What is the next state to see a rapid collapse of the dominant party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:09:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What is the next state to see a rapid collapse of the dominant party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What is the next state to see a rapid collapse of the dominant party?  (Read 1922 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 05:53:50 AM »

What state democratic parties have seen a recent collapse? The only when which jumps to mind as being previously strong, but now relatively weak is Ohio
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 08:11:53 AM »

I feel like FL might soon. Even if a Democrat wins the governorship this year, I don't think a chamber will flip.  After all these years of control, though, it's bound to happen soon.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 10:08:13 AM »

I'd like Minnesota better but:

1. Republicans have already had some success in legislative races, but even their better performances haven't resulted in any overwhelming successes.

2. Usually states where political power implodes for the dominant power see it slipping away ahead of time at the presidential level, and the implosion is mainly from the legislative/state results catching up to how voters had been voting for president for years already. Minnesota didn't even go for Trump, and in 2000 it went for Gore by similar margin as Clinton, so if anything, it just seems like status quo there.

IMO, there just aren't any good candidates for Democratic implosion-states. Republicans have already claimed all the states that were due for that under Obama.

I question if #2 is some indisputable political *truth* or rather something we all just assume will always happen because it did once in such an important and dramatic (and drawn out) event: Southern Whites abandoning the Democratic Party.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »

2. Usually states where political power implodes for the dominant power see it slipping away ahead of time at the presidential level, and the implosion is mainly from the legislative/state results catching up to how voters had been voting for president for years already. Minnesota didn't even go for Trump, and in 2000 it went for Gore by similar margin as Clinton, so if anything, it just seems like status quo there.

This seems less true for the Midwest, though. Democrats got shat on in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan downballot before Clinton lost those states.

Also this:

I question if #2 is some indisputable political *truth* or rather something we all just assume will always happen because it did once in such an important and dramatic (and drawn out) event: Southern Whites abandoning the Democratic Party.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 02:15:57 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2018, 02:21:04 PM by Virginia »

It happened in West Virginia and Kentucky as well, although they are technically in "the South," they aren't usually thought of when it comes to what you said (or are they?). There are also a ton of Romney-Clinton legislative seats in New York and Pennsylvania collectively where Republican incumbents held on fine in 2016 but may be endangered this year and into the future, so we'll see what happens there. In fact, there are seats like this all over the country. When the coalitions shift, it can take a couple election cycles or more for the party the districts shifted towards to actually win them downballot. What made the South unique was just how long these legislative/House seats stayed with Democrats. It took Republicans generations to break that hold.

Also I think Virginia (2008-2017) counts differently than the old Southern Democrats dealio. This time it was Republicans who held onto seats they were doomed to lose eventually, and part of the reason it took Democrats until post-Obama to win them was that in some cases they didn't even challenge Republican incumbents in off-year elections like 2015, but also because the Democratic base was demoralized in those cycles and some of the voters they were winning at the presidential level were still supporting local Republican incumbents, maybe even just out of habit.

-

At any rate, I don't know if this happens with every demographic / everywhere, but it does happen enough to believe in it. I also don't think every single presidential win means as much as the numbers say in one election. For instance, Obama won Michigan by a huge margin in 2008, but many of the legislative seats he won quickly snapped back to supporting Republicans as they were never going to stop doing that in the first place. They only supported Obama and maybe a Democrat or two temporarily because of a short-lived backlash against Republicans.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »

Arizona
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: