Lincoln Senate Debate Debating Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:53:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lincoln Senate Debate Debating Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lincoln Senate Debate Debating Thread  (Read 1605 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2018, 06:25:32 AM »

June 2018 Lincoln Senate Debate

Hello and welcome to the Lincoln Senate Debate for the upcoming elections starting on the 22nd! This debate will consist of 3 rounds: Opening statements, questions and then rebuttals and closing statements.

Please welcome the candidates:
Senator Not_Madigan
Lincoln Secretary of State Jimmy7812

Candidates, you have 24 hours to make your opening statements!

(Voters, please don't forget to send me any questions you have for the candidates)

Note: Only the candidates can write here. If you want to comment, the commentary thread is here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=292900.0
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 04:41:33 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2018, 10:11:41 PM by Not Senator Not Madigan »

Hello my Fellow Citizens of Lincoln and Atlasians.  First I would like to thank Thumb21 for holding this debate, and my opponent, Lincoln Sec. of State Jimmy7812 for attending, so we can give the people of Lincoln a transparent look at our views on the Issues.

I believe the first thing I should address is why I'm running for reelection.  Well, I believe that Lincoln needs to have a voice in the Senate that will be there for every vote, and recognizes the problems that face our nation and responds to them accordingly, as well as upholding the Office of Senator to the degree of Respect and Integrity it deserves.

I believe that throughout my Term, I've done exactly that.  When I recognized the Budget Crisis and Deficit that Atlasia has, I made a firm commitment to vote only for fully funded Bills and to find ways to cut into the Deficit, and I did just that with my support for the Health Through Prevention Act, The Paygo Resolution, and my Nay vote against the Unfunded Free Higher Education for Atlasia Act.  My record rather clearly shows that I've been Fiscally Responsible and have avoided unfunded spending in this time, and I will continue that if reelected.

In addition to Fiscal Responsibility, I've also fought for solutions to better the everyday lives of Lincolnites and Atlasians.  

In order to fight for better Healthcare for Atlasians, I supported the Cheaper Medicine For the Poors Act, which helps to lower the costs and increase access to Lifesaving Drugs for Atlasians, as well as the Right to Try Act, which gives Atlasians the chance to try potentially life-saving experimental Drugs.  Finally, I supported the Care for Veterans Act, which gives Veterans the ability to receive Mental Healthcare from the Atlasian Government, as a small bit of repayment for their service.

On Labor and Free Trade, I backed the Fairness to Workers Act, which would regulate Trade with Foreign Nations and require those that fail to meet the Environmental Standards Atlasia does to pay Duties as a consequence until they meet the same standards we do, helping to equalize the playing field between Atlasia's workers and the rest of the world, as well as helping the environment.  In addition, I voted to Ratify the Free Trade Treaty with Botswana, Tanzania, and Zambia, which can be revoked if any of the nations violates the environmental terms of the treaty, holding them to the same standards as the Fairness to Workers Act.

I believe my First Term has a record of supporting solutions that help the average Atlasian, as well as holding the Government accountable Fiscally and Ethically, and this is the record I humbly submit to the people of Lincoln for review.  If you approve of my record and Re-Elect me, I will proudly continue to serve you as a Principled voice for Lincoln, fighting only for you.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 05:26:37 PM »

Hello Lincoln citizens! I want to thank Thumb21 for hosting this debate and incumbent Senator Not_Madigan for taking part in it.

I am running for Senate to Make Lincoln Great Again! I will be an independent voice in the Senate and I will support policies that give all regions and citizens more freedom and rights. I will fight to improve the economic conditions of the poor and middle-class and support ways to increase economic opportunities for them.

As many of you all know, I served in the Assembly and was the Speaker for a period of that time. During that time, I wrote and supported many bills that improved the lives of our citizens. This includes the "Lincoln Infrastructure Renewal and Maintenance Act”, which greatly impacted our region’s infrastructure, and is something I would like to implement on the federal level if elected to the senate.

After I left the assembly, I continued working and introduced several more bills to the assembly. They include the “Distracted Driving Prevention Act”, the “Eminent Domain Reform Act”, and the “Police Body Camera Act”.

On the federal level, I also introduced the “Right to Try Act” to the Atlasia House, which helps those who are seeking experimental treatment get it whereas before they would have no options for other treatments.

I want to continue my work at improving the lives of Lincoln citizens and all Atlasian citizens, and if elected, I will make sure to work hard to get it done. Today I am here asking for your vote so we can Make Lincoln Great Again! Thank you for your time.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 06:53:26 AM »

Thank you for your opening statements, candidates! We will now move on to round two of the debate!

Candidates, you have 48 hours to answer the following questions!
Given the amount of questions, I will be willing to give candidates an extension within reason if they need it.

Economic policy:
> What is your view on free trade? To what extent should it be regulated and why?
> What is your view on the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act and why?
> Pericles to all: How specifically do you propose to reduce the deficit? Would you prioritize tax increases or spending cuts?
Social policy:
> What policies do you propose regarding the environment?
> Mr. Reactionary to all: Should we reduce allowable water fluoride pollution from the current level of 4 ppm to 1.5 ppm?
Foreign policy:
> Atlasia is now in direct combat with Chinese forces in and around Korea. How should this crisis be solved and why?
> How involved should Atlasia be in the Venezuelan Crisis, if at all?
> Mr. Reactionary to all: Should the President repeal PDD 25?
Constitutional policy:
> How powerful should regional government be?
> Wxtransit to all: What is your stance on parliamentary reform?
Qualifications/Judgement:
> Ninja0428 to all: What makes you different from your opponent?
> Wxtransit to all: Why are you the best candidate to represent Lincoln?
> Politicalmasta73 to all: Why should people from other parties vote for you?
> Politicalmasta73 to all: How much do you think your party would affect how you would vote as a Senator?
> Wxtransit to Jimmy7812: Why did you support LouisvilleThunder in the April Senate election?

Thank you Ninja0428, Wxtransit, Mr. Reactionary, Pericles and Politicalmasta73 for your questions!

Note: Only the candidates can write here. If you want to comment, the commentary thread is here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=292900.0
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 06:16:31 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2018, 08:14:50 PM by Not Senator Not Madigan »

Economic Policy

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, I believe that Free Trade is generally a good thing, as long as our trade partners are held to the same environmental standards we are, otherwise our workers and businesses would be faced with an unfair playing field, as well as other nations harming the environment.  That's why, as I said in my opening statement, that I voted for the Fairness to Workers Act, which requires nations we trade with to have the same environmental standards we do, otherwise they'll have to pay duties according to the cost that Atlasian companies pay to produce the same product.  

Overall on Free Trade, I believe in this era Atlasia must stand for her workers and equalizing the playing field in trade, as well as holding nations worldwide to the cause of helping the environment and stopping climate change.

Ah AtlasCare.  I believe, rather firmly, that AtlasCare has been a great thing for the Atlasian people.  It consolidated all the various public options into one, unified public option that cut down significantly on bureaucracy and made things a lot easier to understand for the average atlasian.  In addition to this, instead of having every regulation decided at the federal level and made into a "one size fits all" type deal, it gives the regions the reigns on most of the major decisions on how to deal with their healthcare, which I believe is the best possible choice as each region faces different problems, and should come up with ways to deal with them on their own, rather than having Nyman "solve" their problems.

So in the end I believe AtlasCare is of great benefit to the people of Atlasia, and I am firmly against any efforts to repeal it.

I believe a good mixture of the two is what we should strive for.  On potential cuts, I completely oppose any cuts to Healthcare, Welfare, or Social Security, as that would harm the people who require aid the most.  So what would I propose cutting?  Older weapons systems within the military that are just sitting mothballed or not being used, some agriculture cuts, and streamlining of the government through hunting down waste, such as selling off excesses and underused federal land or property.

On Tax Increases I believe we should increase income taxes on the 413-441K and 441K+ brackets in order to have the burden be placed on the highest earners, as well as cutting down on the amount of loopholes the higher earners are able to use to avoid paying taxes.  In addition to this, I supported the Paygo Resolution in the Senate to make sure any bill that has spending within it is fully funded, either through cuts or tax increases, or it cannot pass the Senate.

So I believe that in order to fix this budget crisis, we need to have a mixture of non-harmful cuts as well as tax increases, and hold our government accountable with resolutions like Paygo in order to prevent a deficit of this size from occurring ever again.

Social policy

Well, as I already stated with Free Trade, I believe that Atlasia should hold our trade partners to the same environmental standards we have with traded goods, and have them pay duties on goods if they fail to do so.  In addition to that, on the World stage Atlasia should stay within the Paris Accords, as well as try and establish more binding agreements with nations in order to aid the environment globally (Though I imagine that'd be a bit tough at this point in time).  

At home, I believe that we should continue moving towards a greener economy on the whole, and phasing out the fossil fuel industries while pushing for more investment in green energy.  In addition to this, I believe tightening regulations on chemicals and fuels is another thing we should aim for, which is why I voted for the Environmental Regulations Act, which establishes excise taxes on certain chemicals, regulated offshore oil drilling and regional/international crossing pipelines to have shut-off systems in order to prevent spills and leaks from harming the environment.

So to sum it all up, we've done much so far as a nation on aiding the environment, especially in the last session of congress, but I believe there is more to be done on the world stage and at home to protect the Earth we all live on.

After reading the article you posted in the Senate on fluoride in water, and the fact that it can harm babies if mixed with baby formula, I believe reducing the allowable amount to 1.5 ppm would be beneficial to public health overall. (And maybe prevent gay frogs too Wink)

Foreign policy

Now, this has been a point of contention for a while now, but there's a very clear fact on the war in Korea, our Allies are threatened.  The People's Republic of Korea is fighting for it's very life, trying to protect it's people from the horror of being subjected to a communist regime again, and our allies in South Korea and Japan are all endangered by this possibility as well, especially with China having troops on the peninsula.  So, knowing this, I believe Atlasia should continue fighting in the peninsula with our allies against the Chinese and Loyalist Koreans, as well as sending economic and medical aid to the people of North Korea to make sure they're able to succeed when this war ends.  However, I do believe we should attempt negotiating with the Chinese in order to stop the fighting on the peninsula and bring our troops home, but we must make sure that in any treaty the ENTIRETY of North Korea is under the rule of the Democracy of The People's Republic of Korea, finally allowing the people of North Korea the freedom and rights they deserve.  

So in conclusion, we should attempt negotiations with the Chinese in order to allow the PRK to rule all of North Korea and bring peace to the peninsula, but until those negotiations bear fruit, Atlasia should continue to stand and fight with our allies and the people of North Korea for their freedom.

The situation in Venezuela has, well rapidly developed is an understatement.  The people of Venezuela are standing up against their Nicolas Maduro's regime and protesting for freedom and democracy, yet he only cracked down further on freedoms and is only attempting to stamp out the protests with the military.  However, in recent days, Troops of the Regime mutinied after being ordered to fire on the protestors, refusing to shoot their fellow Venezuelans and joined the protestors, and I applaud them for that.

Now, on Atlasian involvement in this crisis.  I already voted for the Supporting Democracy in Venezuela Senate Resolution, and I sincerely hope the President and Secretary of State take action to help the protesters in their fight for democracy in Venezuela, as well as coordinating with our allies in the region so that if the Maduro regime does fall, we would help Venezuela rebuild and become the stable democracy it's people deserve.

Edit:  So, after reading over the order more fully, and looking at an interpretation of it, I realize now that the order itself does not solve the problem of Atlasian Troops being under foreign control, and that would be unconstitutional.  As such, I would support repealing PDD 25 as Atlasian Troops should not be under foreign control under any circumstances, and we should choose what peacekeeping operations we involve ourselves in as a nation.

Constitutional policy

I believe at this point the current extent of regional powers is sufficient.  The ability to set their own tax rates, regulations on the economy, environment, control their own healthcare system, gun rights, and various social issues is something the regions have the right to have, as each one has differing views on solutions to their problems and shouldn't be forced to follow just what Nyman believes is the solution.  So I'm strongly supportive of the current extent of regional powers, and I would be apprehensive to any attempt to expand Nyman's power over the regions.

I am completely and wholeheartedly in support of a Parliamentary System in Atlasia, for a number of reasons.  First off, I believe that it would help to increase interest and activity among new players and in attracting players, and possibly attract those who have been uninterested in the current system of government in the game.  Second, I believe a Parliamentary system would lead to the creation of new parties, as people of similar ideologies would be able to gain representation in a smaller more ideologically similar party, rather than having to join a big tent party just to get in office.  In addition to that, with smaller parties forming in this system, parties would become far more clearly defined on policy and offer voters a clear choice.  Finally, I believe a parliamentary system would promote government activity and debate, as things like PMQs would occur, having the Prime Minister answer questions on policy and debate, and in addition to that I believe we should allow citizens to submit questions during PMQs, allowing the average citizen to have more of a voice in government than they do now.  In addition to PMQs, government activity would also increase due to the presence of party whips, which would whip MPs to vote on every piece of legislation, helping to solve the voting problem we've had for a while in our government.

So in conclusion, I believe a parliamentary system would help more clearly define parties, give people a party that truly represents them, and promote activity in our government and among citizens of Atlasia.

Qualifications/Judgement

Well I believe I've had a firm record of achieving my principles on the Federal Level.  On protecting the environment, I Amended the Environmental Regulations Act in order to protect the carbon tax, which has helped to reduce carbon emissions in Atlasia.  On gun control, I backed the Let's Try This Act, which stops the sale of bump stocks while also increasing background checks, and reforming the No Fly List, and I believe this is enough of a step for gun control at the federal level at this point in time.  Finally, I believe I have the ability to recognize problems in our nation, such as the deficit and foreign affairs, rather than talk about issues that don't seem to have relevance, like Immigration, which I don't believe is actually a big problem in Atlasia, with all due respect to Jimmy.

So to sum up, I believe I've advocated for and have a record of achieving my principles on the federal level, as well as recognizing the relevant problems that need to be solved in Atlaisa today.

Well, I believe that as Senator I've had a record of fighting for the people of Lincoln on a number of issues.  One of those issues being personal liberty, which was boosted through the Religious Freedom Amplication Act, which allows government workers to wear religious clothing while at work, as well as protecting the religious rights of clergymen and prisoners.  Another bill relating to personal liberty was the Reforming Criminal Law Act, which eliminates a number of substances from the Controlled Substances Act, as well as removing minimum sentencing and improving the rights of prisoners.  

In addition to personal liberty, as I've stated previously, I have a strong record of fiscal responsibility and improving protections of the environment, as well as helping our workers be treated fairly during trade with other nations.  Finally, I've had a 100% attendance record on every vote in the senate since I became a Senator, and I believe that helps Lincoln's voice be heard on every piece of legislation.  So that's why I believe I'm the best candidate for Lincoln, and I promise to continue my record of fighting for Lincoln in the senate and making sure our voice is heard on every vote, as it should be.

Well, I believe that I've proven that I'm independent of my party, and that I'm willing to break from my party whenever I believe legislation isn't good for Lincoln or Atlasia.  In addition to that, I believe I've proven myself flexible and willing to work with any party on legislation that will benefit the people of Lincoln and Atlasia.  Finally, I think I'm not some ideological radical, and that my views are more to the center of the political spectrum where most people regardless of party end up.

So I believe people of other parties can vote for me, as I'm able to be independent of my party, and have proven that, and I'm more than willing to compromise with anyone, regardless of party, in order to benefit the people of Lincoln and Atlasia as a whole.

Well, in all honesty, not that much.  I believe the only issue my party really affects me on that has had any impact on how I vote is Alliance's stand on Fiscal Responsibility, which the major parties support and it seems like a common position among Lincolnites anyway.  Overall I think my partisan affiliation has had minimal impact on how I've voted in the Senate, and I promise that it will continue to have little impact on how I vote if I'm reelected, as I work for the people of Lincoln and Atlasia, not for my political party.

Conclusion

So, I believe I've stated my positions and principles rather clearly, in addition to my record as Senator.  I'd be happy to take any more questions if anyone would like to submit them in the Commentary Thread, otherwise I look forward to seeing my opponent's answers!

Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 07:46:15 PM »

Economic policy:
> What is your view on free trade? To what extent should it be regulated and why?
Free trade can be good, but only when done properly. All trade agreements must protect Atlasian jobs and include labour, human rights, and environmental conditions for the countries agreeing to them. Otherwise, it hurts our workers and industries, and benefits other countries who use unfair practices.

> What is your view on the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act and why?
Healthcare should not be completely regionalized, but the federal government should give regions more control over the healthcare they provide. This will result in higher-quality healthcare for all citizens.

> Pericles to all: How specifically do you propose to reduce the deficit? Would you prioritize tax increases or spending cuts?
The deficit would be reduced by a combination of reducing wasteful spending and reforming the tax code to make sure people and corporations pays the taxes they are supposed to. Any tax increases would only affect those making an annual income of over $250,000.

Social policy:
> What policies do you propose regarding the environment?
Climate change is a serious issue and the environment needs to be protected. More regulations should be passed to prevent pollution and other actions that harm the environment. Fines on companies who break environmental laws should be greatly increased. Investment in clean and renewable energy should be increased to reduce fossil fuel use, to create jobs, and to increase the energy independence of Atlasia.

> Mr. Reactionary to all: Should we reduce allowable water fluoride pollution from the current level of 4 ppm to 1.5 ppm?
The allowable water fluoride pollution level should be reduced to 1.5 ppm from the current 4 ppm level. While adding fluoride to water helps dental health, studies show that adding too much can cause negative health effects.

Foreign policy:
> Atlasia is now in direct combat with Chinese forces in and around Korea. How should this crisis be solved and why?
This crisis can be solved by using full military force and putting maximum pressure on China diplomatically, making it clear they can surrender and agree to a peace agreement at anytime for an immediate end to the fighting.

> How involved should Atlasia be in the Venezuelan Crisis, if at all?
Atlasia should make it clear that the Venezuelan government is a dictatorship and should give aid and support to opposition groups. Military intervention should only be used a last resort.

> Mr. Reactionary to all: Should the President repeal PDD 25?
I believe the President should repeal PDD 25. Atlasia should have full control over its military and the peacekeeping operations it involves itself in.

Constitutional policy:
> How powerful should regional government be?
Regional government powers should be expanded so they can have more power to pass laws, make decisions, and decide how to use the federal funding they are allocated.

> Wxtransit to all: What is your stance on parliamentary reform?
I am not completely opposed to replacing our current presidential system with a parliamentary system, but I still favor staying with the current government.

Qualifications/Judgement:
> Ninja0428 to all: What makes you different from your opponent?
Unlike Senator Not_Madigan, I support regions having more freedom and control over their governments which reduces federal government overreach. I also support Atlasia having a generally noninterventionist foreign policy under most conditions except for national security concerns.

> Wxtransit to all: Why are you the best candidate to represent Lincoln?
I am the best candidate to represent Lincoln because I will fight to improve the lives of all citizens in any way I can. I will support policies that create jobs, improve healthcare and education, and result in better and more modern infrastructure.

> Politicalmasta73 to all: Why should people from other parties vote for you?
I am running to represent the interests of all Lincoln citizens, not just those in the Federalist Party. I am not afraid to support or vote for bills I believe to be good that are not supported by my party.

> Politicalmasta73 to all: How much do you think your party would affect how you would vote as a Senator?
As I said earlier in my opening statement, I will be an independent voice in the senate. I won't blindly vote for bills just because other members the Federalist Party support them. My votes will not be influenced by the party.

> Wxtransit to Jimmy7812: Why did you support LouisvilleThunder in the April Senate election?
I simply did not agree with the platform Wells campaigned on. However, I would like to point out this race isn’t about LouisvilleThunder at all. It is about who would be better in the Senate, myself or Not_Madigan.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »

Thank you for your responses, candidates! We will now move on to round three of the debate!

Candidates, you have 48 hours to carry out the following tasks!
I will be willing to give candidates an extension within reason if they need it.

Task 1 - Follow-up questions:
The candidates are encouraged to answer their follow-up question:
> For Jimmy7812: In your response to Pericles' question about deficit reduction you said that people and corporations should pay "the taxes they are supposed to." What exact changes in the tax rates are you advocating for? You also say that those making under $250,000 will not see a tax increase. Why draw the line at $250,000?
> For Not_Madigan: In your response to the question about Korea, you said you wanted the whole of North Korea to be under PRK control. However, it seems unlikely that China would agree to the idea of having an Atlasian ally on its border unless forced to by overwhelming military force. What cost would you be willing to pay to achieve this goal? Would you support increasing military spending to help achieve this, even if it widens the deficit?

Task 2 - Rebuttals:
The candidates are encouraged to respond to their opponent's arguments. The candidates are encouraged to discuss back and forth as much as they want.

Task 3 - Closing statements:
The candidates are encouraged to make their closing statements.

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 07:18:09 PM »

Follow-Up Question

Well, the cost I'm willing to pay to help the North Korean people and our Allies is continuing to fight with them as long as the Chinese are threatening their sovereignty, because that's what we owe our allies, to come to their aid and defend them for as long as it's required.  However, I do believe the Chinese will be willing to come to the table on yielding North Korea because of recent developments.  After the recent battle of Singhung County, the Path to the Heart of Loyalist Korea lies wide open to us and our Allies' forces, in addition to the naval battle of Bohai, which resulted in the shattering of the Chinese North Sea Fleet, ending the possibility of a Chinese landing at Nampo and freeing our garrison in Pyongyang to go to the front.  Each day we continue fighting Atlasia and her Allies continue to show our sheer military superiority over the Chinese, on Land, Sea, and Air we simply have them outmatched, and I believe they'll be willing to give up soon enough.  With that said, I don't believe we need an increase in military spending, however, we could transfer some of the funds from maintaining older weapons systems to procuring modern weapons, rather than just cutting that spending from the budget completely, and I'd be willing to consider such an option in the Senate. 

So in conclusion, I do believe the Chinese are simply outmatched, and will eventually come to realize this in the coming weeks, and come to the table and bring a peace to the Korean peninsula that allows the North Korean people to finally be free.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 03:54:03 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2018, 05:41:35 PM by Jimmy7812 »

> For Jimmy7812: In your response to Pericles' question about deficit reduction you said that people and corporations should pay "the taxes they are supposed to." What exact changes in the tax rates are you advocating for? You also say that those making under $250,000 will not see a tax increase. Why draw the line at $250,000?

My tax reform proposal calls for 8 different income tax brackets with rates around:

$0 - $24,999              - 0%
$25,000 - $49,999     - 15%
$50,000 - $99,999     - 20%
$100,000 - $149,999 - 25%
$150,000 - $249,999 - 30%
$250,000 - $499,999 - 40%
$500,000 - $999,999 - 45%
$1,000,000 +            - 50%

These tax rate percentages will be levied on the full income amount (e.g. a person making an annual income of $1,000,000 will pay $500,000 in income tax). There will be no tax deductions for people making an income of over $250,000 a year, as that is around the income level that separates the upper middle-class and the very wealthy.

My tax reform plan also calls for two different tax brackets for businesses:

Small Business Tax rate: 10%
Corporate Tax Rate: 25%

Small businesses will be exempt from paying the Small Business Tax rate for one tax year after they are started. There will be limited deductions for large corporations.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 04:50:52 PM »

Rebuttal on Healthcare

Quote from: Restricted

Jimmy, I don't believe you answered the question.  The question was asking about The Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act, AKA Atlascare.  Now, you seem to be a bit out of depth here and fail to know what this act is, and in addition current Atlasian Healthcare Law, so I suggest you read up on it a bit and try answering again. Though you should know the basics of federal law before running for federal office..
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »

Rebuttal on Healthcare

Jimmy, I don't believe you answered the question.  The question was asking about The Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act, AKA Atlascare.  Now, you seem to be a bit out of depth here and fail to know what this act is, and in addition current Atlasian Healthcare Law, so I suggest you read up on it a bit and try answering again. Though you should know the basics of federal law before running for federal office..
[/center]

My answer shows why I support the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act, as I didn't make that clear in my initial answer.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »

My answer shows why I support the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act, as I didn't make that clear in my initial answer.

My apologies then.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 05:44:14 PM »

Rebuttal on Follow Up Question on Taxes

Jimmy, I believe there's an inconsistency here.  Now first, let me get the current Income Tax Rates from the Budget for Fiscal Year 2018.

Now there are two tax rates I want everyone to look at specifically. First, from Jimmy's Proposal:  $150,000 - $249,999 - 30%.  Second, this current tax rate:  130K-210K  28%.  Under Jimmy's proposal, people who make between $150,000 - $210,000 would receive a tax increase of 2% from the current law, a clear contradiction with Jimmy's statement that all tax increases would affect those above $250,000.  Would you like to explain this Jimmy?   Is your statement on tax increases only affecting those above $250K just an outright lie?
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 06:04:53 PM »

Rebuttal on Follow Up Question on Taxes
Now there are two tax rates I want everyone to look at specifically. First, from Jimmy's Proposal:  $150,000 - $249,999 - 30%.  Second, this current tax rate:  130K-210K  28%.  Under Jimmy's proposal, people who make between $150,000 - $210,000 would receive a tax increase of 2% from the current law, a clear contradiction with Jimmy's statement that all tax increases would affect those above $250,000.  Would you like to explain this Jimmy?   Is your statement on tax increases only affecting those above $250K just an outright lie?

The rates in my tax reform proposal are rounded to numbers divisible by five. In my proposal, those making $150,000 - $249,999 will pay a tax rate around 30%, which includes the current tax rate of 28% when rounded. The different tax rates are not the final rates, and all tax rates will all be decreased to the lowest level possible for those making under $250,000. Those making $150,000 - $249,999 will not pay no more than 28% when I introduce the official plan if I'm elected to the Senate. So my statement I made on tax increases only affecting those above $250K is not false.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 06:16:11 PM »

The rates in my tax reform proposal are rounded to numbers divisible by five. In my proposal, those making $150,000 - $249,999 will pay a tax rate around 30%, which includes the current tax rate of 28% when rounded. The different tax rates are not the final rates, and all tax rates will all be decreased to the lowest level possible for those making under $250,000. Those making $150,000 - $249,999 will not pay no more than 28% when I introduce the official plan if I'm elected to the Senate. So my statement I made on tax increases only affecting those above $250K is not false.

I see, even though I don't believe that was the initial statement of your plan,
My argument is moot then.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »

For the record, both candidates have extensions.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 05:59:59 PM »

Thank you thumb21 for moderating this debate and for Not_Madigan for taking part in it.

If elected, every citizen would benefit from me being their senator. My policies will result in economic growth and more opportunities for higher paying jobs. I will fight to give citizens and regions more freedom. I will support bills that will improve healthcare and education. Our infrastructure will be updated and modernized, which will create jobs and a safer future. I have a plan that will reduce our ever-expanding deficit. Part of that plan is tax reform which will reduces taxes on the poor and middle-class, and makes sure the rich and wealthy pay a fair amount. Our environment will be protected and action will be taken to prevent climate change. I am ready to take action in the Senate to end the North Korean crisis, so we can finally end this war. I support a noninterventionist foreign policy, so we don’t get stuck in future conflicts.

My record in the assembly and work as a regular citizen shows how I am dedicated to improving Lincoln and Atlasia as a whole. I will continue to do this if I’m elected to the Senate to represent Lincoln. I am going to be an independent voice in the Senate, whose votes will not be controlled by my party. I will work with Senators from all parties, so I can fight to improve the lives of all citizens.

I hope you choose me, regardless of party, so we can all Make Lincoln Great Again! Thank you.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 06:34:23 PM »

Closing Statement

Well Lincoln, the Debate is done.  Jimmy and Myself have answered every one of your questions, and Jimmy's earned my respect, and I commend him for a good debate.  However, there's still one clear difference between him and myself.  On each of the questions, he talked about what he would do in the Senate, while I talked about what I've done and will continue to do in the Senate.  That's the difference, I've got a strong record of fighting for the people of Lincoln in the Senate.  I've approved fair trade deals for the Atlasian Worker.  Supported the Paygo resolution in the Senate and opposing unfunded bills to help reduce the deficit.  Expanded upon Atlascare's improvement of Healthcare with the Right to Try, Health Through Prevention, Cheaper Medicine for The Poors, and Care for Veterans Acts.  Protected the Environment with the Environmental Regulations Act and Fairness to Workers Act.  Eliminated numbers of needless regulations with the numerous "Dumb Regulations Acts."  I've supported personal liberty with the Religious Freedom Amplification Act, and the Reforming Criminal Law Act.  I supported the Censure Resolution in the Senate in order to help reform our Government and stop corruption.  Finally, I've voted on every single piece of Legislation and Amendment that has came up for a vote during my term, and I will continue to do that to make sure Lincoln's voice in the Senate is strong and always heard.

So, my fellow Lincolnites and Atlasians.  When you all go to vote on the 22nd, remember the record of success and reform I've built throughout my first term, and that I'll never stop fighting for you.

Thank you to thumb21 for moderating this debate and Jimmy7812 for participating in it, and thank you to all those who have watched.  Thank you all and Dave Bless Lincoln and Atlasia!
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »

Thank you candidates for your concluding statements and your participation in this debate! Good luck in the election!

This concludes the debate, if you have any comments, go to the commentary thread:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=292900.0
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies