Mitt Romney says he voted for his wife Ann in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:18:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Mitt Romney says he voted for his wife Ann in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mitt Romney says he voted for his wife Ann in 2016  (Read 3139 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2018, 04:15:16 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/31/politics/mitt-romney-2016-presidential-vote/index.html
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 04:17:35 PM »

doubt
James Monroe

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »

Lol such a counter vote against the Donald.

TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »

Not a bad choice at all. Cheesy
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 05:29:13 PM »

Better than voting for Trump.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 05:46:33 PM »

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »

A fine choice, far better than any of the candidates finishing with a significant number of votes.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »

A fine choice, far better than any of the candidates finishing with a significant number of votes.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »

She loves women!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 07:20:16 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2018, 07:27:05 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

Not an FF choice.  Really, an HP (hypocritccal pinhead) choice more than anything else.

Evan McMullin is an FF.  He saw Trump as a horrible candidate and he saw nothing that he wanted in the campaigns of HRC and Johnson.  So he DID something about it; he put his name on the ballot where he could, including Utah, a state in which it was entirely possible that the EV would go for him.  Had that happened, it's possible that enough faithless electors would have swung to McMullin to sent the election to the House, where an actual conservative Republican might have prevailed in the complicated process.

In hindsight, most conservatives would scoff at that today, because Trump has become their "signer-in-chief", giving them what they want.  That was not clear in 2016, and, on top of that, there was what Mitt said about Trump back then?

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/full-transcript-mitt-romneys-remarks-on-donald-trump-and-the-2016-race-220176

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's a pretty intense statement.  A pretty intense list of quotes from it, and that's not all of them.  And consider who the author of those statements were; it was MITT ROMNEY, the most prominent Mormon political figure in history who held the greatest reservoir of moral good will amongst Mormons in the West, and especially in Utah, where a Republican, running as an independent, had a chance to win Utah's EV and throw the process into a situation where neither Trump nor Hillary would prevaiil.

Running your mouth at that level of speed and intensity ought to bind you to do something.  If I were Romney, I'd have put myself on the ballot in Utah, or tried to persuade Utah's GOP to name electors pledged to Romney and someone like Bill Kristol.  Failing that, I'd have done all I could to enable McMullin/Finn to carry Utah.  

Imagine this map:

It's a 272-260 map with 6 EV from Utah for McMullin.  But what if after the election, Romney had convinced enough Republican electors to jettison Trump and support, say, Romney-Bush (and McMullin had allowed hiw electors to vote that way)?  How would THAT have played out in the Congress?

It's EXTREMELY possible that such an event would have resulted in the GOP dumping Trump and electing the rump slate of Romney-Bush.  The ELECTORS were not folks loyal to Trump; they were loyal to their state party organizations, and more than a few of them wanted to undo the Trump Hostile Takeover.  This is the course FF Romney would have taken.

Instead, Willard the Wimp voted for Wifey.  How nice; a gesture that isn't even counted in the tabulation of votes.  

Lots of folks here, including many I respect, admire Mitt Romney.  I'd have admired Mitt if he went this route; his rhetoric about Trump MANDATED action, and Romney was a guy who could have made something happen.  But he didn't have the stones.  In the end, Trump had far more grit than Romney, however misdirected it may be.  As Gunnery Sergeant Hartman said in Full Metal Jacket:  "Private Joker's silly and ignorant, but he's got guts, and guts is enough!"  For better or worse, Private Joker is now the Commander-in-Chief.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »

I actually agree with this.
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 12:32:16 AM »

Did his wife vote for him or Trump?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 08:46:11 AM »

FB's comment is too long to vote, but there a couple key things to note:

1. Romney's vote was tabulated, as an undervote, which is as significant as a McMullin vote.

2. Taking someone to task for not doing enough to support McMullin over Johnson-Weld is a level of political obsession and myopia previously undiscovered.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 10:57:08 PM »

Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 08:36:27 AM »

Any establishment republican who did not support Clinton threw away their vote.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »

Any establishment republican who did not support Clinton threw away their vote.

Although I'm not an "Establishment Republican" (any non-politician or donor or consultant who says he or she is an "Establishment Anything" is hilarious), this was my thinking as I stood in the voting booth that November.  Although I was never going to vote for Trump, I didn't feel particularly good about my Clinton vote, and I feel even less enthusiastic about that decision as I've seen how Democrats on this site have acted since then.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 07:17:27 PM »

President Ann would be spectacular
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:47 PM »

Any establishment republican American who did not support Clinton threw away their vote.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2018, 06:39:36 AM »

1. Romney's vote was tabulated, as an undervote, which is as significant as a McMullin vote.

2. Taking someone to task for not doing enough to support McMullin over Johnson-Weld is a level of political obsession and myopia previously undiscovered.
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you.  But.Utah was a unique opportunity for the #NeverTrump crowd to actually do something to throw a wrench into the EC and actually end up with the sort of conservative President they sought. That Mitt didn't pursue this course, in light of his own rhetoric is my issue.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:32 PM »

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you.  But.Utah was a unique opportunity for the #NeverTrump crowd to actually do something to throw a wrench into the EC and actually end up with the sort of conservative President they sought. That Mitt didn't pursue this course, in light of his own rhetoric is my issue.

In my 2016 thinking, I explicitly said that I would have voted for McMullin if I lived in Utah, so I agree with your hypothesis.  That was the one case where a third party vote was not the same as half a vote for each major candidate (which is what every Johnson/Stein vote really was).
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies