Samantha Bee calls Ivanka a kциt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:11:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Samantha Bee calls Ivanka a kциt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Samantha Bee calls Ivanka a kциt  (Read 9192 times)
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2018, 02:00:38 PM »

I've never watched Samantha Bee, and calling Ivanka a c*** is definitely uncalled for in my opinion, but I thought conservatives hated  "rampant political correctness" on the left...
Rules are out the window now. Do you expect us to take it up the ass while you bastardize and destroy our culture?
What "culture"?
Oh yeah silly me, I forgot, we're a bunch of uncultured rubes Roll Eyes

Calling someone the C-word and saying a black woman looks like an ape are not comparable.

Reading conservatives on Twitter and elsewhere after this incident, pulling arbitrary incidents and asking why that is OK vs what Roseanne said, is starting to make me wonder if they understand why there was a backlash to Roseanne's tweet(s) in the first place. Take for instance people saying Bill Maher should be fired for comparing Trump to an ape. Do they not get why calling black people apes is offensive vs calling almost anyone else an ape? Black people = apes is a very old racial insult.  There is nothing inherently offensive on that level with calling say, a white person an ape. It's just a regular insult in that context. If someone called me an ape, I'd take it that they are calling me stupid. If you call a black person an ape, it's a hurtful racial attack that ties into a lot of pain and suffering that group of people has endured for centuries. It's a whole different situation.

Likewise, calling a woman a c**nt is offensive - I know a lot of women take extra offensive at that word for that matter, but it doesn't really go beyond the bounds of standard insults.

I guarantee that if Trump was ever caught on tape using the word, you’d call for his impeachment. But it’s good to see liberal hypocrisy is alive and well.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »

I've never watched Samantha Bee, and calling Ivanka a c*** is definitely uncalled for in my opinion, but I thought conservatives hated  "rampant political correctness" on the left...
Rules are out the window now. Do you expect us to take it up the ass while you bastardize and destroy our culture?
What "culture"?
Oh yeah silly me, I forgot, we're a bunch of uncultured rubes Roll Eyes

Calling someone the C-word and saying a black woman looks like an ape are not comparable.

Reading conservatives on Twitter and elsewhere after this incident, pulling arbitrary incidents and asking why that is OK vs what Roseanne said, is starting to make me wonder if they understand why there was a backlash to Roseanne's tweet(s) in the first place. Take for instance people saying Bill Maher should be fired for comparing Trump to an ape. Do they not get why calling black people apes is offensive vs calling almost anyone else an ape? Black people = apes is a very old racial insult.  There is nothing inherently offensive on that level with calling say, a white person an ape. It's just a regular insult in that context. If someone called me an ape, I'd take it that they are calling me stupid. If you call a black person an ape, it's a hurtful racial attack that ties into a lot of pain and suffering that group of people has endured for centuries. It's a whole different situation.

Likewise, calling a woman a c**nt is offensive - I know a lot of women take extra offensive at that word for that matter, but it doesn't really go beyond the bounds of standard insults.

I guarantee that if Trump was ever caught on tape using the word, you’d call for his impeachment. But it’s good to see liberal hypocrisy is alive and well.

So much for that theory.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2018, 07:22:34 PM »

The worst thing Samantha Bee did was cause a "controversy" while the Roseanne fallout was still germinating. Now we're getting the false equivalencies between them. At worst all she is culpable of is poor timing, if anything.

Anyway, Samantha Bee doesn't deserve this. Unlike Roseanne Barr who was just being crude and mean-spirited, this had context. Bee was making a point in a segment about policy about how Ivanka is complicit in her father's actions, even as she plays coy. She is feckless! I don't know if I would call her "the c word" but it's such a generic, empty insult in spite of its harshness. It can refer to men too. I know that it is sometimes used that way in Anglo countries. So, the use of that word somehow reflecting negatively towards women; from one of the most prominent, proud feminist socio-political comics, is laughable. This is Michelle Wolf's "controversy" all over again. It's just the right-wing taking up an opportunity to project upon a comment and concern troll to try and justify their outrage, when any other time they wouldn't care. It changes the subject from having to defend someone on their team and becomes another one of their "what about" deflections. Maybe we who oppose Trump should be more conscious of when we are giving his supporters ammunition. But the burden should be on them to be consistent! It's cliche to say at this point, but Trump has said so much worse and has done/is doing so much worse! The same goes for those associated with him. Didn't Ted Nugent use the same insult against Hillary Clinton once? Where were his consequences? I know he doesn't have a show or anything but if Bee should be condemned, so should he. The "party of personal responsibility" doesn't seem to be too into that anymore (not that they ever were). Bee, meanwhile, apologized. She probably shouldn't have but whatever, at least she didn't blame anyone or anything else *cough Ambien *cough*. That really should be enough.

Anyway, it's a net positive for the right (as everything seems to be). They have a new piece to add to their counterargument repertoire, even if it is a dumb piece, and much of the rest of the media seemed to be jumping on their bandwagon. Hell, she lost sponsors over this. This truly is another egregious example of the false equivalencies that plague our politics in this country.

By the way, this shouldn't even be a top news story. There are many more important things going on that should be our priority to focus on, yet here we are. Hell, I'm guilty of it, I'm writing an overly long post about it now. I guess I'll leave it at that.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »

The worst thing Samantha Bee did was cause a "controversy" while the Roseanne fallout was still germinating. Now we're getting the false equivalencies between them. At worst all she is culpable of is poor timing, if anything.

Anyway, Samantha Bee doesn't deserve this. Unlike Roseanne Barr who was just being crude and mean-spirited, this had context. Bee was making a point in a segment about policy about how Ivanka is complicit in her father's actions, even as she plays coy. She is feckless! I don't know if I would call her "the c word" but it's such a generic, empty insult in spite of its harshness. It can refer to men too. I know that it is sometimes used that way in Anglo countries. So, the use of that word somehow reflecting negatively towards women; from one of the most prominent, proud feminist socio-political comics, is laughable. This is Michelle Wolf's "controversy" all over again. It's just the right-wing taking up an opportunity to project upon a comment and concern troll to try and justify their outrage, when any other time they wouldn't care. It changes the subject from having to defend someone on their team and becomes another one of their "what about" deflections. Maybe we who oppose Trump should be more conscious of when we are giving his supporters ammunition. But the burden should be on them to be consistent! It's cliche to say at this point, but Trump has said so much worse and has done/is doing so much worse! The same goes for those associated with him. Didn't Ted Nugent use the same insult against Hillary Clinton once? Where were his consequences? I know he doesn't have a show or anything but if Bee should be condemned, so should he. The "party of personal responsibility" doesn't seem to be too into that anymore (not that they ever were). Bee, meanwhile, apologized. She probably shouldn't have but whatever, at least she didn't blame anyone or anything else *cough Ambien *cough*. That really should be enough.

Anyway, it's a net positive for the right (as everything seems to be). They have a new piece to add to their counterargument repertoire, even if it is a dumb piece, and much of the rest of the media seemed to be jumping on their bandwagon. Hell, she lost sponsors over this. This truly is another egregious example of the false equivalencies that plague our politics in this country.

By the way, this shouldn't even be a top news story. There are many more important things going on that should be our priority to focus on, yet here we are. Hell, I'm guilty of it, I'm writing an overly long post about it now. I guess I'll leave it at that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2018, 07:34:22 PM »

Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2018, 09:40:36 PM »

So if I, a white male, call Samantha Bee the same thing she called Ivanka Trump, am I in the "bad, but not an HP" category?  Or am I then a "sexist" and needing to check in to the re-education camp right next door to the "racist" re-education camp?

Those who call this "whataboutism" have begged those questions.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2018, 10:01:44 PM »

So if I, a white male, call Samantha Bee the same thing she called Ivanka Trump, am I in the "bad, but not an HP" category?  Or am I then a "sexist" and needing to check in to the re-education camp right next door to the "racist" re-education camp?

Whataboutism can be talked about forever.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2018, 10:07:20 PM »

Whataboutism can be talked about forever.
Well, yes, I agree with the last point.  Whataboutism is a bit circular in nature.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2018, 07:07:03 AM »

I’m of the camp who thinks Bee should be fired.

But I’m still waiting on a Republican to tell me the difference in what she said about Ivanka and what Ted Nugent and Rosanne said about Hillary in 2016.  Also, how it’s different from Trump voters at rallies wearing shirts that say “Trump That Bitch” or have a photo of Hillary with the c-word written above it.

Surely you’re not all hypocrites right?  Right?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2018, 07:51:10 AM »

But I’m still waiting on a Republican to tell me the difference in what she said about Ivanka and what Ted Nugent and Rosanne said about Hillary in 2016.  Also, how it’s different from Trump voters at rallies wearing shirts that say “Trump That Bitch” or have a photo of Hillary with the c-word written above it.

Trust me. Its different. If you knew what I did, you would agree.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »

Nugent's the worst of the lot; he came the closest of all of them to actually making a viable threat.  He's lucky he's not in jail.

I will say that there's no excuse for any Christian signing off on Nugent's behavior, or minimizing it in any way.  That he's a 2nd Amendment supporter doesn't excuse his comments.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2018, 10:18:19 AM »

Nugent's the worst of the lot; he came the closest of all of them to actually making a viable threat.  He's lucky he's not in jail.

I will say that there's no excuse for any Christian signing off on Nugent's behavior, or minimizing it in any way.  That he's a 2nd Amendment supporter doesn't excuse his comments.

I was being facetious.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2018, 02:10:32 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2018, 02:13:43 PM by PR »

I've never watched Samantha Bee, and calling Ivanka a c*** is definitely uncalled for in my opinion, but I thought conservatives hated  "rampant political correctness" on the left...

What culture? The "Bathing yourself in White American Persecution Complex (TM)" one?

Yeah the sooner your "culture" (lmao) is destroyed, the better. No this is not about class or religion or region or whatever - you should know, given your own past history.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »

No? Who told you this?

It's certainly not as Absolutely Forbidden as in the United States, but it is a swear word and it is usually considered to be worse than fyck.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2018, 03:56:43 PM »

No? Who told you this?

It's certainly not as Absolutely Forbidden as in the United States, but it is a swear word and it is usually considered to be worse than fyck.
Strange that while being Absolutely Forbidden, it's not cut out by the automatic censor, as fuсk is.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2018, 06:06:01 PM »

No? Who told you this?

Strange that while being Absolutely Forbidden, it's not cut out by the automatic censor, as fuсk is.

That one has always confused me as well! Perhaps Dave is a secret cursing subversive.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2018, 07:35:16 AM »

No? Who told you this?

Yeah it appears MormDem is confusing Britain with Australia.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2018, 08:12:32 PM »

Did anyone else see her apology? I think she handled it pretty well. She admitted guilt without making excuses (she didn't blame Ambien), having a sense of humor about it, and maintaining her principles while she's at it. It didn't come off as desperate or phony. Check it out below if you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPAqgjqSDos
twenty42
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2018, 04:32:32 AM »

Did anyone else see her apology? I think she handled it pretty well. She admitted guilt without making excuses (she didn't blame Ambien), having a sense of humor about it, and maintaining her principles while she's at it. It didn't come off as desperate or phony. Check it out below if you want:

The nice thing about being on the left is that you get to keep your job and you have a patient press willing to hear you out. Conservatives lose their jobs within hours and then get locked out of the opportunity to apologize.

As far as I’m concerned, Sam can stick this “apology” up her a$$. She didn’t atone to Ivanka personally for the vile, sexist thing she said...instead she basically just said that regrets saying what she said because it unnecessarily dominated the news cycle for a couple days. She also couldn’t resist making it political, and then tried to play the woman card even though SHE was the one who used the sexist word in the first place. I don’t know what was classy or well-handled about this monologue...came off more as self-absolution to me.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2018, 07:11:48 AM »

The nice thing about being on the left is that you get to keep your job and you have a patient press willing to hear you out. Conservatives lose their jobs within hours and then get locked out of the opportunity to apologize.

As far as I’m concerned, Sam can stick this “apology” up her a$$. She didn’t atone to Ivanka personally for the vile, sexist thing she said...instead she basically just said that regrets saying what she said because it unnecessarily dominated the news cycle for a couple days. She also couldn’t resist making it political, and then tried to play the woman card even though SHE was the one who used the sexist word in the first place. I don’t know what was classy or well-handled about this monologue...came off more as self-absolution to me.

This, for the most part.  I normally don't spurn apologies, even when they're lame, as lame apologies are the best some folks can do.  I really don't believe that Samantha Bee has any regret over what she said; after all, it was about a Trump.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »

We're beyond this issue by now but I will say one last thing. If it is any consolation, Bee did not get away unscathed. She lost sponsors and is now probably going to be scrutinized further by TBS in future broadcasts. This was strike one. She'll clearly learn from this and try not to rock the boat too hard in the future.
The comparisons to Roseanne's show getting canceled don't seem to be fading either. ABC took a way bigger chance with green-lighting the reboot of Roseanne than TBS did with Full Frontal. Roseanne Barr had always wallowed in conspiracy theories and low effort crudeness, ABC essentially decided that her Valerie Jarrett tweet was the last straw. What Barr did potentially would have alienated more people than Bee's insult did  and ABC took that into account. I'm sure TBS did to with all of the Trump supporters it offended, but that demographic wasn't really going to be tuning in to Bee's show anyway. You may not like it, but it is fairly indicative of where the county is moving. In spite of our current President and his party trying to slow it down, progress always wins in the end and the reactions from institutions like cable networks occurring one way as opposed to another is further evidence of that.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2018, 07:24:01 PM »

I’m disappointed that she apologized for speaking the truth.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2018, 08:14:59 PM »

Don’t ever play the woman card, you crumb.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »

there are so many layers of wut in this post
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2018, 01:43:14 AM »

I’ll play every card in the deck, you Republican.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies