Queen Elizabeth's successor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:23:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Queen Elizabeth's successor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Who will succeed her to the throne?
Prince Charles
Prince William
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth's successor  (Read 9461 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2022, 02:27:39 PM »

Somehow I feel like Charles is going to die before her. Definitely think she should hand over the crown to Charles.

Ok, this aged very poorly in a few short months. I gladly take the mockery.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2022, 03:14:11 PM »

That's confirmed. William has become Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge. Cornwall was one of his father's titles that was deactivated when he became King.

The title of Duke of Cornwall passes immediately to the monarch's eldest living son. The title of Prince of Wales is bestowed at the discretion of the monarch, not automatically. We can expect William to be made Prince of Wales probably after the mourning period and Charles' coronation to give him his moment in the spotlight.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2022, 04:21:00 PM »

That's confirmed. William has become Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge. Cornwall was one of his father's titles that was deactivated when he became King.

The title of Duke of Cornwall passes immediately to the monarch's eldest living son. The title of Prince of Wales is bestowed at the discretion of the monarch, not automatically. We can expect William to be made Prince of Wales probably after the mourning period and Charles' coronation to give him his moment in the spotlight.

If Charles keeps to the 1910 accession's timetable for the PoW since the heir-apparent isn't a kid this time, William gets the title 5 wks. after the mourning period (so in late Oct.) but isn't invested at Caernarfon 'til 3 wks. after the coronation.
Plankton5165

P
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2022, 05:52:34 PM »

Charles III is the first monarch to begin his reign in the 21st century and the 3rd millennium.

He's 73 years old.

What's ironic is that Ivana Trump and Olivia Newton-John both died at 73.

If Charles III were to have the exact same lifespan as ON-J in days (the latter thought her last few as gifts), then Prince William would take the throne next month!

I have a counselor who is 73 years old as well! (born in 1948)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2022, 07:23:21 PM »

I fully expect Prince Harry and Meaghan Markle to lose their last remaining royal title (Duke and Duchess of Sussex, respectively) in short order, assuming they don't give it up themselves. 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2022, 08:32:55 PM »

England has had fewer monarchs since 1066 than the US has had presidents since 1822.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2022, 09:12:01 PM »

England has had fewer monarchs since 1066 than the US has had presidents since 1822.

Makes sense. Presidents serve between 4 and 8 years, typically, and quite a few have served less than 4 years and just one (FDR) has served more. Whereas kings/queens, it's a lifetime job and it's, what, 40 years, 50 years, 60 years, 70 in Queen Elizabeth's case, much of the time?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2022, 02:56:58 AM »

I fully expect Prince Harry and Meaghan Markle to lose their last remaining royal title (Duke and Duchess of Sussex, respectively) in short order, assuming they don't give it up themselves. 

I’m not sure about that - it would risk making Charles a highly political figure from day one (assumption at the moment is that he’ll try and tamp down his strong opinions for the time being).

If anyone is getting their title revoked, it’s the Duke of York.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2022, 03:58:54 AM »

I’m not sure about that - it would risk making Charles a highly political figure from day one (assumption at the moment is that he’ll try and tamp down his strong opinions for the time being).

If anyone is getting their title revoked, it’s the Duke of York.

Agreed. But I don't think he will do something like that in the near future. Maybe after the coronation but I doubt he will take actions like this before that. It would be a major distraction.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2022, 04:47:49 AM »

Charles lost that because of cheating on Princess Di with Camilla.

lmao, by this standard you would disqualify almost every previous King
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2022, 12:18:01 PM »

Decades of gossip about Charles & not even 24 hours in, he shoots the idea of abdication down, presumably just like his mom taught him to:

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2022, 12:31:58 PM »

Decades of gossip about Charles & not even 24 hours in, he shoots the idea of abdication down, presumably just like his mom taught him to:

It seems as if Charles is planning to  slim down the " Pomp " while keeping the main consitutional roles intact.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2022, 01:21:39 PM »

If Charles keeps to the 1910 accession's timetable for the PoW since the heir-apparent isn't a kid this time, William gets the title 5 wks. after the mourning period (so in late Oct.) but isn't invested at Caernarfon 'til 3 wks. after the coronation.

Well, so much for that:

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2022, 04:23:29 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2022, 05:35:05 PM by CumbrianLefty »

Also made a point of mentioning his younger son and his spouse.

He isn't likely to disown them however much many in our media desire it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2022, 05:20:50 PM »

Also made a point of mentioning his younger son and her spouse.

Still worth pointing out he only mentioned them (minus their royal title) as 'Harry and Meaghan', not 'Prince Harry and Princess Meaghan'.   
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2022, 05:32:54 PM »

Also made a point of mentioning his younger son and her spouse.

Still worth pointing out he only mentioned them (minus their royal title) as 'Harry and Meaghan', not 'Prince Harry and Princess Meaghan'.   

He initially referred to William & Catherine as such, then announced their new titles. Harry & Meghan don't have new titles (& in any event, he would've referred to them as the Duke & Duchess of Sussex, not as "Prince Harry & Princess Meghan").
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2022, 07:26:16 PM »

I know part of the issue is with Charles age but Charles is 73 because his mom lived as long as the Queen mom, Bush W, Clinton, Gore were all born in 1946, too so alot of people want Prince William that's why Scotland, Australia and Jamaica want independence but Charles is prep for his coronation and he will get a lift just like our Prez don't get a Honeymoon after the are Elected in Nov they get the honeymoon in their inauguration, and Charles is gonna have a coronation

Parliament said long live the King and guess what we can live to 100 too

If he lives to 100 he is gonna be in our lives to 2050
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2022, 10:03:54 PM »

Well, since this thread was started, QE2 was succeeded by President Sandra Mason of Barbados.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2022, 03:46:55 AM »

Well, since this thread was started, QE2 was succeeded by President Sandra Mason of Barbados.

As was announced would happen a year or two ago.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2022, 11:35:05 AM »

Why is there a 'Prince and Princess of Wales' royal title (and designated heir to the throne), but not an equivalent for Scotland?  I know 'Prince and Princess of Scotland' sounds strange at first, but I am sure it that novelty will wear off over time. 
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2022, 12:06:57 PM »

Why is there a 'Prince and Princess of Wales' royal title (and designated heir to the throne), but not an equivalent for Scotland?  I know 'Prince and Princess of Scotland' sounds strange at first, but I am sure it that novelty will wear off over time. 

Scotland was a kingdom (before it united with England to become Great Britain in 1707), while Wales is a principality.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2022, 01:15:35 PM »

As Lord Halifax notes, Wales was a principality, and so was ruled by a Prince. After England and Wales were unified into a single kingdom, the title of Prince of Wales was revived as a title subservient to the King of England & Wales.

When the England and Scottish crowns were unified, the two kingdoms were ruled as one. William, as heir to the British crown, does hold the title of Prince and Steward of Scotland, but this is subsidiary to his other Scottish titles, most notably Duke of Rothesay, and the much cooler Lord of the Isles, which comes from a 12th-15th century domain comprised of the Hebridean Isles, that mostly fell under the MacDonald lordship:
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2022, 02:42:06 PM »

Charles III is the first monarch to begin his reign in the 21st century and the 3rd millennium.

He's 73 years old.

What's ironic is that Ivana Trump and Olivia Newton-John both died at 73.

If Charles III were to have the exact same lifespan as ON-J in days (the latter thought her last few as gifts), then Prince William would take the throne next month!

I have a counselor who is 73 years old as well! (born in 1948)
That’s not what irony is.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2022, 03:41:58 PM »

There is exactly that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Scotland
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2022, 05:12:36 AM »

As Lord Halifax notes, Wales was a principality, and so was ruled by a Prince. After England and Wales were unified into a single kingdom, the title of Prince of Wales was revived as a title subservient to the King of England & Wales.

When the England and Scottish crowns were unified, the two kingdoms were ruled as one. William, as heir to the British crown, does hold the title of Prince and Steward of Scotland, but this is subsidiary to his other Scottish titles, most notably Duke of Rothesay, and the much cooler Lord of the Isles, which comes from a 12th-15th century domain comprised of the Hebridean Isles, that mostly fell under the MacDonald lordship:

And in some respects, the present day IoM is the final remnant of this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies