Jim Gray or Amy McGrath
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:32:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Jim Gray or Amy McGrath
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Jim Gray or Amy McGrath  (Read 6829 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 08:15:07 PM »

They're both really really good candidates and it's a shame they both have to be running in a district that'll probably be tough even with a really really good candidate. I'd vote for McGrath though.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 08:17:22 PM »

Hot take: loser of this primary should run statewide in 2019.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 09:09:30 PM »

I'm in the 6th District and I'll probably vote for McGrath. The reason McGrath acted indignant is because Gray had been looking at running for a third term as Lexington Mayor, then was convinced by John Yarmuth to run against McGrath because the federal party was worried about her while the state party wasn't. Caused some bad blood that's been rising to the surface this past week as the primary has been getting sour for the first time (in public). I personally think both McGrath and Gray are good, but McGrath has run a better campaign, in my opinion.
but isnt gray favored in the ge?

That's been heavily debated, but it is worth noting that Gray won the 6th by four points during his Senate run while Hillary lost it by something like 12 points. Both Gray and McGrath would make it competitive, I think.
also, mcgrath internal had him up 1 while she was down 4

That's mostly because of name recognition. Jim Gray has name recognition from his previous run.

Amy McGrath will make a better impression on voters when people learn who she is. Her introductory video was amazing, and she is a practical and reasonable person. Far from a firebrand.
well, she won 44% of the vote, while he won 49%, so I kind of doubt that, unless her model was batsh**t crazy
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 09:13:09 PM »

I'm in the 6th District and I'll probably vote for McGrath. The reason McGrath acted indignant is because Gray had been looking at running for a third term as Lexington Mayor, then was convinced by John Yarmuth to run against McGrath because the federal party was worried about her while the state party wasn't. Caused some bad blood that's been rising to the surface this past week as the primary has been getting sour for the first time (in public). I personally think both McGrath and Gray are good, but McGrath has run a better campaign, in my opinion.
but isnt gray favored in the ge?

That's been heavily debated, but it is worth noting that Gray won the 6th by four points during his Senate run while Hillary lost it by something like 12 points. Both Gray and McGrath would make it competitive, I think.
also, mcgrath internal had him up 1 while she was down 4

That's mostly because of name recognition. Jim Gray has name recognition from his previous run.

Amy McGrath will make a better impression on voters when people learn who she is. Her introductory video was amazing, and she is a practical and reasonable person. Far from a firebrand.
well, she won 44% of the vote, while he won 49%, so I kind of doubt that, unless her model was batsh**t crazy

Again, no one knows who she is. Name recognition is a huge thing. People don't like to say they're voting for a candidate they've never heard of before for very obvious reasons....
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 07:00:16 AM »

DTC, you’re just making Gray’s case for him. McGrath’s video may have gone viral nationwide, but her money isn’t coming from Kentucky. Kucinich had a strong cohort of support in his Gubernatorial run, but most of them didn’t actually live in Ohio. Fat lot of good it did him.

Being a massive hawk.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 10:05:03 AM »

DTC, you’re just making Gray’s case for him. McGrath’s video may have gone viral nationwide, but her money isn’t coming from Kentucky. Kucinich had a strong cohort of support in his Gubernatorial run, but most of them didn’t actually live in Ohio. Fat lot of good it did him.

Being a massive hawk.

Gray wasn’t going to run until McGrath got in and single-handedly put this race on the map.  She clearly raised some of that money from Kentucky, was on track to beat Barr, and has almost certainly built a solid campaign infrastructure.  That counts for something too and while I get that you don’t like her, I think you’ve gotta admit that it takes a strong candidate to do what she did (put a solidly Republican seat in KY in play like that as a first-time candidate who was like the fourth or fifth choice for the seat) and that the Kucinich comparison is pretty ridiculous (no offense).  If you don’t like, her all well and good, but that doesn’t change the fact that both Gray and McGrath are solid A-list recruits who could definitely defeat Barr.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »

Gray going negative for the first time. I think he’s toast and running out of money (I could’ve made a better video by myself at home).
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 08:29:26 PM »

Incredibly dumb move by Gray and the ad isn't even effective.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 12:07:54 AM »

Being a massive hawk.

Gray wasn’t going to run until McGrath got in and single-handedly put this race on the map. She clearly raised some of that money from Kentucky, was on track to beat Barr, and has almost certainly built a solid campaign infrastructure.  That counts for something too and while I get that you don’t like her, I think you’ve gotta admit that it takes a strong candidate to do what she did (put a solidly Republican seat in KY in play like that as a first-time candidate who was like the fourth or fifth choice for the seat) and that the Kucinich comparison is pretty ridiculous (no offense).  If you don’t like, her all well and good, but that doesn’t change the fact that both Gray and McGrath are solid A-list recruits who could definitely defeat Barr.

The bolded’s just not true, and there are articles out there that prove it. Gray was bein talked up into running for this seat days after he lost the Senate race. He waited until December of 2017 to get in, sure, but that’s fairly normal, historically. People’s sense of the regular timeline is askance thanks to people like Delaney.

The Kucinich comparison isn’t to compare candidate quality, but methods of support. It is factually true that McGrath’s fundraising within Kentucky has been piss poor, which doesn’t bode well. Gray is an A-list, McGrath is a B-list, and Kucinich was a C-list.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 01:43:54 AM »

Being a massive hawk.

Gray wasn’t going to run until McGrath got in and single-handedly put this race on the map. She clearly raised some of that money from Kentucky, was on track to beat Barr, and has almost certainly built a solid campaign infrastructure.  That counts for something too and while I get that you don’t like her, I think you’ve gotta admit that it takes a strong candidate to do what she did (put a solidly Republican seat in KY in play like that as a first-time candidate who was like the fourth or fifth choice for the seat) and that the Kucinich comparison is pretty ridiculous (no offense).  If you don’t like, her all well and good, but that doesn’t change the fact that both Gray and McGrath are solid A-list recruits who could definitely defeat Barr.

The bolded’s just not true, and there are articles out there that prove it. Gray was bein talked up into running for this seat days after he lost the Senate race. He waited until December of 2017 to get in, sure, but that’s fairly normal, historically. People’s sense of the regular timeline is askance thanks to people like Delaney.

The Kucinich comparison isn’t to compare candidate quality, but methods of support. It is factually true that McGrath’s fundraising within Kentucky has been piss poor, which doesn’t bode well. Gray is an A-list, McGrath is a B-list, and Kucinich was a C-list.

The whole "out-of-staters are pushing this candidate" factor is a big part of why I support Gray. I get irritated when that happens even when it's a candidate I like. I'd prefer national organizations and people in states halfway across the country butt out until the primaries are over.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2018, 11:05:53 AM »

Question: I know that McGrath insinuated she might run as an independent if Gray lost. However, for the life of me I cannot find a source for this now. Anyone have one?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »

Question: I know that McGrath insinuated she might run as an independent if Gray lost. However, for the life of me I cannot find a source for this now. Anyone have one?

Why does this only hurt Dems? Barr will be propped up by out of state funded PACs.
TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »

I think it was something she insiniuated but did not say outright, and she later did reiterate that she would respect the primary result.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »

I like McGrath more but Gray is fine.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2018, 04:40:40 PM »

Gray going negative for the first time. I think he’s toast and running out of money (I could’ve made a better video by myself at home).

This could backfire for him big time.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2018, 04:46:09 PM »

Not that it couldn’t backfire, but Gray’s raised more money than McGrath...
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2018, 04:46:30 PM »

Rep. Ted Lieu is on Twitter asking Gray to take the ad down
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »

What? That was the nicest "attack ad" I've ever seen. It's just pointing out she's a carpetbagger. Is pointing out that now off limits in democratic primaries?
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »

Open Secrets shows her raising more and spending twice as much: https://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary?cycle=2018&id=KY06

I'm in the district and she's run a stellar campaign. I like both McGrath and Gray, but she's run a smarter campaign here.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2018, 04:49:21 PM »

What? That was the nicest "attack ad" I've ever seen. It's just pointing out she's a carpetbagger. Is pointing out that now off limits in democratic primaries?

Don't ask me, ask Ted Lieu lol
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 04:51:18 PM »

The worst part of this race will be when Gray loses the primary and we're treated to another round of insufferable takes about how "moderate dems" are panicking and establishment candidates are losing/Dems in disarray despite McGrath not really being ideologically different from Gray.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2018, 10:50:48 PM »

McGrath's platform is super wonky but also exceptionally good. She's progressive but not in a way that's off-putting to conservative voters. Quite refreshing to read! McGrath supports a Medicare buy-in and a public option for healthcare. Imo that kind of nuance gets lost in the back and forth "single payer or bust" discussions that seem to prevail too often in primaries.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2018, 05:25:01 AM »

McGrath's platform is super wonky but also exceptionally good. She's progressive but not in a way that's off-putting to conservative voters. Quite refreshing to read! McGrath supports a Medicare buy-in and a public option for healthcare. Imo that kind of nuance gets lost in the back and forth "single payer or bust" discussions that seem to prevail too often in primaries.

That’s a great example of why I like her a bit more than Gray, plus she has the best House ads since John Barrow.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2018, 06:44:15 AM »

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »

VoteVets is overreacting in calling for Gray to drop out. While there are probably better issues to go negative on -- not that I recommend being the first to go negative in any race -- the ad was pretty tame.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies