If only native residents of a state voted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:53:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If only native residents of a state voted
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If only native residents of a state voted  (Read 835 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »

According to this NYT article from 2014, some states have a majority of their population originally from another state, while some are mostly native residents. How do you think the states would vote if only their native residents voted?

My estimate (for 2016) would be this:

Colorado and Nevada flip Republican because domestic migration (especially from California) is the primary reason they became swing states; ditto for Virginia except with Northeasterners. Florida flips Democratic because young voters there are pretty Democratic (and also more likely to be native residents) and much of the state's Republican strength comes from retirees from other parts of the country.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 03:50:06 PM »

Seems fairly accurate ... while natives in Upper New England voted Clinton, I wouldn't be surprised if "second generation and higher" Upper New Englanders voted Trump.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 04:06:31 PM »

Seems fairly accurate ... while natives in Upper New England voted Clinton, I wouldn't be surprised if "second generation and higher" Upper New Englanders voted Trump.

Vermont and maybe Maine vote slightly more Republican in this scenario, but I'd say in New Hampshire a lot of the 25% MA natives are Republican-leaning, considering some of the most GOP towns in the state are on or near the Massachusetts border and odds are most of the Massachusetts natives move to towns not too far from Boston.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies