Rules for Election What-ifs? (IGNORE AT YOUR OWN PERIL)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 01:20:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Rules for Election What-ifs? (IGNORE AT YOUR OWN PERIL)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rules for Election What-ifs? (IGNORE AT YOUR OWN PERIL)  (Read 3213 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:47:35 PM »

Speaking up as your resident moderator.

As a moderator of this board, I figure that I owe the community a lengthy and detailed description of my moderation policy. Foremostly, it is my job to adhere to the Terms of Service, as well as Dave Leip's own stated vision for uselectionatlas.org as an educational venue.

That being said, there is some degree of discretion at my disposal. One cornerstone of my personal moderation policy is that I believe strongly in the right to artistic expression, even if that results in some unpopular timelines. A timeline only favoring one ideology or point of view is not enough to disqualify it from this board: as a user, you need to vote with your mouse and keyboard. If you disagree with the narrative that a timeline is presenting, then don't click or comment on it.

Getting that out of the way, here's how I run this show:

Past Election What-Ifs?: Questions about former elections and possible counterfactuals go here. (Ex: John F. Kennedy in 1964?) Posts made in the main board about such possibilities will be moved here.

Alternative Elections: Discussion about possible future elections will go here. (Ex: Rubio in 2020?) Posts made in the main board about such possibilities will be moved here.

International What-ifs: "Discussion of alternate possibilities in international elections." As it says on the tin.

Lastly, a note on absurd counterfactuals:

I recognize that this is a venue that necessarily encourages us to let our imaginations run amok. I think that this is a positive outlet, for the most part. Pondering the results of John Lindsay squaring up against Louise D. Hicks is about as probable as Rand Paul running for Neptune's fifth  congressional district. Where I draw the arbitrary line is whether or not it stimulates some level of discussion: for instance, if you're going to make a What-If thread about Batman running for president, then you ought to be discussing Batman's views on vigilante justice, disregard for due process, and the fact that he was born on third base. As a wearer of many hats in a diner, I clean up enough waste in a given month, and don't need to deal with your intellectual excrement. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies