Dick Cheney endorses Gina Haspel and a return to torture
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:57:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dick Cheney endorses Gina Haspel and a return to torture
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Dick Cheney endorses Gina Haspel and a return to torture  (Read 3808 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 05:07:47 PM »

Of course he does.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »

You wanna talk torture? How about being trapped in a 110 story building that’s on fire and your choices are to burn, suffocate, jump 1300 feet to your death, or die in a structural collapse. I’m absolutely not against waterboarding or shocking these absolute animals
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »

You wanna talk torture? How about being trapped in a 110 story building that’s on fire and your choices are to burn, suffocate, jump 1300 feet to your death, or die in a structural collapse. I’m absolutely not against waterboarding or shocking these absolute animals

None of these terrorists deserve justice.  Nor do their families deserve comfort; they are part and parcel of Terrorism.

That being said, I do care how our military are treated when they are captured, and opening up the torture chambers will hurt our forces more then theirs in the long run.

Jihadist Scum is a low standard to live up to.  America ought to do better. 
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 08:52:50 PM »

She oversaw the torturing of a pregnant woman. Shackled, beaten, and starved. Her baby almost died.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »

She oversaw the torturing of a pregnant woman. Shackled, beaten, and starved. Her baby almost died.

And we had children on the planes that those animals rammed into the towers. Idgaf what the price is for hunting down those bitches. It’s war. And if the choice is our people or their people, I’d choose to save our people 100% of the time
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »

And we had children on the planes that those animals rammed into the towers. Idgaf what the price is for hunting down those bitches. It’s war. And if the choice is our people or their people, I’d choose to save our people 100% of the time

She tortured an INNOCENT pregnant woman. So to get back at the terrorists we torture an innocent who is with-child and has nothing to do with Al Qaeda?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 09:07:42 PM »

She tortured an INNOCENT pregnant woman. So to get back at the terrorists we torture an innocent who is with-child and has nothing to do with Al Qaeda?

Has it been documented that she knew nothing and had no contacts with alqaeda? If there is okay I’m against that one, but as I said “torture” is too good for these guys
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »

You are no better than the terrorists.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 09:21:55 PM »

Typical liberal... feewwing for the terrorists. They attacked us. You mess with the bull, you get the horns. What would you be saying in 1945 after we nuked Hiroshima and firebombed Dresden? Were no better than Imperial Japan/Nazi Germany? Gimme a break
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 10:49:27 PM »

Typical liberal... feewwing for the terrorists. They attacked us. You mess with the bull, you get the horns. What would you be saying in 1945 after we nuked Hiroshima and firebombed Dresden? Were no better than Imperial Japan/Nazi Germany? Gimme a break

We didn't torture German or Japanese POWs.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2018, 04:31:25 AM »

I have to disagree with you here. 9/11 was a horrific terrorist attack, and the actions of Al Qaeda, along with all of the other jihadist and radical organizations (i.e. the Taliban, ISIS), should not in any way be condoned. However, waterboarding and other such "enhanced interrogation" techniques definitely align, in my view, with the standard of torture, given how these techniques inflicted physical trauma upon those who were subjected to them. This is to say nothing of the harsh treatment which has been given to prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, or the situation that occurred at the Abu Gharib prison in Iraq.

All of this has also taken place while the United States has been a signatory to various international conventions (Geneva Conventions, UN Convention on Torture), that would, in my view, outlaw these kinds of practices. If we are bringing ourselves down to the level of terrorists and of radicals, then we are doing no better than them. Yes, in war, harsh measures are justified, but when we are taking measures that target innocent people, or that violate the basic rights which law and custom grant to individual beings, then we are going too far.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2018, 05:02:29 AM »

Cheney was human t**h back then, and he still is. He learned nothing.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2018, 07:04:56 AM »

Since torture has some up, I wanted to link these:

Experienced interrogator: Torture doesn’t work

Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide

We’ve Known for 400 Years That Torture Doesn’t Work

Why Torture Doesn’t Work: The Neuroscience of Interrogation

US report on 'enhanced interrogation' concludes: torture doesn't work

And, most recently,

CIA nominee Gina Haspel says torture doesn't work

Anyone who wants to torture people is a dangerous sadist.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »

PittsburghSteel is quite the hypocrite, rallying against Haspel (rightfully) and Cheney's comments here but believing the man who gave Cheney his most influential office and started Haspel's programs is a "Nice Guy FF Smiley"

Either Haspel is horrible, monstrous and a criminal or George W. Bush is a good man. Pick one.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »

Let's have a little wager, kiddo.

I will personally send you $500, either via mail or electronically, if you post a video of yourself being waterboarded.  In the video, you must announce your Atlas screen name prior to the drill.

Show us how much of a man you are.  Somehow I doubt that will be happening, of course.  How many times have you threatened to post a selfie to show us your guns, bro?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »

Even if torturing the perpetrators of 9/11 was 100% justified, we should remember that Bush 43 and Cheney were closely connected to Mel Sembler, who's corporation (Straight, Inc.) tortured American teenahers for things like being gay and smoking weed.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2018, 11:11:20 PM »

People without empathy(for civilians btw) are human garbage.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »

Dick the warmonger Cheney has the same allergy against scientific facts than Drumpf. Countless studies, already linked in previous posts, show that torture is completely useless. Not to mention what signals it sends to the world. Or he simply thinks what Drumpf said: "Even if it doesn't work, they deserve it anyway".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 10:32:57 AM »

Tiny little point here, but many of the individuals tortured by the CIA turned out to have little or nothing to do with actual terrorist organizations. Just saying that there's a reason our system has due process. Oh yes, and then there's that whole torture doesn't work thing as linked multiple times above.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2018, 10:52:27 AM »

If the ends justify the means, then the ends were never really that important.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2018, 07:39:05 PM »

A "return to torture?" We're being tortured every day by Trump inhabiting the White House and making us suffer for his decisions, like this one.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2018, 07:52:28 PM »

Noun verb 9/11!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2018, 08:54:04 PM »

I mean, Curtis LeMay himself noted that he would probably have been arrested  and hung as a war criminal if the war had been lost.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2018, 05:25:07 PM »

Let's have a little wager, kiddo.

I will personally send you $500, either via mail or electronically, if you post a video of yourself being waterboarded.  In the video, you must announce your Atlas screen name prior to the drill.

Show us how much of a man you are.  Somehow I doubt that will be happening, of course.  How many times have you threatened to post a selfie to show us your guns, bro?

I work in commercial banking and treasury management ... would be happy to assist with the ACH payment component and would even use my newfound authority as an officer to WAIVE the $5.00 fee.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2018, 08:47:55 PM »

Tiny little point here, but many of the individuals tortured by the CIA turned out to have little or nothing to do with actual terrorist organizations. Just saying that there's a reason our system has due process. Oh yes, and then there's that whole torture doesn't work thing as linked multiple times above.

Badger, they don't care about that. As long as they get to torture Muslims, they're fine with it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies