Are lesbians more left wing then gay males?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:11:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are lesbians more left wing then gay males?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are lesbians more left wing then gay males?  (Read 1614 times)
NewEnglandRepublican
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2018, 05:41:25 PM »

Wonder
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:44:57 PM »

The Female vote in General is more left wing than the Male Vote so probably
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 06:30:43 PM »

I agree.  I would assume lesbians are more left wing than gays.  I also assumed this would be easy to find, and I was wrong.  Perhaps my Google Fu is weak this morning (I just woke up, it's morning to me damn it!).
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 06:34:18 PM »

I've never met a log cabin Republican woman. Anecdotal but...
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 06:35:35 PM »

Yes, but there are definitely conservative lesbians out there, many of them in police work.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 06:46:05 PM »

I have found my lesbian friends (2) are more left wing in terms of immigration policy.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »

I would think so, just by virtue of women being more Democratic friendly in general. But there is (allegedly) Kay Ivey now. So there's at least one.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 08:39:14 PM »

I only know one lesbian and she’s conservative but might also be bi. Gay guys probably skew one way or another based on trope. Like bears and tops are definitely more republican than twinks and bottoms
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 08:44:43 PM »

*than
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 09:05:35 PM »

I honestly can't tell with the people I know. I think the experience of being an LGBT woman could possibly lead to more socially liberal positions, or perhaps a stronger, unwavering lean on stuff, but I don't know if that is ubiquitous. The best example I can think of is the wife of a friend who got married last year, she is a white college educated (post-grad with a JD, iirc) lawyer who is a lesbian, and I'd say she is left of center on most things but a rabid leftie on certain social issues. Although I could easily see her supporting single payer and higher taxes on the wealthy. This isn't all that different from straight women of similar professions or education, though.

Other than that though, I don't always talk enough politics to gauge with everyone. I don't think it would be fair to say more left-wing across the board, though. It might just apply to certain issues.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 09:11:02 PM »

This is probably the right answer.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 10:07:55 PM »

I only know one lesbian and she’s conservative but might also be bi. Gay guys probably skew one way or another based on trope. Like bears and tops are definitely more republican than twinks and bottoms
wtf
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 10:34:12 PM »

I'd imagine this. Is there a Milo like figure for lesbians? (Not saying Milo is representative of gay conservatives either.)

The ones I find interesting are Transsexual conservatives. Caitlin Jenner, I suppose.  I've known very few of them and they were in large part pretty strongly a left wing group, though this is of course anecdotal. The only exception was an open and admitted nazi, oddly enough.
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 10:44:12 PM »

I have never met a conservative lesbian. Being from the south, a majority of the gays I know are conservative.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 10:49:56 PM »

I'd imagine this. Is there a Milo like figure for lesbians? (Not saying Milo is representative of gay conservatives either.)

The ones I find interesting are Transsexual conservatives. Caitlin Jenner, I suppose.  I've known very few of them and they were in large part pretty strongly a left wing group, though this is of course anecdotal. The only exception was an open and admitted nazi, oddly enough.
Tammy Bruce is a more PG-13 version of Milo.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 10:50:10 PM »

As a gay man in Southeast Missouri, I would say about half of gay men I know are Republican whereas maybe one or two lesbians I know are conservative. Not a great sample but I would guess that gay men skew more conservative than lesbians.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 11:08:01 PM »

I dearly hope someone has done a thesis on investigating this.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 11:28:11 PM »

There are certain segments of male gay culture that seems to be quite materialistic, which I guess in isolation is a factor at least somewhat associated with being right wing.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 11:30:32 PM »

I dearly hope someone has done a thesis on investigating this.

The quoted poster is probably quite ignorant on lgbtq issues, but I agree Tongue
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 11:34:06 PM »

How many bears and twinks are you hanging around with to know this?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 11:34:48 PM »

Likely, but there is probably less gap between lesbians and gay males, than between straight men and straight women.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 11:51:01 PM »

Tops are definitely not more likely to be Republican. I'm sure bears are but who needs them anyways?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 12:10:44 AM »

Imo tops are more socially conservative while bottoms are more fiscally conservative
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 01:29:34 AM »

Power Bottoms were a notorious swing demographic starting in the 1950’s and were crucial to powering GOP victories in the 1960’s and 70’s. Starting in 1980 with the Reagan Revolution though this group felt alienated by the increasing overt power of the religious right but not in a fun way. Coupled with this was the fact that power bottoms became increasingly college educated, while collar, and urbanized. These were all demographics that the GOP have lost ground with and as a result they became more Democratic.

Up until 2016, power bottoms were a solid thrusting force for the Democratic Party to rely on. However Donald Trump was able to make some appeal to this group with his tougher rhetoric on Law and order/immigration and swayed some of them to his coalition. A lot of variables could make or break this group but the key will be in the House races this year. MN-1, NV-3, and NH-1 all have strong concentrations of power bottoms and could break their down-ballot Dem preference if they feel as though Donald Trump has delivered for them.

Long term however I expect this group to become a swing demographic. I believe that the macroeconomic trends will cause a realignment sometime in the 2020’s which will make white collar urbanized power bottoms a group negatively affected by increased tax rates from a Bernie Sanders style Democratic Party. With that you’ll see a slow R trend culminating in current trends we’re seeing right now with Trump’s law and order platform and later on they’ll be pushed even harder R from Bernie style democrats alienating a segment of them into the GOP coalition.

Beautiful.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 02:28:14 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2018, 02:39:10 AM by ProudModerate2 »

Twinks and Bottoms and Bears, Oh my!

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies