Speech From Arlington, VA.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:19:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Speech From Arlington, VA.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Speech From Arlington, VA.  (Read 1202 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2005, 08:16:23 PM »

(Crowd starts off with random cheers as I walk to the podium.  Slowly, one rythmic cheer accends from the crowd... "Soulty Now!")

Thank you.  Thank you.

I would just like to correct you first.  It's "The People Now".

(crowd roars)

When the last Presidetial election ended, I sincerly hoped that this country might be able to come together to settle our differences.  I hoped that the personal attacks and partisan strifes that had torn this country apart woudl be settled.  I hoped that real leadership would emerge to steer this country back on track.  I praise President Siege for his efforts, but I think more is still needed to mend the wounds of our great nation and so I stand before you today to ask you to join me in making the greatest nation in the world even greater.

It is time for a change.  A change of hands and a change of attitude in the federal government and the leadership of our nation.  Much has changed in the past four years, but we suffer from many of the same problems.  The deficit still threatens not only the fiscal stablility of this country, but also the social programs that so many of our citizens count on to survive.  Many workers who once counted on $5.15 an hour have seen their saleries cut in the wake of what is perhaps the most unjust supreme court decision in our nations recent history.  Libertarians in congress have managed, to the detriment of millions of our citizens, to divorce any concept of social justice from the day-to-day activities of our government. 

Internationally, countries that we once considered friends are now our bitter enemies.  We might disagree with our friends, but we should strive never to be disagreeable with them.  Terrorism still threatens our allies, economy and our very lives.  And the nuclear threat of Iran and North Korea has not lessened.

With in our boarders, the social sins of racism, abortion, sexism, intollerance, irresponsability and apathy still tear away at the heart of our nation.  We must work to stop these ills in their tracks, in our cities, our towns and our homes.

I ask you again, please join me.  Today is the day that we must join hands to build a better foundation for our country.  Now is the time for us to send a message accross the river, a message hope, love, strength and oppertunity.

Now is also the time that I would like to intruduce someone to you all.  This man is a true leader, patriot and humanitarian.  He will, I hope, also be my friend, confidant and second in command for the next four years.  Virginia, you know him well... please, welcome...

Frodo.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 08:18:06 PM »

An excellent VP choice.  You won't take Emsworth's spot on my ballot but you have moved up a few preferences. Smiley
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 08:19:07 PM »

Great choice! You definitely have moved up on my preference list.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 08:38:38 PM »

Great Choice!!
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 08:42:15 PM »

Nice choice.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 08:43:03 PM »

A truly fantastic choice.  It will be a very tough choice who gets first preference, but you are one of the top two. Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 09:47:26 PM »

Good choice.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 11:13:30 PM »

Moved you down at least one spot on my list. Sad
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 01:56:09 AM »

Soulty, you know I have a generally high regard for you, and your choice of vice president really shows your acceptance to reach across the aisle; that makes you so much more commendable in my opinion than most anyone out there!
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 02:02:03 PM »

Soulty, you know I have a generally high regard for you, and your choice of vice president really shows your acceptance to reach across the aisle; that makes you so much more commendable in my opinion than most anyone out there!

Aren't they both in the CDP?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 02:04:30 PM »

I think he is referring to the avatar colors, in that in real life Supersoulty is a Republican, while I am a Democrat. 
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 02:12:12 PM »

I think he is referring to the avatar colors, in that in real life Supersoulty is a Republican, while I am a Democrat. 

I shoulda figured that.  No matter how far back we have put the AFDNC and AFRNC in our collective memories, the avatar colors still rear up their ugly heads again.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 03:32:14 PM »

I would like to first express my heart-felt gratitude to Mr. Supersoulty for having selected me as his vice-presidential candidate, and to all those who recommended me to him, seeing me as qualified enough to serve in the second-most powerful office in Atlasia.  As I never had such an exalted opinion of myself, I am humbled by the trust and confidence placed in me.  I can only hope that I do not let any of you down.  

We face many challenges in this age of transnational terrorism, not least of which is our moral obligation to pass down to future generations a world better than we had found it.  To deal with the threat of terrorism, we must fight not just with the sword, the spear, and the shield, but also lend a helping hand to those most susceptible to Islamic extremism and terrorism -namely, the impoverished and the downtrodden.  We must, in addition to pursuing the enemy by means of our military and intelligence services, also lessen our reliance on oil, and other fossil fuels by seeking alternatives so as to achieve energy independence, as well as wage a global war on poverty and corruption in conjunction with our allies in the developed world, including the European Union and Japan, among others.  

We cannot successfully prosecute a war with no clear end if we are to be held hostage to the very chain that binds us to the very forces that have created the monster that we have had to contend with since the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.  This chain is the 'black gold' that so alarmingly dominates our society and world economy, that if there are any serious disruptions in its flow to our shores be it through natural disaster or a terrorist attack, it could force us to our knees.  This state of affairs is intolerable, and one that cannot be solved simply by expanding domestic production of fossil fuels.  We must ultimately transition ourselves to a society that is based primarily on hydrogen fuel-cell technology.  Then, and only then, can we achieve true energy independence.  Such an accomplishment cannot be achieved overnight, and as such we should invest over the short and medium-term in clean coal technology, expand the development of nuclear power plants, and offer tax incentives for automakers to develop hybrid vehicles, while gradually replacing the infrastructure of oil and natural gas refineries, pipelines, and gas stations with technology more amenable to hydrogen in preparation for the day when fossil fuels like oil will no longer be kings of energy production.

We must also work with our allies in Europe, Australia, and Japan in waging a global war on poverty.  It is no secret that the many evils we have encountered over the course of the 20th century -totalitarian ideologies like fascism, Nazism, Communism, and now Islamic terrorism- took root and flourished among those who were most susceptible to their appeal: the impoverished.  If there is one commonality that each of these ideologies share, it is their ability to exploit despair born of poverty and despotism.  While we cannot (and should not) run Third World countries directly, we can however help them develop public health care systems to better deal with such menaces like HIV-AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, and Avian influenza, among others, as well as cut our farm subsidies so Third World farmers will not be at a severe disadvantage when competing with our goods on the world market, encourage the usage and development of genetically-modified foods and seeds that will not be held hostage to drought or floods.  These are just a few of the actions that can be taken to deal with Third World poverty, and in turn drain the swamp so terrorists will find fewer receptive ears to their message of hatred and violence.  

These are the challenges that face our generation, and, God willing, let us be the only generation that will ever have to face them.  We owe it to future generations that the world that will be passed down to them will be freer, safer, and more prosperous -it is our moral imperative.

If we are elected, these objectives will be the primary focus of our administration.  We aim for no less.

God bless you all, and may God save Atlasia.      
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 04:46:59 PM »

Good speech Smiley
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 05:11:58 PM »

I shoulda figured that.  No matter how far back we have put the AFDNC and AFRNC in our collective memories, the avatar colors still rear up their ugly heads again.

I was actually presuming that they are in different parties, being that their PC scores are basically opposite, but apparently they aren't.  (But my thoughts are still the same--commendable and all)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 05:16:46 PM »

I was actually presuming that they are in different parties, being that their PC scores are basically opposite, but apparently they aren't.  (But my thoughts are still the same--commendable and all)
The PC too heavily gauges corporate issues when looking at economics, probably why Supersoulty leans more conservative on economics than social issues on the test.  He is generally more progressive in practice and policy.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 08:54:07 PM »

Great Speech, Frodo!
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 02:10:35 PM »

[OOC: had to work my tail off the past two days, so I'm arriving late]

Great VP choice - and I would know about great VP choices Wink - and excellent speeches! Yay! Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies