I'm going to the doctor for the first time in 20+ years today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:54:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I'm going to the doctor for the first time in 20+ years today
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I'm going to the doctor for the first time in 20+ years today  (Read 891 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2018, 07:32:04 AM »

wish me luck!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »

Unless you know someone who is a doctor who makes sure you are ok every year or so, this was a really bad move to wait this long. Just me though...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:39:40 AM »

Good luck Dead0. One stereotype about the genders that I tend to believe has some verisimilitude,
is that men tend to be more irresponsible as compared to women, when it comes to the maintenance of their own health. I myself tend to quite loathe my interactions with the medical services industry (particularly these days when it is so impersonal and bureaucratic and so focused on their "covering their ass" with a bunch of BS protocols that also happens to ratchet up the cost of the services (in my case as a Medicare, largely paid for by the taxpayers rather than me), but alas, at my advanced age, it is a rather necessary evil. The odds just keep going up, that something wrong is going on in my body.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:09:58 AM »

Unless you know someone who is a doctor who makes sure you are ok every year or so, this was a really bad move to wait this long. Just me though...
well, my Mom is a retired RN and I've got a sister that is an active RN, but they don't live near me.  I almost never get sick, but you are 100% correct.
Good luck Dead0. One stereotype about the genders that I tend to believe has some verisimilitude,
is that men tend to be more irresponsible as compared to women, when it comes to the maintenance of their own health. I myself tend to quite loathe my interactions with the medical services industry (particularly these days when it is so impersonal and bureaucratic and so focused on their "covering their ass" with a bunch of BS protocols that also happens to ratchet up the cost of the services (in my case as a Medicare, largely paid for by the taxpayers rather than me), but alas, at my advanced age, it is a rather necessary evil. The odds just keep going up, that something wrong is going on in my body.
yes
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 08:17:13 AM »

Is your LDL going to be through the roof?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 10:26:54 AM »

After you fill your prescription just remember that if the effects last more than four hours then you're supposed to call the doctor.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »

Is your LDL going to be through the roof?
143, so sorta
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 03:53:21 PM »

After you fill your prescription just remember that if the effects last more than four hours then you're supposed to call the doctor.
no problems there
well, my Mom is a retired RN and I've got a sister that is an active RN, but they don't live near me.  I almost never get sick, but you are 100% correct.

As long as you've been in good general health and have no injuries in need of care, unexplained symptoms, or serious environmental or genetic risk factors, there's not much reason for an adult male to go to a doctor's office before his mid-forties. The "annual wellness visits" that more and more clinics are pushing indiscriminately (based on reimbursement incentives) are mostly bunk, costly overtreatment is rampant, and medical errors are one of the top causes of preventable death. Oh, and good luck today.
that's been my thinking, and thanks.  It went ok.  I have a stress test scheduled for next week and he told me to quit smoking.  Removed a couple of skin things.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 10:52:56 PM »

I went 28 years without seeing a doctor until an odd leg wound/staph infection/staph in the blood led to a full onslaught this year.  Good news is that aside from a borderline diabetic blood sugar level that has me taking metformin now, I'm in pretty decent health.  Probably will try to stick with regular visits cause I ain't getting any younger.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 01:27:07 AM »

Took an echo stress test yesterday, my heart looked fine.  Blood work was also good...a little low on Vit D, probably because I work mids and don't see a lot of natural light, especially in the winter.  But all in all pretty healthy for a 45 year old male that eats more sodium than a basketball team and doesn't really exercise.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 02:36:34 PM »

Took an echo stress test yesterday, my heart looked fine.  Blood work was also good...a little low on Vit D, probably because I work mids and don't see a lot of natural light, especially in the winter.  But all in all pretty healthy for a 45 year old male that eats more sodium than a basketball team and doesn't really exercise.

Glad to hear it. Now get to the gym Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 03:07:39 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »

Did the doctor indicate if posting on the Atlas forum is good or bad for your health?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 06:12:02 PM »

the free Air Force gym is too far and I'm too cheap to pay for a gym...can I just walk my dogs up and down the hills of my neighborhood?....not today though, it's 99! (NINETY NINE!...uggg)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 06:13:38 PM »

Did the doctor indicate if posting on the Atlas forum is good or bad for your health?

funny, it never came up.  I think I still might have one more follow up, I'll bring it up if I do.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies