PA-1: Wallace is BDS donor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:01:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-1: Wallace is BDS donor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: PA-1: Wallace is BDS donor  (Read 7818 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »

I do admit that I find it somewhat amusing (in a ghastly way, of course!) that referring to George Soros as a "Hungarian Jew" who has a "hatred for America" as Fitzpatrick's endorsed candidate for Governor did is considered completely acceptable under the wacky, unspoken terms of American political parlance, but being involved in an organization which apparently threw some money at the the Jewish Voice for Peace makes one a vicious anti-semite.

These are the double standards that I hate so much, and why the Republicans are never going to significantly win over Jewish voters.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2018, 10:12:01 AM »

I do admit that I find it somewhat amusing (in a ghastly way, of course!) that referring to George Soros as a "Hungarian Jew" who has a "hatred for America" as Fitzpatrick's endorsed candidate for Governor did is considered completely acceptable under the wacky, unspoken terms of American political parlance, but being involved in an organization which apparently threw some money at the the Jewish Voice for Peace makes one a vicious anti-semite.

These are the double standards that I hate so much, and why the Republicans are never going to significantly win over Jewish voters.

Oh my god!!  A candidate donated to a organisation that doesn't support bending over backwards for Israel at any cost.  The horror.  The horror!!!  Arrrrghhh!!!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »

Probably won't hurt him given the corbynization of the Democratic party, they didn't do anything when Danny Davis was discussing "the jewish question" so why would they care now?

You party nominated a neo-Nazi.
He won by being the only candidate on the ballot in a safe seat while dozens of congressmen in your party are buddies with Louis Farrakhan

Since when? Seriously, name three congressmen who currently buddy around with Farrakhan.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »

Yeah, his statement was good, but this is not a safe Dem seat or even one where they're strongly favored. If you're trying to topple an incumbent, you don't want to have a scandal that paints you as hostile to a key demographic in this district.

Was Tilt D, now Toss-up/Tilt R. Those 2 points of moderate liberal Jews with a deep hatred for BDS could swing the balance.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2018, 05:33:50 PM »

Probably won't hurt him given the corbynization of the Democratic party, they didn't do anything when Danny Davis was discussing "the jewish question" so why would they care now?

He won by being the only candidate on the ballot in a safe seat while dozens of congressmen in your party are buddies with Louis Farrakhan

Since when? Seriously, name three congressmen who currently buddy around with Farrakhan.
Maxine Waters
Keith Ellison
Danny Davis
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2018, 05:37:39 PM »

Maxine Waters
Keith Ellison
Danny Davis

Also Andre Carson.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »

Maxine Waters
Keith Ellison
Danny Davis

Now name the remaining 'dozens.'
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »

Yeah, his statement was good, but this is not a safe Dem seat or even one where they're strongly favored. If you're trying to topple an incumbent, you don't want to have a scandal that paints you as hostile to a key demographic in this district.

Was Tilt D, now Toss-up/Tilt R. Those 2 points of moderate liberal Jews with a deep hatred for BDS could swing the balance.
Haha, no
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »

This is the most Atlas-level sh**t ever written.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2018, 07:03:23 PM »

In panda's fervent imagination anybody who's ever been in the same room with Farrakhan is a buddy of him.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2018, 02:10:12 AM »

In panda's fervent imagination anybody who's ever been in the same room with Farrakhan is a buddy of him.

Yeah. Three of those names are legit to raise, but the Keith Ellison link is a Mega stretch. I guess it came because, well, all Muslims and stuff. Roll Eyes

And LOL at conflating three Congressman with, undeniably, shameful links to that hate Monger, with "dozens"
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2018, 04:19:29 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2018, 04:39:45 AM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

Other than Jewish Voice for Peace, even connecting these donations to BDS seems like a stretch; they're all institutions that do a lot of other things and then sometimes intersect with the BDS movement, which is hardly a controversial type of institution to donate to. And it's really hard (and rich) to claim that Jewish Voice for Peace is anti-Semitic or anti-Israel.

He donated to Linda Sarsour's group Tongue

What, the Women's March? Tongue
Anyway, it's pretty clear that (like 99.8% of people) he had no idea what BDS is, much less that the groups he was donating to were supporting it, so his disavowal doesn't precisely bother me.

(Anti-Likud, BDS skeptical but won't disavow it if you come after DSA for it, pro-Kibbutzim, .75 state solution advocate checking in, as long as we're contextualizing our reactions)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2018, 05:20:50 AM »

Other than Jewish Voice for Peace, even connecting these donations to BDS seems like a stretch; they're all institutions that do a lot of other things and then sometimes intersect with the BDS movement, which is hardly a controversial type of institution to donate to. And it's really hard (and rich) to claim that Jewish Voice for Peace is anti-Semitic or anti-Israel.

He donated to Linda Sarsour's group Tongue

What, the Women's March? Tongue
Anyway, it's pretty clear that (like 99.8% of people) he had no idea what BDS is, much less that the groups he was donating to were supporting it, so his disavowal doesn't precisely bother me.

(Anti-Likud, BDS skeptical but won't disavow it if you come after DSA for it, pro-Kibbutzim, .75 state solution advocate checking in, as long as we're contextualizing our reactions)

My mistake, I was thinking of someone else.  Sorry for any confusion.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »

Wait I was joshing, I assume Sarsour has some sort of pro Palestinian group?
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2018, 02:15:15 PM »

This thread is a mess
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2018, 03:07:05 PM »

Wait I was joshing, I assume Sarsour has some sort of pro Palestinian group?

I dunno, but the person I was thinking of wasn’t involved in the women’s march AFAIK.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2018, 03:10:57 PM »

Ellison has renounced Farrakhan. And Farrakhan endorsed Trump.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »

Farrakhan is actually on pretty good terms with the alt-right, which isn't surprising as they both want the same thing (US divided into racial ethnostates.)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2018, 03:14:36 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »

I was just about to post something to this effect.

Just because someone may have said something to benefit such a person in the past, or possibly met with them, or whatever, does mean they are "buddying around with them" today. That is an extraordinarily low burden of proof that seems more geared towards winning an argument with flimsy facts than actually proving anything.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2018, 12:14:26 PM »

He should never have apologized. It makes him seem insincere and, being jewish myself and having met jews of various different political leanings, any jewish voter that is really concerned about Israel would never vote for him even if he was somewhat questionable. He should have said he opposes some things Israel is doing, to keep some honesty points, but also articulate that he supports it's right to exist.

But to me it doesn't matter for two reasons
A

Being that this district has a jewish population, the fact that he was able to win the primary by double digits suggests that it really doesn't matter. Bernie lost this district in the primary AND it's a closed primary so only democrats can vote.
B
The fact that the other candidate Rachel (I forgot her last name) was not able to  dig this up shows me that she is an absolutely horrible candidate who likely would have lost theg general.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2018, 12:37:54 PM »

[...]

But to me it doesn't matter for two reasons
A

Being that this district has a jewish population, the fact that he was able to win the primary by double digits suggests that it really doesn't matter. Bernie lost this district in the primary AND it's a closed primary so only democrats can vote.
B
The fact that the other candidate Rachel (I forgot her last name) was not able to  dig this up shows me that she is an absolutely horrible candidate who likely would have lost theg general.

This dropped after people voted, no? That means its effect on his support has not been tested and won't be until November.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies