HB 1228: Transparency is a Right Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:34:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 1228: Transparency is a Right Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 1228: Transparency is a Right Act (Tabled)  (Read 1619 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »
« edited: May 16, 2018, 02:36:12 PM by Vice President PiT »

This bill has passed the Senate with amendment and returns to the House for a final vote. Representatives have 72 hours to vote aye, nay, or abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Passed 7-0 in the Atlasian House Assembled,

As Amended:
People's Regional Senate:
Passed 5-0-1 in the Atlasian Senate assembled

[/quote]
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:02:56 PM »

Aye. While I think, for efficiency's sake at times, we should discuss bills and options in formats outside of this forum (especially on such broad topics of tax reform and budgets), I do worry about the recent scandals creating a lack of trust in our elected officials. Therefore, I think it is necessary and proper for this bill to become law.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:41:52 PM »

Some misgivings; I'd like to allow suspension of this in emergency, but Aye for now.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 06:28:03 AM »

Abstain ftr.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 07:20:52 AM »

Mr. Vice President, that link for the senate vote goes to the wrong bill.

Also, aye. I think, similarly to sestak, that this should be suspended in emergency, such as if the forum is down, but this is a very serious issue.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 02:50:16 PM »

Mr. Vice President, that link for the senate vote goes to the wrong bill.

Fixed.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »

AYE
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 12:52:11 AM »

AYE
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 03:40:12 AM »

Aye!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 12:01:10 PM »

I guess it's too late now, but for the record, I still contend this bill is an unconstitutional violation of the right of each chamber to determine its own methods of proceeding, as per Sections 2(iii) and 3(iv) of Article III.

Finally, I would question the constitutionality of enacting this as a provision of federal Law rather than as an amendment to the Senate Rules. Under Article III, both Houses have the exclusive right to determine their own methods of proceeding; this bill amounts to the executive and the Senate mandating that the House conduct business in a certain way (and from the opposite perspective, the executive and the House mandating that the Senate conduct business in a certain way). I don't think any of these provisions would be inoperable as part of the House/Senate rules (I'd argue an expulsion provision would be on firmer constitutional ground in that context), but the distinction is important.

As I see it, the Constitution gives each House the power to determine their own methods of proceeding—independent of any other authority. If this bill were to become Law, however, the Senate would no longer be able to decide to meet on Discord without the House passing and the president signing a repeal bill. Basically, the president and one house of Congress would be preventing the other from deciding where and how to go about their business—which rather undermines the constitutional provision that the Senate alone make that decision.

Section 3 is definitely unconstitutional

Quote from: Restricted
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »

I guess it's too late now, but for the record, I still contend this bill is an unconstitutional violation of the right of each chamber to determine its own methods of proceeding, as per Sections 2(iii) and 3(iv) of Article III.

Finally, I would question the constitutionality of enacting this as a provision of federal Law rather than as an amendment to the Senate Rules. Under Article III, both Houses have the exclusive right to determine their own methods of proceeding; this bill amounts to the executive and the Senate mandating that the House conduct business in a certain way (and from the opposite perspective, the executive and the House mandating that the Senate conduct business in a certain way). I don't think any of these provisions would be inoperable as part of the House/Senate rules (I'd argue an expulsion provision would be on firmer constitutional ground in that context), but the distinction is important.

As I see it, the Constitution gives each House the power to determine their own methods of proceeding—independent of any other authority. If this bill were to become Law, however, the Senate would no longer be able to decide to meet on Discord without the House passing and the president signing a repeal bill. Basically, the president and one house of Congress would be preventing the other from deciding where and how to go about their business—which rather undermines the constitutional provision that the Senate alone make that decision.

Section 3 is definitely unconstitutional

Quote from: Restricted

Typo in the constitution. Doh.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »

Time has expired, but the vote has not been called. Until a vote is officially certified by the house administrator in question, it is not final.

Therefore, stepping on PiT's toes yet again. I ask unanimous consent to cancel the final vote, Representatives have 24 hours to object.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

Once the vote is canceled, I think we should just table this.

The only way to do this is the way we did the Amendment Explanation Thing.

Have a Joint Resolution contained three different sections with the chamber only voting on their relevant sections and a non-severability clause linking them together. That way each chamber is only voting on their own rule changes, but they don't become effective until both have done so.

We are not allowed to amend this either because it has already come back with an amendment.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 04:28:30 PM »

Have a Joint Resolution contained three different sections with the chamber only voting on their relevant sections and a non-severability clause linking them together. That way each chamber is only voting on their own rule changes, but they don't become effective until both have done so.

We are not allowed to amend this either because it has already come back with an amendment.

If it helps, I can amend the Senate amendment of this bill (which is currently on the floor) into a new version of the bill, with the above included and reformatted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 05:52:25 PM »

If it helps, I can amend the Senate amendment of this bill (which is currently on the floor) into a new version of the bill, with the above included and reformatted.

I assume you mean this: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=291680.0

Yes, that would be appropriate. Otherwise that amendment is junk too since it is kind of hard to amend a previously passed law that wasn't passed itself.

So either way, the bill you reference needs to be altered anyway and treated as standalone legislation as opposed to amending an already passed (or in this case an expected to be passed) bill.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 06:09:37 PM »

I assume you mean this: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=291680.0

Yes, that would be appropriate. Otherwise that amendment is junk too since it is kind of hard to amend a previously passed law that wasn't passed itself.

So either way, the bill you reference needs to be altered anyway and treated as standalone legislation as opposed to amending an already passed (or in this case an expected to be passed) bill.

Can you link me to a former Joint Resolution so I can know the format?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 07:49:39 PM »

Can you link me to a former Joint Resolution so I can know the format?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=290384.msg6169832#msg6169832

Quote box hell. Just remember, Morty, if one box is broken and the substances mix, it will cause a chain reaction, which may cause existence to melt into itself or produce a really tasty sandwich spread. I cannot remember which!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2018, 11:33:17 PM »

Looks like that bill is going to die too.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 01:43:33 AM »

The number of bills getting killed makes me worry about the levels of quality of proposed bills these days.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 03:03:41 AM »

The number of bills getting killed makes me worry about the levels of quality of proposed bills these days.

Well it is better than low quality bills getting passed. Tongue
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 11:55:43 AM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 03:17:24 AM »

Time has expired, but the vote has not been called. Until a vote is officially certified by the house administrator in question, it is not final.

Therefore, stepping on PiT's toes yet again. I ask unanimous consent to cancel the final vote, Representatives have 24 hours to object.

There was no objection to this motion, so it passes. The final vote on this bill is cancelled.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 03:35:00 AM »

I motion to table the underlying bill for the reasons stated above.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 03:35:59 AM »

I motion to table the underlying bill for the reasons stated above.
I second.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 03:36:50 AM »

A vote is now open on the motion to table. Representatives have 48 hours to vote aye, nay, or abstain.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies