Bannon predicts government shutdown over border wall before midterms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:14:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bannon predicts government shutdown over border wall before midterms
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bannon predicts government shutdown over border wall before midterms  (Read 642 times)
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/01/politics/steve-bannon/index.html

[quote]

"I believe the government will actually shut down in the run-up to the election," Bannon told CNN's Fareed Zakaria, referring to the midterm elections in November.

"The wall is not just totemic," Bannon said. "The wall is absolutely central to his program."

"I believe that what he's going to do is, as we come up on September 30, if that appropriations bill does not include spending to fully build his wall -- not some $1.6 billion for prototypes, I mean to build the southern wall -- I believe he will shut down the government," Bannon added.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 11:13:20 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/01/politics/steve-bannon/index.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I personally think this is wishful thinking from Bannon.  I'll believe it when I see it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 11:21:44 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2018, 11:55:29 AM by Torie »

Shutting down the government to waste spending money on a wall that will have little or no impact these days? Bannon is obviously a Dem mole. That is a great way to greatly increase the odds that the Pubs lose control of both houses of Congress. Utterly nutter.
James Monroe

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »

Bannon looks to risk any credentials with his base by making bogus predictions that will give rise to the blue wave in November.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »

Ok Steve whatever you say
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »

I think it's plausible. I remember hearing an interview with a conservative activist on NPR in 2016 who said if Trump won and the wall wasn't started by 2018 the midterms would be a "bloodbath" for Republicans. Immigration was the animating issue behind his campaign and continues to be one of the pillars that unites the party.

Trump supporters (and generic R supporters) have shown they are willing to bend over backwards to defend the President but this is less true of congressional Republicans and state office holders. We've already seen several special elections in the last year and a half that show that Republican morale is generally low when Turmp is not on the ballot. Whether this is due to immigration or other things I can't answer right now but I can definitely see Republicans making hard plays at the Wall to energize voters (mainly by trying to score a win for Trump, which is I think all that these voters care about anyway).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 12:54:27 PM »

This is a shame for Democracy and the its gonna slow economic growth.  Both parties have played politics on this issue, and the Democrats need to give a little on the Wall while the GOP should give in a little on citizenship.

Closed for business for the government.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »

I haven't the slightest idea what mindset Trump will be in by the fall, so I'm not making any guesses as to what will happen with this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies