FIFA World Cup 2018 (Russia) Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 06:42:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA World Cup 2018 (Russia) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2018 (Russia) Thread  (Read 24830 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2018, 10:33:30 AM »

Little late, as a group of friends and I went to a music festival all weekend, but ... Germany! Sad  So many close chances.  That was a painful game to watch.  Pumped that Sweden got that first match win that they've been attempting for decades, though! Tongue
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2018, 11:07:39 AM »

Anybody else really surprised with Japan's win this morning?!
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2018, 11:38:11 AM »

Anybody else really surprised with Japan's win this morning?!

You can add Colombia and Japan to your list...

It would be so damn funny if Senegal and Japan are going to advance to the knockout stage, leaving to strong teams from the two soccer continents behind.  Mock
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »

So, tomorrow, Uruguay, Portugal and Spain all should win easily, but the way this tournament has been going, all three could at least face a draw against Morocco, Saudi Arabia and Iran respectively.

What do you think is the most likely outcome?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2018, 11:46:57 PM »

Very surprised by Japan winning. Fun to see, though. Not too surprised by Senegal--they have some good players--but Japan from everything I've seen and heard in the lead-up have been at their worst. Kagawa looked like he really wanted to win, him and Osaka seem like a good pairing. I wonder if Colombia's failure was a blip and they'll play better if James starts, or if they're just crap this time around.

I could see Morocco forcing Portugal's old defenders into a mistake or two, but they would need to be more efficient than they were against Iran. Ziyech wasn't allowed into that game and they'll have trouble getting a point if that happens again (that being said Portugal won't pack players behind the ball like Iran does, but I don't think they'll get too opened up in the back).

Portugal only beat Spain because of mostly dumb defensive errors that gave one of the best players in the world chances to score. It's not wrapped up yet at all. Wouldn't be surprised if they flub one of these.

Spain vs. Iran will look like Argentina vs. Iceland if Argentina could somehow figure out how to play as a damn team.

A bunch of teams in this tournament have put on marvelous, disciplined defensive displays that can shut down superior-yet-maybe-not-on-form attacking teams to get results or almost get results. Uruguay fits the latter description, Saudi Arabia is about as far as you can get from the former, showing an adventurous instinct to possess yet absolutely no ability to string together passes or defend against counterattacks. Nothing is guaranteed but Cavani could win the Golden Boot off of this game lol
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2018, 02:59:13 AM »

So, tomorrow, Uruguay, Portugal and Spain all should win easily, but the way this tournament has been going, all three could at least face a draw against Morocco, Saudi Arabia and Iran respectively.

What do you think is the most likely outcome?

Saudi Arabia is probably too crappy of a team to draw Portugal.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2018, 12:58:37 PM »

https://nypost.com/2018/06/19/journalist-groped-kissed-during-live-broadcast-at-world-cup/

So yeah, this happened...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Meanwhile, tomorrow, I've got Denmark drawing Australia, France defeating Peru, and Argentina defeating Croatia (though that last one could also be a draw).
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2018, 01:20:41 PM by Mike88 »

Th Portugal vs Morocco match was really, really bad for us. Yes, Portugal won but the team showed real disabilities everywhere: in defense, attack and midfield. The team is weaker this year, in my view, than in 2016 as it is too dependent on Cristiano. In 2016, they weren't so dependent on him and played much better without him. But this year, if it wasn't for Cristiano... God help us.

But, then again, in the 2016 Euro, Portugal also suffered a lot during the group stage and went on to winning the Euro. The fact Portugal didn't performed brilliantly, in that tournament, said more about the other countries than Portugal itself. This year, the big teams are, once again, showing big weaknesses.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »

I hate all these third world teams like Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Panama, etc.
They have showed zero progress all these years. Morocco and Saudi Arabia today could play till the cows come home and still they wouldn't score a single goal.
The Saudis faced elimination and yet you never saw more than one or two players inside Uruguay's box. How stupid (or scared) were they?
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2018, 03:52:23 PM »

This World Cup is so boring so far. Only two good matches: Portugal-Spain, Germany-Mexico.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »

This World Cup is so boring so far. Only two good matches: Portugal-Spain, Germany-Mexico.

Hmmm, have to disagree with ya there.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2018, 04:39:10 PM »

Hmmm, have to disagree with ya there.
Well, at least we have some surprises in terms of results, but in terms of quality of the game it's really poor in my view.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2018, 04:43:30 PM »

Euro 2016 also was really poor. Anyway, I suppose we'll have to wait for the knock-out games before it gets interesting. Damn, I hope Germany loses against Sweden, it's game over for them if they do. Germany 2018 could be like the Dutch performance during the 2012 European Championship (we were heavily hyped before losing all of our group matches and coming in last in our group). Schadenfreude Cheesy.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2018, 05:01:01 PM »

Euro 2016 also was really poor. Anyway, I suppose we'll have to wait for the knock-out games before it gets interesting. Damn, I hope Germany loses against Sweden, it's game over for them if they do. Germany 2018 could be like the Dutch performance during the 2012 European Championship (we were heavily hyped before losing all of our group matches and coming in last in our group). Schadenfreude Cheesy.

Spain 2014
Italy 2010
France 2002 (though I don't really remember that one)

Defending champs haven't fared well ... hopefully Germany gets its shlt together for Sweden.  Still rooting for the unlikely scenario that Sweden and Germany both advance!  Would need Mexico to choke hard.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2018, 11:42:22 PM »

I hate all these third world teams like Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Panama, etc.
They have showed zero progress all these years. Morocco and Saudi Arabia today could play till the cows come home and still they wouldn't score a single goal.
The Saudis faced elimination and yet you never saw more than one or two players inside Uruguay's box. How stupid (or scared) were they?

Panama has made the World Cup for the first time ever, if that's not literally the definition of "showing progress" I don't know what is...Morocco played better than the European champions FFS...
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2018, 04:17:44 AM »

Morocco played better than the European champions FFS...

No it didn't. Ball possession means nothing if you are unable to translate it to goals.
Morocco gives the impression that it wouldn't score even if the game lasted not 90 but 900 minutes.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »

Morocco played better than the European champions FFS...

No it didn't. Ball possession means nothing if you are unable to translate it to goals.
Morocco gives the impression that it wouldn't score even if the game lasted not 90 but 900 minutes.

And let's not forget that Portugal's victory was one gigantic clusterf**k nobody expected. Portugal was at the verge of being eliminated by Hungary or so in the group stage. Euro has a history of surprise victors though. Greece 2004, Denmark 1992. I see a pattern now btw. What about Armenia 2028?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »

Rooting for Germany this World Cup. Have been watching quite some games.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2018, 02:29:20 PM »

Lolargentina
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2018, 03:10:05 PM »

Supporting a tournament's weakest, most pathetic and least deserving team has been a proud tradition of mine. I now support Argentina.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2018, 03:21:10 PM »

Very proud to have picked both of Argentina's results correctly in my office pool. Croatia #1, Iceland #2 in my bracket portion.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »

I think it's safe to say Argentina will NOT be advancing from Group D (I think Iceland beats Croatia to secure their passage, eliminating Argentina, regardless of what Argentina does).

So for tomorrow, I'll take Brazil (I think they do much better against Costa Rica then they did against Switzerland), Iceland (as said, I think they beat Croatia to secure their passage to the second round with their win, and it essentially eliminates Argentina), and Serbia (I like Serbia's chances to pull an upset, irregardless of the Swiss's surprise draw against Brazil).
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »

Damn, what is with all of these upsets? This is wild.

Anyways, YES CROATIA! I love Messi, but Argentina didn't deserve the win.

Croatia is the dark horse.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2018, 03:54:25 PM »

I think it's safe to say Argentina will NOT be advancing from Group D (I think Iceland beats Croatia to secure their passage, eliminating Argentina, regardless of what Argentina does).

So for tomorrow, I'll take Brazil (I think they do much better against Costa Rica then they did against Switzerland), Iceland (as said, I think they beat Croatia to secure their passage to the second round with their win, and it essentially eliminates Argentina), and Serbia (I like Serbia's chances to pull an upset, irregardless of the Swiss's surprise draw against Brazil).

Why would Iceland beat Croatia? The best they can do is a tie, but I don't understand why Atlas is overestimating them.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #149 on: June 21, 2018, 04:10:12 PM »

Our squad contains, 3 Kosovars (Shaqiri, Behrami, Xhaka), 1 Macedonian Albanian (Dzemaili), 1 Croat (Drmic), 1 Bosnian croat (Gavranovic), 1 Bosniak (Seferovic).

Let's be honest, what hope have Serbia got against the whole of Yugoslavia?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies