruce: Liberals and NDP each win a poll in Kincardine near the Bruce Power plant which makes sense as more educated population there.

London: The north part of London North Centre is the only part of London that PCs plus the most westerly poll in London West, NDP sweeps everything else.

Chatham-Kent-Leamington: Town of Chatham-Kent is quite close, but PCs dominate everywhere else assuring a win.

Sarnia-Lambton: Sarnia is fairly competitive, appears only a narrow PC win, but massive PC win elsewhere in the riding.

Essex: It looks like PCs win Kingsville, NDP takes other municipalities.

Kiiwetinoog: PCs dominate southern portion (I am assuming this part is mostly white) while northern portion NDP win big, with PCs getting zero votes in many polls (I am assuming this is the aboriginal part).

Thunder Bay ridings: Seems Liberals did better outside the city, but also dominated the western half away from the lake, NDP eastern half near (Is the part near it more working class?).  PCs in Thunder Bay-Atikokan win most polls in Oliver-Paipoonge (seems to be a pattern so any reason why this is a conservative island?).

Sault Ste. Marie: As expected NDP dominates central part, PCs win suburban and rural portions.

Nipissing: NDP actually is quite competitive in North Bay despite Vic Fideli being a popular former mayor.  It is the rest of the riding including normally weak spots like Mattawa that go heavily PC.

Parry Sound-Muskoka: NDP wins all the Indian reserves, PCs elsewhere.

Kanata-Carleton: NDP wins a few polls in Kanata suggesting Kanata is not the conservative stronghold it once was, but PCs win big in the Carleton portion.

Ottawa West-Nepean: Ottawa is Liberal/NDP, while PCs more in Nepean, especially the Greenbelt portion.

Ottawa-Vanier: NDP wins areas directly across the Rideau Canal so close to Ottawa Centre, PCs win a few polls in what looks like Rockcliffe Park, but could be wrong.

Orleans: Only a few PC polls, although dominate the one rural poll.

Glengarry-Prescott-Russell: Liberals do well along Ottawa River, especially Hawkesbury and also win Russell.  It looks like the Liberals won the Francophone vote, but PCs won by a massive margin amongst Anglophones thus why they carried the riding.

Kingston & Islands: Liberals take a few of the Islands (Guessing they must have a lot of well do to retirees), PCs on the very eastern edge which is semi rural.

Lanark-Frontenac-Kingston: Despite solid PC win, NDP does well, possibly wins in South Frontenac portion (probably benefits from close proximity to Kingston?).

Hastings-Frontenac-Lennox & Addington: NDP wins a few polls in Amherstview (lots of Kingston commuters I believe), Greater Nepanee is tight, but everything else solid PC.

Bay of Quinte: Looks like central parts of Belleville, downtown Picton go NDP, PC everywhere else.

Peterborough-Kawartha: NDP surprisingly wins a few albeit not majority of polls outside Peterborough.  Peterborough has a north/south split with NDP winning big on north side (I am guessing downtown and university must be here?) while PCs win the south side by a narrower margin.

Northumberland-Peterborough South: Liberals shockingly win a few polls in Port Hope and Cobourg (I thought NDP as opposed to Liberals would here) while NDP only wins two in Campbellton, PCs dominate off course.

Now some surprises:

1.  Looks like PCs swept Durham despite NDP strong second showing of 31%.
2.  Blue Mountains, Wasaga Beach, and Collingwood all went PC in every poll despite demographics not being favourable to Ford, although guessing Jim Wilson's personal popularity may be part of it.
3.  Owen Sound which Greens have done well in the past goes PC.
4.  Ingersoll goes PC which went NDP in 2014 as PCs win every poll in Oxford unlike in 2014.
5.  Pelee Island goes PC although with a lot of seasonal residents seems to go all over the place
6.  PCs win Deep River in Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke which always is the one part that goes Liberal in federal elections so guessing John Yabusuki's popularity as well as the fact he is less extreme than Cheryl Gallant is perhaps the reason.  With Chalk River reactor fairly educated so Gallant is probably a turnoff there.
7.  Rainy River district goes mostly PC despite the fact this is not part of Greg Rickford's former riding federally.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #477 on: July 04, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »

Re: Toronto ridings.

In York South-Weston and Humber, the NDP was stronger in the low income apartment clusters, while the residual Italian sections were very weak for the NDP and the PCs were competitive in them. 

In Eglinton-Lawrence, North Toronto was very Ford-averse and stayed strongly Liberal, while Colle's vote in the Italian areas to the west swung heavily to the PCs.

In St. Paul's, the NDP also won the densely populated Yonge-Eglinton area in the east.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #478 on: July 04, 2018, 01:52:18 PM »

Here's University-Rosedale.  Given the "crickets" response, this is probably the last riding I'll post here.

Christie Pits-Bickford Park:

NDP 2,957 62.9%
PC 703 15%
Liberal 646 13.7%

Little Italy:

NDP 3,085 59.1%
PC 861 16.5%
Liberal 775 14.8%

Annex-Seaton Village:

NDP 4,871 61.3%
Liberal 1,414 17.8%
PC 1,039 13.1%

Harbord-Kensington:

NDP 2,521 61.3%
Liberal 622 15.1%
PC 527 12.8%

Discovery District-Baldwin Village:

NDP 1,758 55.7%
PC 662 20.6%
Liberal 596 18.5%

Yorkville:

NDP 2,838 33%
Liberal 2,651 30.9%
PC 2,430 28.3%

Rosedale:

PC 2,370 35.3%
Liberal 2,326 34.7%
NDP 1,531 22.8%

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #479 on: July 04, 2018, 02:00:23 PM »

No, no... it's all very interesting. If you had boundaries for all the designated areas there's some interesting mapping potential?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #480 on: July 04, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »

I would be interested in a county map as well as one by municipality.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #481 on: July 04, 2018, 03:25:37 PM »

No, no... it's all very interesting. If you had boundaries for all the designated areas there's some interesting mapping potential?

Someone might be able to get a Toronto Neighbourhoods map done up, not sure if we can get results to fit into the Neighbourhoods map
https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/data-research-maps/neighbourhoods-communities/neighbourhood-profiles/
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #482 on: July 04, 2018, 03:32:57 PM »

I don't mind the size of the megapolls, but I wish some of them were a bit more respectful of major streets and neighborhood boundaries.  So I had to be a bit "creative."
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #483 on: July 04, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »

I don't mind the size of the megapolls, but I wish some of them were a bit more respectful of major streets and neighborhood boundaries.  So I had to be a bit "creative."

Sure, but if you have a list of which polls you included in each... er... division?... then it would be pretty easy to sort out maps.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #484 on: July 04, 2018, 04:32:48 PM »

Here are some regional results

Ottawa

PC 33.9%
NDP 29.9%
Liberals 30.2%

Eastern Ontario outside Ottawa

PC 50.7%
NDP 27%
Liberals 16.7%

613 area Code

PC 42.6%
NDP 28.5%
Liberal 23.1%

Simcoe County

PC 51.1%
NDP 25.9%
Liberals 14.5%

Central Ontario

PC 50.1%
NDP 26%
Liberals 15.8%

Durham Region

PC 43.5%
NDP 35.2%
Liberal 16.6%

York Region

PC 54.1%
Liberals 22%
NDP 19.4%

Peel Region

PC 39.9%
NDP 30.8%
Liberal 23.8%

Halton Region

PC 43%
Liberal 28.5%
NDP 23.1%

Brampton

NDP 38.6%
PC 37.4%
Liberal 18.4%

Mississauga

PC 41.6%
Liberal 27.4%
NDP 25.4%

905 Belt, GTA suburbs only

PC 45.7%
NDP 26.7%
Liberal 22.5%

Toronto

NDP 36.5%
PC 32.7%
Liberal 26.1%

416 Suburbs

PC 40.5%
Liberal 28%
NDP 27.3%

Central Toronto

NDP 52.6%
Liberal 22.8%
PC 19.1%

Etobicoke

PC 43.4%
Liberal 26.7%
NDP 25.4%

Scarborough

PC 39.9%
NDP 31.5%
Liberal 24.1%

GTA

PC 40.1%
NDP 31%
Liberal 24.1%

Hamilton-Niagara

NDP 44.9%
PC 34.7%
Liberal 14%

Hamilton

NDP 48.4%
PC 30.5%
Liberal 13.9%

Niagara Region

NDP 41%
PC 39.4%
Liberal 14%

Kitchener-Waterloo

NDP 40.7%
PC 34.6%
Liberal 16.9%

Midwestern Ontario - Guelph-London corridor

PC 42.2%
NDP 33.3%
Liberal 12.9%
Green 9.8%

London

NDP 52.8%
PC 29.9%
Liberal 11.4%

Essex County

NDP 52.7%
PC 33.5%
Liberal 9.1%

Southwestern Ontario - London-Windsor Corridor

NDP 45.4%
PC 40.6%
Liberal 8.8%

519 Area code

PC 41.5%
NDP 38.7%
Liberal 11.1%

Southern Ontario

PC 41%
NDP 32.9%
Liberal 19.8%

Southern Ontario minus Toronto

PC 43.2%
NDP 32%
Liberal 18.2%

Rural Southwestern Ontario

PC 51.7%
NDP 33.4%
Liberal 8.7%

Northeastern Ontario

NDP 46.3%
PC 33.9%
Liberal 10.9%

Northwestern Ontario

NDP 37.8%
Liberal 30.1%
PC 27.3%

Northern Ontario

NDP 44.2%
PC 32.3%
Liberal 15.6%
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #485 on: July 04, 2018, 05:13:21 PM »

Sure, but if you have a list of which polls you included in each... er... division?... then it would be pretty easy to sort out maps.

Sure.  Here is University-Rosedale

Christie Pits-Bickford Park:  1, 2, 7

Little Italy:  3, 4, 8, 9, 400, 701, 702

Annex-Seaton Village:  5, 6, 10, 12, 14, 401, 700, 703, 704, 708

Harbord-Kensington:  13, 15, 16, 17, 402, 706, 707

Discovery District-Baldwin Village:  18, 23 and 400/700 polls contained within

Yorkville:  19, 20, 21, 25, 26 and 400/700 polls contained within

Rosedale:  22, 24, 27, 28, 29, 406, 407, 408, 431

mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #486 on: July 04, 2018, 05:18:47 PM »

Comparing municipal results to provincial it looks like the only ridings to vote Doug Ford municipally but not vote for him provincially were Humber River-Black Creek and York South-Weston although to be fair the PCs got over 30% in both which is practically unheard of as those two are usually PC dead zones.  Ford did however win a few that went for John Tory which include Etobicoke-Lakeshore, Eglinton-Lawrence, Willowdale, and Don Valley North.  Eglinton-Lawrence was I believe the one he did the worst in municipally of the ones he won provincially mind you based on the overall provincewide swing, I suspect it wouldn't have been close had Elliott or Mulroney been leader.  At the same time I suspect Etobicoke North, Scarborough Centre, and Scarborough-Rouge Park would have not gone PC under a Mulroney or Elliott leadership.  I do think though both would have beat Wynne in Don Valley West however.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #487 on: July 04, 2018, 06:10:25 PM »

One element of the "Ford effect":  St. Paul's voted PC at a lower rate than all the outer TO seats, including "worst performers" (and NDP pickups) Scarborough Southwest, York South-Weston and Humber River-Black Creek.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #488 on: July 05, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »

6.  PCs win Deep River in Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke which always is the one part that goes Liberal in federal elections so guessing John Yabusuki's popularity as well as the fact he is less extreme than Cheryl Gallant is perhaps the reason.  With Chalk River reactor fairly educated so Gallant is probably a turnoff there.

Deep River only went PC due to a Liberal/NDP vote split. Since Deep River always goes Liberal, the Liberals have a residual vote there, which caused the split.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #489 on: July 05, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »

Deep River only went PC due to a Liberal/NDP vote split. Since Deep River always goes Liberal, the Liberals have a residual vote there, which caused the split.

True enough, although PCs got 69% in Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke which is much higher than they've ever gotten federally here so I suspect in Deep River they outperformed whatever they have federally as well.  That being said this is not the only rural riding, it seems in most rural ridings they did slightly worse than Harper in 2011, but those with long standing popular incumbents, they beat what Harper got in 2011 such as Simcoe-Grey and Haldimand-Norfolk for example.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #490 on: July 05, 2018, 03:36:56 PM »

2.  Blue Mountains, Wasaga Beach, and Collingwood all went PC in every poll despite demographics not being favourable to Ford, although guessing Jim Wilson's personal popularity may be part of it.

Wasaga Beach is less upscale and is actually fairly Italian (the Jersey Shore of Canada?).  As for the Blue Mountains, the Liberals were just to weak - but maybe an "Oakville without a Liberal incumbent" type voting pattern was evident there?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Very white and practically in Manitoba?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #491 on: July 05, 2018, 07:35:08 PM »

[

True but voted NDP in the 2011 federal election.  Has a large forestry industry whereas Rural Manitoba is more like rural Southern Ontario in terms of large agriculture industry and small towns.  Also I think most of the Northern Ontario ridings except the two new ones are fairly white mind you those further east do have a large Francophone population which Rainy River District lacks.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #492 on: July 05, 2018, 09:31:28 PM »

Ridings where the NDP came within 1,000 votes of defeating the PC (and margin of victory)

Ottawa West-Nepean  176
Sault Ste. Marie  414
Brampton West  490
Brantford-Brant  621
Kitchener-Conestoga  686
Kitchener South-Hespeler  769
Scarborough-Rouge Park  963

Ridings where NDP and Liberal combined vote exceeded PC winner by more than 5,000 votes (and runner-up)

Ottawa West-Nepean  14,633  (NDP)
Peterborough-Kawartha  12,845 (NDP)
Etobicoke-Lakeshore  10,845 (NDP)
Cambridge  9,037 (NDP)
Ajax  8,659 (NDP)
Eglinton-Lawrence  8,401 (Liberal)
Burlington  8,075 (NDP)
Scarborough-Rouge Park  7,822 (NDP)
Scarborough Centre  6,694 (NDP)
Brampton West  6,523 (NDP)
Glengarry-Prescott-Russell  6,089 (Liberal)
Mississauga-Lakeshore  5,881 (Liberal)
Etobicoke Centre  5,587 (Liberal)
Kitchener South-Hespeler  5,566 (NDP)
Mississauga-Malton  5,450 (NDP)
Pickering-Uxbridge  5,433 (NDP)
Mississauga-Erin Mills  5,356 (NDP)
Kitchener-Conestoga  5,349 (NDP)
Mississauga Centre  5,288 (NDP)
Mississauga East-Cooksville  5,129 (Liberal)

lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #493 on: July 06, 2018, 06:54:26 AM »

[

True but voted NDP in the 2011 federal election.  Has a large forestry industry whereas Rural Manitoba is more like rural Southern Ontario in terms of large agriculture industry and small towns.  Also I think most of the Northern Ontario ridings except the two new ones are fairly white mind you those further east do have a large Francophone population which Rainy River District lacks.

I'd say It's probably a mixture of no Incumbent NDP, Rickford's name recognition and experience as an MP, Liberal vote collapse going PC, and Ford's populism in general helping the PC vote in the North.

Looking, and the NDP lost because they lost the cities/towns of Kenora, Dryden but won Fort Frances in Rainy River. They also lost the rural areas in Rainy River and in the North East of the electorate surrounding Dryden. Even in 2014, the PCs has won a large chunk of the west side of the electorate around the Lakes/Manitoba Border.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #494 on: July 06, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »

Would Rickford been re-elected as an MP if he had the same riding boundaries that he just won with provincially?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #495 on: July 06, 2018, 01:13:02 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2018, 01:19:25 PM by lilTommy »

Would Rickford been re-elected as an MP if he had the same riding boundaries that he just won with provincially?

Sadly It looks like ihe would have, but with a lower % of the vote. Kiiwantinoong has a significantly smaller population (32000) compared to Kenora-Rainy River (78000). Just adding the two districts:

PC - 11,458 - 43.4%
NDP - 10,735 - 40.6%
OLP - 3103 - 11.7%
GRN - 1127 - 4.2%

Things might have been different if:
- NDP Incumbent had not stepped down
- NDP nominated earlier or had a more high-profile candidate

... sorry i read that wrong, you said MP.. I used the old provincial riding boundary. Answered a question not asked.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #496 on: July 06, 2018, 01:49:08 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2018, 02:34:10 PM by mileslunn »

I was wondering going by counties in Ontario, whom won each.  Asides from maybe Thunder Bay District I don't think the Liberals won any.  I am guessing off course PCs won most, but for NDP, I am thinking it would be the following (Also believe PCs won Wellington County as opposed to Greens, but only around 1/3 of the popular vote there):

Toronto
Hamilton
Niagara Regional Municipality
Waterloo Regional Municipality
Middlesex County
Essex County (over 50% NDP)
Cochrane District (over 50 NDP)
Algoma District (likely over 50% here too)
Manitoulin District (likely over 50% here)
Greater Sudbury (Maybe over 50%, not sure)
Thunder Bay District (not sure on this needs confirmation)
Sudbury District (likely over 50% here)
Timiskaming District (likely over 50% here)
Frontenac County (unsure about this too, but believe NDP narrowly won this).

Once confirmed I can do up a county map.  Another one for US style maps is counties PCs got over 50%.  I have the following.

York Regional Municipality
Simcoe County
Dufferin County
Grey County (not sure about this need confirmation)
Bruce County
Haldimand-Norfolk
Perth County
Huron County
Oxford County
Lambton County
Chatham-Kent
Renfrew County
Lanark County
Stormont-Dundas & Glengarry United Counties
Leeds and Grenville United Counties
Kawartha Lakes
Haliburton County (not completely sure on this)

Also Hastings County, Prince Edward Division, and Lennox & Addington Counties are maybes as they appear to be pretty close either way.

PC Plurality only (As mentioned above might include Grey County, Hastings County, Prince Edward Division, Lennox & Addington County while possibly Frontenac County too).

Durham Regional Municipality
Peel Regional Municipality
Halton Regional Municipality
Brant County
Rainy River District
Kenora District
Nipissing District
Parry Sound District
Muskoka District
Ottawa
Glengarry and Prescott United Counties
Peterborough County
Northumberland County

So in sum it seems NDP dominates Northern Ontario counties plus urban ones in Southern Ontario.  PCs dominate suburban and rural ones in Southern Ontario.  If looking at over 50%, NDP only in Northern Ontario asides from Essex County while for PCs asides from York Regional Municipality (any idea why PC win was much bigger here than other 905 areas?; Harper's strongest were Durham and Halton not York) over 50% was mostly in rural Ontario, otherwise loss in urban Southern Ontario, plurality in suburban Southern Ontario, and majority in rural Southern Ontario.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #497 on: July 06, 2018, 03:23:03 PM »

Re: York Region, more of the noveau riche/McMansion new money demographic and Ford's popularity among Chinese and Italian Canadian voters.

BTW, I'm pretty sure York Region voted for Harper's Conservatives at a higher rate than Halton and Durham.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #498 on: July 06, 2018, 05:22:07 PM »

Re: York Region, more of the noveau riche/McMansion new money demographic and Ford's popularity among Chinese and Italian Canadian voters.

BTW, I'm pretty sure York Region voted for Harper's Conservatives at a higher rate than Halton and Durham.

Maybe in 2015, but in 2011 it was 51% Tories in York, while 54% in Durham, and 55% in Halton.  Certainly in 2006 and 2008, Halton was Harper's strongest followed by Durham, than York, and then Peel.  I think last election, Harper got around 45% in both York and Halton while closer to 40% in Durham.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #499 on: July 06, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »

I would be surprised if the Greens didn't win Wellington County. The non Guelph part of the county is not that populated. Most of Wellington-Halton Hills is actually Halton Hills.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies