NY-AG 2018: Does Eric Schneiderman get a Democratic primary challenge?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:02:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-AG 2018: Does Eric Schneiderman get a Democratic primary challenge?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: NY-AG 2018: Does Eric Schneiderman get a Democratic primary challenge?  (Read 4727 times)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »

ITS HAPPENING

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »

If the legislature is picking the new AG; I have zero faith in someone like Teachout or Bharara getting the job.

Better give it to an ineffectual moderate hack like Rice who will focus less on big money and corruption and more on what an AG should focus on; imprisoning as many New Yorkers as possible.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 01:10:31 PM »

If the legislature is picking the new AG; I have zero faith in someone like Teachout or Bharara getting the job.

Better give it to an ineffectual moderate hack like Rice who will focus less on big money and corruption and more on what an AG should focus on; imprisoning as many New Yorkers as possible.

Hopefully, Teachout or Bharara will run in and win the primary.  I'd be pretty excited about either one, especially the latter.
Duke of York

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »

The legislature is picking a interim attorney general who should they choose to run for a full term will likely face a primary. The Legislature chooses a new AG because the constitution requires it.

Kathleen Rice happens to have been a very effective DA.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »

Teachout or Bharara would be huge. But I stick with my previous cynical assessment - New York doesn't do good things like this, so I'm expecting some hack or otherwise undesirable politician until otherwise proven wrong.
Duke of York

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »

Teachout or Bharara would be huge. But I stick with my previous cynical assessment - New York doesn't do good things like this, so I'm expecting some hack or otherwise undesirable politician until otherwise proven wrong.

Care to explain who isn't undesirable or a hack to you?  You sound like someone I know that only people i agree with should be able to run in a primary or when the person I want doesnt win the result should be overturned.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »

Care to explain who isn't undesirable or a hack to you?  You sound like someone I know that only people i agree with should be able to run in a primary or when the person I want doesnt win the result should be overturned.

Then you don't know anything about me. Neither of those two things you said reflect my thinking. My opinion of when a result should be overturned usually hinge on mass voter fraud, which basically never happens anymore, and I think all sorts of people should be able to run in a primary, but if someone I dislike wins, I'm not going to hold back criticism (but I will also apologize if they prove me wrong).

I won't apologize for my crabby view of New York politics, whether it be with Cuomo, who seems content holding his party underwater until its politically expedient and is generally an untrustworthy politician in my eyes, or why the Suffolk Democratic chair seems to prefer having Democrats lose than win. I actually joined Atlas with a pretty neutral view of the state parties, but after absorbing a steady stream of general/special/primary elections and endless news, it seems like there are some state parties where the powers that be prefer playing games and sabotaging their own party than actually delivering for their voters.

More to the point, after watching someone like Krasner get elected DA in Philadelphia, my expectations have undoubtedly shifted. I'm getting tired of settling, and for once, I'd like someone I can trust to be more of a honest crusader than some bland establishment pick who won't rock any boats and where there is a pretty decent chance that failed "TUFF ON CRIME" policies will win the day yet again. There is a lot of work to be done in rolling back the failed criminal justice policies of the past ~generation, and I think it will take a better-than-usual person to do it.

The two people I listed are who I'd love to be the ones, and I'll comment further closer to the primary on other people.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2018, 01:01:12 PM »

Saw a rumor on DKE that Trish James is looking up Assembly support. Interesting to see if that holds, she’d be an interesting one for the job.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2018, 11:40:12 AM »

Rice is out.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »

Good.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »

Still leaves the door open for SPM, who congressional dems would prefer to remain in his house seat.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2018, 05:48:42 PM »

Still leaves the door open for SPM, who congressional dems would prefer to remain in his house seat.

There is no way SPM seat would flip in 2018. It could have flipped if it were open in 2014 or 2016, but not 2018.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »

Saw a rumor on DKE that Trish James is looking up Assembly support. Interesting to see if that holds, she’d be an interesting one for the job.

Announced she won't seek the WFP line.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2018, 06:52:25 PM »

Bharara leaning no but hasn't made a final decision.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2018, 12:41:02 PM »

Letitia James in. Zephyr Teachout forms an exploratory committee.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2018, 07:12:52 AM »

Shame on Preet. Teachout is a goof for forming an exploratory committee — why do that with any office other than the Presidency? Just go for it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »

Shame on Preet. Teachout is a goof for forming an exploratory committee — why do that with any office other than the Presidency? Just go for it.

Could you elaborate regarding the bolded part?  I'm a bit confused as to what it was in reaction to.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2018, 12:45:53 PM »

Could you elaborate regarding the bolded part?  I'm a bit confused as to what it was in reaction to.

I'm guessing it is reaction to news that Preet hasn't even been registered to vote. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »

I'm guessing it is reaction to news that Preet hasn't even been registered to vote. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2018, 09:18:11 PM »

This:

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2018, 10:27:06 PM »

This:

He has every right not to run if he doesn't want to.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2018, 09:52:05 AM »

Sure. Doesnt mean it isn’t disappointing.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix