Does anyone here oppose interracial marriage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:38:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Does anyone here oppose interracial marriage?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Does anyone here oppose interracial marriage?  (Read 2445 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2018, 03:01:23 PM »
« edited: May 31, 2018, 03:45:21 PM by HillGoose »

Can anyone offer a valid justification for that view either?

My family seems to have always been upset at the fact that I'd rather be in a relationship with a smoking hot black/white mixed, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, Asian, or whatever than the white women around here, who are usually just unattractive. They say I'm "trying to breed the white out." But why would I compete with the other white guys who think like my family to get in a relationship with an unattractive person of my own race when I could more easily get a relationship with an attractive person of another race?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »

No.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 03:07:33 PM »

fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 03:10:02 PM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 03:13:00 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »

Don't hold your breath for anyone to come out against in.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »

every forum usually seems to have at least some who do, i'd just like to hear their justification for it. like why is it supposedly bad?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »

every forum usually seems to have at least some who do, i'd just like to hear their justification for it. like why is it supposedly bad?
Because that person is racist
mencken
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »

By oppose, do you mean "should be illegal", "should be discouraged", or "every case ought to be evaluated on an individual basis, but overall are less likely to be successful", or something else entirely?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »

By oppose, do you mean "should be illegal", "should be discouraged", or "every case ought to be evaluated on an individual basis, but overall are less likely to be successful", or something else entirely?

It's more like "interracial relationships are a cause and sign of moral decay, and should be discouraged" which I seem to get from the alt-right.
mencken
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 03:50:43 PM »

It's more like "interracial relationships are a cause and sign of moral decay, and should be discouraged" which I seem to get from the alt-right.

I do not agree with that view. That said, the xenophilia you express in the OP is also a tad curious. I would think common values and interests would be more important than race either way, but I guess I am just the neighborhood racist1 talking.

1This is sarcasm (since the dolts here seem to think I am racist) for those too dense to detect it.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »

I'm not opposed, but I heard my mother say she was opposed because the children of interracial marriages have a hard time fitting in to society. She obviously said this decades before Obama was elected.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 04:11:35 PM »

I do not agree with that view. That said, the xenophilia you express in the OP is also a tad curious. I would think common values and interests would be more important than race either way, but I guess I am just the neighborhood racist1 talking.

1This is sarcasm (since the dolts here seem to think I am racist) for those too dense to detect it.

Not sure I'd call it "xenophilia" because I wouldn't actually be with someone of a different culture, I mean most of the nonwhite women I've had relationships with fit the "basic white girl wearing ugg boots with a pumpkin spice latte in hand" stereotype far more than any actual white woman I've ever met.

I just find it much easier to get women who aren't white to date me. So I don't see why my family thinks it's "wrong" just because they're not white.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »

There are black and Asian people who dislike it when a member of their race is with a white person, e.g. Asian female and white male pairings. There are some legitimate reasons - e.g. some white male Asian female pairings are driven by yellow fever, and a power imbalance ensues. But to be categorically opposed to them is dumb and (hopefully) the minority opinion.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 04:35:37 PM »

Why don't you make a poll and find out?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »

Most opposition to interracial marriage probably is latent by now. People probably are completely fine with it if they see it on TV (or they think they are), but when one of their loved ones intends to marry a black person they'll find 1000 reasons to oppose it, none of which includes the race of the spouse even though it's clear they're just being racist and don't want to see their son/daughter marry an African American (or Latino/whatever).

And then you obviously have the complete racists who're open about it. But I don't think there are that many of them barring white male teenagers who live in their parents' basement in suburban Virginia or people who live in some white rural village in the Deep South where nobody has left the village since the 1950s.

Honestly, I think the amount of European people who admit don't want a Muslim in their family (Pew did a poll on this recently) is quite a lot higher than the amount of Americans who admit they don't want someone of another race in their family.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »

no butt i respekt al opinionz.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 04:49:02 PM »

I have heard a surprising amount of people oppose it. More than you'd expect.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 04:52:18 PM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »

Most opposition to interracial marriage probably is latent by now. People probably are completely fine with it if they see it on TV (or they think they are)

But it isn't really shown on TV, and it doesn't really happen all that much in the real world, probably an order of magnitude less often than would be expected if you had simply random pairings. It's not like homosexuality where you had more gay people and couples in the real world than you saw on TV until relatively recently. TV producers know that miscegenation is not a question with simple answers for most people, even if the vast majority of the population genuinely believe that anti-miscegenation laws and the like are wrong and should not exist.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »

Many rashist Mississippi Republicans oppose it.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 05:20:13 PM »

I have heard a surprising amount of people oppose it. More than you'd expect.

that's been my experience. especially online on forums, or with older people who live around here (including my family)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 05:32:25 PM »

Most opposition to interracial marriage probably is latent by now. People probably are completely fine with it if they see it on TV (or they think they are)

But it isn't really shown on TV, and it doesn't really happen all that much in the real world, probably an order of magnitude less often than would be expected if you had simply random pairings. It's not like homosexuality where you had more gay people and couples in the real world than you saw on TV until relatively recently. TV producers know that miscegenation is not a question with simple answers for most people, even if the vast majority of the population genuinely believe that anti-miscegenation laws and the like are wrong and should not exist.

"it doesn't happen that much in the real world"

literally I've been in 13 relationships since I was a teenager and only 6 were with white women. I don't think that's uncommon, especially among younger people. Even here in TN.

That's why I wonder why there's still a lot of resistance to it online, like more online than in real life almost. I'm looking to see the reasons behind opposing interracial relationships for those people.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 05:42:32 PM »

I oppose OP marrying anybody of any race.
mencken
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 05:51:50 PM »

literally I've been in 13 relationships since I was a teenager

And you're asking a forum of map nerds for relationship advice? Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies