GOP FAIL: Farm/Welfare "reform" bill fails in house due to dems/freedom caucus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 06:49:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP FAIL: Farm/Welfare "reform" bill fails in house due to dems/freedom caucus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GOP FAIL: Farm/Welfare "reform" bill fails in house due to dems/freedom caucus  (Read 2597 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2018, 11:09:34 AM »

Facing universal Democratic opposition and opposition from a small number of moderates and some freedom caucus members who wanted a vote on the Goodlatte immigration bill beforehand, the house has just rejected, on a vote of 198-213, the farm bill, which was amended beforehand to require work requirements for SNAP.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
https://newrepublic.com/article/148461/farm-bill-everything-thats-wrong-congress
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/18/politics/farm-bill-house-agriculture-food-stamps-snap/index.html
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 11:18:28 AM »

i'm glad this thing failed.i'm not entirely sure i like how it failed.but i'll take it
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »

Thank you, ideologically pure House Freedom members!!!
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »

Vote summary: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2018/roll205.xml

Before anyone freaks, Ryan (WI) voted No for procedural reasons (allows him to bring up the bill for a re-vote at some later time)
UncleSam

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »

Can a Democrat explain to me why a work requirement to use social services isn’t just common sense. If you were personally paying a homeless person to eat wouldn’t you want that person to make an effort to get out of their situation before writing a blank check? That just seems obvious to me. I’m not talking about cutting benefits (indeed I would be fine with reinvesting the savings from a work requirement back into social programs) but it is insane to me that one of the major parties opposes having any incentive to not be homeless.

The farm bill failing is also sad, could someone explain to me why Dems oppose that as well? I really don’t get Dem opposition to this at all. Couldn’t give less of a sh**t what the Freedom Caucus thinks.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 01:00:30 PM »

Before anyone freaks, Ryan (WI) voted No for procedural reasons (allows him to bring up the bill for a re-vote at some later time)

Thanks, Wulfric, I was about to freak.
Hollywood756
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 01:01:20 PM »

Can a Democrat explain to me why a work requirement to use social services isn’t just common sense.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/05/facts-on-food-stamp-work-requirements/

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

There's one reason.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

There's another. Basically, I think that we need an impenetrable safety net- that a safety net you can be legislated out of is no safety net at all. However, we already have work requirements on SNAP, and making them more stringent isn't about the budget, it's about the capitalist meritocracy narrative that republicans are feeding their base.

We need to adjust to a simple fact: work is no longer the thing that defines your dignity as a person.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »

Can a Democrat explain to me why a work requirement to use social services isn’t just common sense. If you were personally paying a homeless person to eat wouldn’t you want that person to make an effort to get out of their situation before writing a blank check? That just seems obvious to me. I’m not talking about cutting benefits (indeed I would be fine with reinvesting the savings from a work requirement back into social programs) but it is insane to me that one of the major parties opposes having any incentive to not be homeless.

The farm bill failing is also sad, could someone explain to me why Dems oppose that as well? I really don’t get Dem opposition to this at all. Couldn’t give less of a sh**t what the Freedom Caucus thinks.

Because finding jobs is hard? Maybe the government could guarantee a neo-CCC-style job for all assistance recipients or something, as long as reasonable exceptions were made for disabled, caregivers, etc.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »

Okay I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but why is there a rule that the majority leader / speaker has to vote against something in order for it to be brought up again? I remember the same thing happened with a lot of Senate bills and Reid always was a no vote so that it could be brought up again.
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 01:09:02 PM »

Glad it failed. A lot of the focus has been on food stamps, but there was a lot of other terrible sh*t encased within it. Rollback of environmental regulations, such as oversight of pesticides, regulations on factory farms, and the Endangered Species Act...you name it.
Hollywood756
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 01:09:34 PM »

Okay I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but why is there a rule that the majority leader / speaker has to vote against something in order for it to be brought up again? I remember the same thing happened with a lot of Senate bills and Reid always was a no vote so that it could be brought up again.

Take it up with Robert. The rule is that you must vote on the winning side of a vote (not a "no" vote,  strictly speaking, but this is usually only relevant when a speakers bill has failed to pass and he must vote no) to be able to call it back up for reconsideration. I would assume that it is the rule so that a person who voted on the losing side cannot waste a bunch of time on reconsiderations just to delay.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »

Because families that receive SNAP benefits included nearly 20 million children as of 2017, and making sure those children don't go hungry is the highest priority. The work requirements in this bill would apply to families with children, and that puts those children in unacceptable risk of going hungry through no fault of their own.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 02:12:27 PM »

Cheap labor is drying up...so you Republicans are trying to increase the labor supply by making all kinds of rules and regulations that whips people into working so business can keep wages low.

People have a right to eat.  You do not, nor does the government, have the right to peoples labor or time.  People don’t work for plenty of reasons and like a parent feeding a 17yo physically capable child as per the law...society has to feed the vagrants and everyone else.  And we should do so with a smile.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »

The deal with the farm bill is that you guys leave food stamps and certain core social safety programs alone and in return you get your farm bill.  If you guys try to gut food stamps and related social safety net programs, then that's more than enough reason to oppose any farm bill you offer regardless of any other merits it may or may not have.  And if anyone thinks this sounds like holding the farm bill hostage, all I can say in response is: "Yeah, pretty much.  Not as fun when the shoe's on the other foot, is it?"
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 02:16:22 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2018, 02:22:01 PM by Speaker Scott🦋 »

There should be no work requirements unless jobs are guaranteed, but that would be anti-capitalist.

Cheap labor is drying up...so you Republicans are trying to increase the labor supply by making all kinds of rules and regulations that whips people into working so business can keep wages low.

People have a right to eat.  You do not, nor does the government, have the right to peoples labor or time.  People don’t work for plenty of reasons and like a parent feeding a 17yo physically capable child as per the law...society has to feed the vagrants and everyone else.  And we should do so with a smile.

Also this.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 02:18:27 PM »

The GOP is a joke
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2018, 11:58:57 PM by pbrower2a »

Handicapped people. People in distressed areas. Administration of work requirements involves a bureaucratic mess that will cost more money than it is worth.

SNAP is anything but a blank check. It allows people to eat healthier than otherwise.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »

Handicapped people. People in distressed areas. Administration of work requirements involves a bureaucratic mess that will cost more money than it is worth.

SNAP is anything but a blank check. It allows people to eat healthier than otherwise.

Thank you. I can't believe no one mentioned disabilities. There are many people who are legally disabled and cannot work. They still deserve to eat.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 04:04:50 PM »

And yet the GOP wonders why poor people think they can't afford to have more children (future laborers).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »

The freedom caucus saved us from some of Obama's terrible grand compromises.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »

Thank you. I can't believe no one mentioned disabilities. There are many people who are legally disabled and cannot work. They still deserve to eat.

Or can work only for poverty pay, as I do.

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »

Republicans have been better at imploding major bills than passing them even with a trifecta. Talk about pissing away a golden opportunity.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »

THis is my super woke, makes you think comment of the day:

The sooner you realize our society... our civilization... all of it... is nothing but a giant, complicated pyramid scheme, the better.  Then we can go about building a better one.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 12:02:22 AM »

Republicans have been better at imploding major bills than passing them even with a trifecta. Talk about pissing away a golden opportunity.

There's a big constituency for SNAP, and it isn't impoverished. It is big companies like Safeway, Kroger, Wal*Mart, Meijer, etc. that sell the groceries on SNAP. SNAP may have turned potential shoplifters into paying customers.   
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 05:57:49 PM »

i'm glad this thing failed.i'm not entirely sure i like how it failed.but i'll take it
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies