Why do people say that Hillary won all three debates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:53:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why do people say that Hillary won all three debates?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why do people say that Hillary won all three debates?  (Read 7883 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 01:33:41 PM »

The debates are like, the last vestiges we've got of a substantial policy discussion. If candidates choose to use their time rallying the troops with burns and zingers, that's they're choice, but I don't think getting rid of that platform would do any good. There are still voters out there who want to hear about policy. Don't take that away just because the media hypes up a grudge match.

Debates are hardly even about policy anymore. And unfortunately, Americans couldn't care less, which is the reason why. Supply and demand.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »

Exit polls also show people thought Hillary won the debates by 50-47 so really margin of error not the shelling many in the media made it out to be. Trump easily won the second debate and even though Clinton likely won the third debate, his "nasty woman" comment was one most Americans agreed with if you are to believe Hillary's favorability numbers
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 10:05:46 PM »

I basically agree with the consensus

Debate 1: Clear Hillary Win (that debate was a trainwreck for Trump)

Debate 2: Close, but I think Trump had the better performance (He needed it badly)

Debate 3: Inconclusive (nobody stood out or made a decisive blow)

"That you be in jail" retort is going to be legendary in political lore (for right or wrong reasons)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 12:19:21 AM »

Stop the revisionist hot takes! They are not backed up by evidence-the polls show that Clinton won all 3 debates and she expanded her poll lead during this period, and the media coverage(which is often more important than initial polls) gave the debates to her. The debates helped Clinton, but their effect was gone by the election because of the Comey letter which erased her debate bounce(without it she'd have won by 4-5 points and the debates would be the obvious turning point in the campaign). This isn't to say she ran a perfect campaign. However, the debates were clearly a Clinton victory and did not contribute to her loss.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »

Stop the revisionist hot takes! They are not backed up by evidence-the polls show that Clinton won all 3 debates and she expanded her poll lead during this period, and the media coverage(which is often more important than initial polls) gave the debates to her. The debates helped Clinton, but their effect was gone by the election because of the Comey letter which erased her debate bounce(without it she'd have won by 4-5 points and the debates would be the obvious turning point in the campaign). This isn't to say she ran a perfect campaign. However, the debates were clearly a Clinton victory and did not contribute to her loss.

Mic drop!
twenty42
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »

Mic drop!

“Because you’d be in jail” was the mic drop of 2016.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2018, 10:57:58 AM »

Clinton won the first debate, the second debate did nothing but shift the focus away from the AH tape, and Trump won the election the night of the third debate.

The reason I say that is that overwhelming majorities of Americans (even a majority of Democrats) oppose late-term abortion, and the way Hillary talked about it, especially the public funding of it, was horrifying to your average American.  This helped Trump expand his WCW margins, pick up a few socially conservative minorities, and stop the bleeding with well-off suburban whites who didn't yet feel that threatened by Hillary.  The media elites didn't realize it then and still don't realize it now, but that's when Trump won the election.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2018, 05:49:52 PM »

Mic drop!

“Because you’d be in jail” was the mic drop of 2016.

Trump's failure to deliver on that (much like everything else he promised) undercuts how "outrageous" that moment was. That one moment still doesn't mean that he won the debate. The fact that it's all anyone talks about from any of Trump's debate performances should be a testament to how abysmally he performed.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 01:11:08 AM »

Because she did win all 3 debates.  Trump only won any of the debates if you absurdly lower his bar and raise her bar of what it means to win the debate.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 09:09:11 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2018, 09:12:13 AM by Cold War Liberal »

She blew Trump out of the water in the first debate

In the second, Trump came off as even more of an unhinged, hotheaded, vindictive a**hole than he usually does. "Because you'd be in jail" played well with the 30% of people who wanted to believe that, but to the other 70% of us, it sounded extremely petulant and uncivilized. Trump lost the debate while Hillary only won in comparison

The third was quite boring; Hillary had the flub on immigration but Trump had the odd spiel about when they "rip babies" out of their mothers at 9 months, which is also known as "birth," and the 2 minute long incomprehensible rant/run-on sentence that was ostensibly about Iran. While he was saying the latter part, I just turned to my (Trump voter) father and said "I have no idea what he's trying to say" and he didn't either. Clinton won this debate too, also only by comparison.

TL;DR: Clinton won the first debate, while Trump lost the other two.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »

In the second, Trump came off as even more of an unhinged, hotheaded, vindictive a**hole than he usually does. "Because you'd be in jail" played well with the 30% of people who wanted to believe that, but to the other 70% of us, it sounded extremely petulant and uncivilized. Trump lost the debate while Hillary only won in comparison

The third was quite boring; Hillary had the flub on immigration but Trump had the odd spiel about when they "rip babies" out of their mothers at 9 months, which is also known as "birth," and the 2 minute long incomprehensible rant/run-on sentence that was ostensibly about Iran. While he was saying the latter part, I just turned to my (Trump voter) father and said "I have no idea what he's trying to say" and he didn't either. Clinton won this debate too, also only by comparison.

In addition to Turmp losing the 3rd debate, I also think Clinton clearly won it.  She had some devastating lines, such as "We got bin Ladin...while you were doing Celebrity Apprentice."
twenty42
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »

Trump didn’t have time to play nice in the second debate. He knew he was walking into the lion’s mouth with the headlines that were swirling over the past couple days, and he raised some pretty salient points about Hillary condemning his words but forgiving Bill’s actions. 2016 wasn’t an election for Queensbury rules...it was dog-eat-dog and Trump was playing to win. Funny how Hillary was allowed to be as vindictive and petulant as she wanted to be, but Trump was a bully when he used the same tactics.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2018, 11:44:41 AM »

Trump didn’t have time to play nice in the second debate. He knew he was walking into the lion’s mouth with the headlines that were swirling over the past couple days, and he raised some pretty salient points about Hillary condemning his words but forgiving Bill’s actions. 2016 wasn’t an election for Queensbury rules...it was dog-eat-dog and Trump was playing to win. Funny how Hillary was allowed to be as vindictive and petulant as she wanted to be, but Trump was a bully when he used the same tactics.

You really think Hillary Clinton was more petulant than Mr. "My mic wasn't working properly/this is so unfair/etc." Trump?
twenty42
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2018, 11:50:50 AM »

You really think Hillary Clinton was more petulant than Mr. "My mic wasn't working properly/this is so unfair/etc." Trump?

“Putin wants you to win because he wants a puppet in the White House.”
“Donald’s taxes would go up too...assuming he couldn’t figure out how to get out of it.”
“It’s really frightening to think that he isn’t going to accept the results of this election.” (Irony at it’s finest on that one, eh?)
“They are what I call the ‘basket of deplorables.’”

And my personal favorite from her past...

“Shame on you, Barack Obama!!”
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2018, 12:12:09 PM »

“Donald’s taxes would go up too...assuming he couldn’t figure out how to get out of it.”
“It’s really frightening to think that he isn’t going to accept the results of this election.” (Irony at it’s finest on that one, eh?)

Putin did want a puppet in the White House, and he got one.  You're forgetting Trump's line right after that - "No you're the puppet!"

Given the fact that he didn't pay taxes for years, how is #2 petulant?  You're also forgetting his response to that - "Such a nasty woman."

I'll go out on a limb and say the basket of deplorables comment was actually the most correct thing she said in the entire campaign.  She was not saying that all Trump supporters were racist, etc.  She said half of them are.  The other half, she said, are concerned about the economy, and we can talk to them, convince them, is what she said.

Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2018, 01:03:51 PM »

Because she did win all 3 debates. Trump only won any of the debates if you absurdly lower his bar and raise her bar of what it means to win the debate.

Correct answer. That reminds me of this.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2018, 01:32:23 PM »

Putin did want a puppet in the White House, and he got one.  You're forgetting Trump's line right after that - "No you're the puppet!"

Given the fact that he didn't pay taxes for years, how is #2 petulant?  You're also forgetting his response to that - "Such a nasty woman."

I'll go out on a limb and say the basket of deplorables comment was actually the most correct thing she said in the entire campaign.  She was not saying that all Trump supporters were racist, etc.  She said half of them are.  The other half, she said, are concerned about the economy, and we can talk to them, convince them, is what she said.

Good rule of thumb - when your sound bites constantly need justification and re-explanation, you’re probably not too good at politics. People tend to make snap judgments on the words that come out of your mouth, and “what they meant/were trying to say” doesn’t really matter. Romney’s “47%” and “binders full of women” gaffes were likely taken out of context as was Al Gore’s invention of the Internet, but perception is reality.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »

Good rule of thumb - when your sound bites constantly need justification and re-explanation, you’re probably not too good at politics. People tend to make snap judgments on the words that come out of your mouth, and “what they meant/were trying to say” doesn’t really matter. Romney’s “47%” and “binders full of women” gaffes were likely taken out of context as was Al Gore’s invention of the Internet, but perception is reality.

Sure, but do you really think "such a nasty woman" and "No, you're the puppet!" were good sound bites?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2018, 01:41:35 PM »

And I didn't mean that basket of deplorables didn't cost her politically.  It did.  But I'm just saying her central thesis really wasn't wrong.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2018, 06:10:53 PM »

"Basket of Deplorables" was actually a defense of the average Trump voter too. She was suggesting that the David Dukes, Richard Spencers, and Milo Yiannopoulos' that support Trump should not be conflated with the people who are supporting Trump for more genuine, less hateful reasons. If anything she was probably wrong, because those people enable the "deplorables" and blur the line between them even more. Either way, it wasn't nearly as offensive as it should have been taken, but Clinton wasn't able to afford to even slightly offend anyone, unlike Trump.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »

Hillary was actually being very generous in her basket of deplorables remark by only calling 50% of Trump supporters deplorables. The true number is much higher (see my sig.)
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »

I actually think Trump won all 3 debates.

In Debate I Trump did enough to show he could hold his own in a debate with her. The bar was so low in the first debate for him that he exceeded expectations even if she technically may have done better on points.

Trump clearly won Debate II. Hillary had no rebuttal for the accusations about Bill and also she had weak answers about her server. Trump may have played to his base a lot in the debate but he still won the debate.

I think the third debate was actually Trump's weakest performance but that he still managed to win it because of the expectations game. Hillary never got a knockout punch against a candidate with 0 political experience in 3 debates and Trump held his own which is why he won similar to Bush vs. Gore in 2000 where Gore was much more well versed on policy matters.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2018, 11:45:22 PM »

In Debate I Trump did enough to show he could hold his own in a debate with her. The bar was so low in the first debate for him that he exceeded expectations even if she technically may have done better on points.

Trump clearly won Debate II. Hillary had no rebuttal for the accusations about Bill and also she had weak answers about her server. Trump may have played to his base a lot in the debate but he still won the debate.

I think the third debate was actually Trump's weakest performance but that he still managed to win it because of the expectations game. Hillary never got a knockout punch against a candidate with 0 political experience in 3 debates and Trump held his own which is why he won similar to Bush vs. Gore in 2000 where Gore was much more well versed on policy matters.

Most of this is just utterly, totally false.  Why did Hillary gain a significant amount in the polls after the first debate, then?

And seriously, watch the 3rd debate again.  The lines about Trump thinking all of these various things were rigged against him, including the Emmy awards (which he replied "should have gotten one" during her answer), plus him repeatedly saying "Wrong!" during her answers...seriously, you have to be living on a completely different planet to think he won the 3rd debate.  It was a knockout punch for Hillary.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »

The biggest mystery of the second debate was how the hell did Hillary expect to get away with using sexual morality as a campaign device? It was as if she totally forgot that her husband was at the front and center of the biggest sex scandal in American history. She probably would've had a better debate performance if she left the Access Hollywood tape alone. She gave Trump a perfect opening to call her out on hypocrisy, which gave him a clear win in the debate.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2018, 09:36:57 PM »

The biggest mystery of the second debate was how the hell did Hillary expect to get away with using sexual morality as a campaign device? It was as if she totally forgot that her husband was at the front and center of the biggest sex scandal in American history. She probably would've had a better debate performance if she left the Access Hollywood tape alone. She gave Trump a perfect opening to call her out on hypocrisy, which gave him a clear win in the debate.
Spot on!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies