(MAP) 2018 Primary Electorate by County (COMPLETE*)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:31:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  (MAP) 2018 Primary Electorate by County (COMPLETE*)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: (MAP) 2018 Primary Electorate by County (COMPLETE*)  (Read 12285 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
« edited: September 14, 2018, 12:57:51 PM by Fmr. Pres. Griff »

A work in progress: just like I did this for the 2016 presidential primary, I'm going to compile a county-by-county map for 2018. For now, though, here's a partial map + the statewide two-way results:

Exceptions In Results Calculations:

NY & UT: no county-level data and/or extensive primary on GOP & DEM sides, respectively. Figures are based on most recent active voter registration statistics by county

SD: No contested DEM primary statewide or in most counties; statewide figures based on GOP voter turnout versus DEM & NPA turnout (NPA voters were only eligible to pull a DEM primary ballot, making GOP vs DEM/NPA voters the most realistic comparison)

VA: No DEM primary statewide and no local elections; projection made by analyzing contested primaries in both parties for applicable 7 CDs and then comparing to statewide share of both Trump and Clinton electorate in these 7 CDs; applied comparable swing to remainder of electorate for a projection of how electorate would have voted assuming contested primaries statewide for both parties

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »

Not bad for Democrats.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »

Added 5 states' county results to the map.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »

See I told y'all Illinois is titanium Democratic.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »

IL & ID added.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 02:50:37 PM »

Cool, thank you!  Interesting to see some ancestrally Democratic areas of Southern Illinois stay mostly Democratic even with open primaries.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 02:53:53 PM »

Cool, thank you!  Interesting to see some ancestrally Democratic areas of Southern Illinois stay mostly Democratic even with open primaries.

Yes!

And its so beautiful to see all the collars as Atlas red.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »

What are you using as your data source? I'm making a similar map myself that averages the statewide contests (expect North Carolina) totals, R vs D. I can see at least one different county from what you have.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 03:56:21 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2018, 03:59:31 PM by Fmr. Pres. Griff »

What are you using as your data source? I'm making a similar map myself that averages the statewide contests (expect North Carolina) totals, R vs D. I can see at least one different county from what you have.

Complete NYT results in situations where possible (i.e. top-ballot contests where all candidates are shown) and state election data (whether it's top-ballot results or actual primary turnout figures; some don't offer the latter) in situations where NYT truncates the figures to the top three candidates. It's entirely possible that really close results could be diff depending on the exact ballot counted, and just as possible I flipped a result by accident.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 02:31:53 PM »

Updated (sans NC/KY).

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 02:54:43 PM »

Good old Greely County, NE! Hasn't voted Democratic for President since 1976 yet still had more Dem primary voters. The weird thing is if we're talking about Central Nebraska, Sherman County tends to be more Democratic than Greely (in large part thanks to Sherman County being nearly 30% Polish).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 02:34:21 AM »

Added several new states. Waiting on CA to fully finish and SD's results are weird because of the Democratic/Non-Partisan situation, but I'll get them added in the near future.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »

Virginia will be annoying because there is no statewide Dem primary.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »

Updated with last night's completed results.

As of now, 26 states have voted, with Democrats winning 13 and Republicans winning 13. Kentucky is almost certainly majority-D by this measurement (though we won't have breakdowns apparently for another 2 months).

And as far as Virginia's figures go, it's a projection built on last night's partial results and 2016 results. This explains how the figure was calculated.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »

A work in progress: just like I did this for the 2016 presidential primary, I'm going to compile a county-by-county map for 2018. For now, though, here's a partial map + the statewide two-way results:

Please explain how these map of partisan primaries are informative?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »

No one said that they were informative. They're just interesting ways of looking at the shares of how much one party turned out in contrast to the other
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 11:28:20 AM »

No one said that they were informative. They're just interesting ways of looking at the shares of how much one party turned out in contrast to the other

It's a good way of viewing long-term institutional strength. Especially since you have voters in both parties that are with the one party local and state level, but not federal. My rough estimate is 10% of the voters in North Carolina in the '80s, '90s, and '00s were "Democrats state and local, Republicans federal". That group pretty much decided who won every election.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »

It's a good way of viewing long-term institutional strength. Especially since you have voters in both parties that are with the one party local and state level, but not federal. My rough estimate is 10% of the voters in North Carolina in the '80s, '90s, and '00s were "Democrats state and local, Republicans federal". That group pretty much decided who won every election.

Also seeing Democrats win some of those traditional down-ballot Republican suburban/urban counties like DuPage, IL, Chester, PA, Gwinnett, GA, Harris, TX, Hamilton, OH and Morris, NJ is striking.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 12:50:05 PM »

Especially in closed primary states.  Most people don't bother to change their registration, and they're at least SOMEWHAT more likely to vote for a moderate member of their non-preferred party in the general if they supported him or her in the primary.  A "Yellow Dog Dixiecrat" or whatever from Oklahoma is likely to vote Republican in the general no matter what ... they're at least a LITTLE more likely to vote for a moderate Democrat in the general if they voted for them in the primary, IMO.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 04:41:20 AM »

With 90% of Maine's precincts now reporting, I've went ahead and hastily added the results to the map. There are many counties where the margins are close; it wouldn't surprise me if there are some D counties that ultimately go R and vice-versa. Once the results are complete, I'll update the map.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »

Democratic Gubernatorial nominees are only 536 votes away from toping the Republicans in Orange County. There is still 45,000 votes left uncounted, so I imagine Dems will easily take the lead here soon.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 01:41:02 PM »

What's up with that  uber red Texas county just southeast of the panhandle? Thats a super Republican area.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 01:45:39 PM »

What's up with that  uber red Texas county just southeast of the panhandle? Thats a super Republican area.

They didn't hold a Republican primary and I don't know if they ever have.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 05:56:47 PM »

What's up with that  uber red Texas county just southeast of the panhandle? Thats a super Republican area.

Jimrtex has the explanation for it somewhere. Until recently, the parties held the primaries on their own behalf. If I recall correctly, now, it's because whoever holds the county elections office can (or could) choose which party primaries get to happen (because they're in charge of them).

EDIT: here's the explanation.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2018, 05:36:33 PM »

OK and CO county-level results added; MD statewide figures added.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies