How could Perot have been able to actually win some states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:07:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  How could Perot have been able to actually win some states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How could Perot have been able to actually win some states?  (Read 1225 times)
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2018, 11:24:12 PM »

What would have been the absolute best realistic outcome for him? I know this gets asked a lot, but still, it's just odd to see how he didn't get a single state at 19 percent
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 11:50:14 PM »

If he hadn't dropped out, and then got back in talking crazy conspiracy theories then there is a realistic chance he would have won overall.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:47:13 AM »

Clinton gets caught having another affair after winning the nomination. He finishes third, H.W Bush finishes second, and Perot picks up many D-leaning states (with the possible exception of New York).
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:02:02 AM »

I feel like he could have won all his 25% or more states, but that would only be 32 electoral votes
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:32:52 PM »

Run a regional (or shamelessly rural-based) campaign with a focus on Maine, New Hampshire, and The West.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 03:38:31 PM »

If he hadn't dropped out, and then got back in talking crazy conspiracy theories then there is a realistic chance he would have won overall.

I think that might be a stretch
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 06:35:16 PM »

Perot was notoriously stingy about spending any part of his own fortune on advertising, he relied almost entirely on free media coverage until the second phase of the campaign when he re-entered the race in October.

Had Perot a) committed to a media strategy early in the race b) never dropped out and c) actively campaigned in the parts of the country where his support ran deepest, he likely would have carried at least a handful of states.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »

Interesting answers, especially the media one. Does anybody have a map that can show his best realistic performance
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 07:26:41 PM »

Multiple polls had him ahead before he quite. Its impossible to say, but he certainly had the best chance of a third party/indy winning since Teddy Roosevelt
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »

Multiple polls had him ahead before he quite. Its impossible to say, but he certainly had the best chance of a third party/indy winning since Teddy Roosevelt

No, George Wallace did. He came within a whisker of throwing the election to the house. I have a strange feeling that if he really knew how to play his cards right, he would have won
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 06:49:27 PM »

Not drop out when he was leading in the polls?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 08:13:36 PM »

No, George Wallace did. He came within a whisker of throwing the election to the house. I have a strange feeling that if he really knew how to play his cards right, he would have won
There is no way in hell Wallace could win in the House
HarrisonL

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 10:15:29 PM »

Perot would've won the whole election if he hadn't dropped out. He was ahead of Clinton and Bush in quite a few polls before he dropped out.
HarrisonL

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 10:16:37 PM »

There is no way in hell Wallace could win in the House

I agree. Wallace would never win in the HoR lol.
UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 09:10:25 PM »

Perot didnt have EV's because his support was even
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »

Perot didnt have EV's because his support was even
Perot could have won Maine, Alaska, Kansas, and Montana if his vote share on Election Day was higher.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies