Clinton vs. Sanders by Congressional District
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:26:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton vs. Sanders by Congressional District
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton vs. Sanders by Congressional District  (Read 2752 times)
uti2

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2018, 06:21:18 PM »

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 06:37:04 PM »

This is really good anyone have the republican primary by congressional district?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »

I wonder why the Sanders message didn't resonate in Ohio and Pennsylvania the way it did in Michigan and Wisconsin. I'm shocked she won districts in PA other than Pittsburgh, Philly, and Philly suburbs.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:01:02 AM »

The north/south divide is really interesting.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »

Why aren't there any districts results for New Jersey?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »

I wonder why the Sanders message didn't resonate in Ohio and Pennsylvania the way it did in Michigan and Wisconsin. I'm shocked she won districts in PA other than Pittsburgh, Philly, and Philly suburbs.
Well, Pennsylvania and Ohio are quite gerrymandered but another reason bight be most of the white working class voters there are Republicans and the states have closed primaries.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »

Well, Pennsylvania and Ohio are quite gerrymandered but another reason bight be most of the white working class voters there are Republicans and the states have closed primaries.

Not Ohio.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 10:24:28 AM »

PA has a ton of WWC voters that are registered dems but voted Trump. Bernie not winning PA was pathetic.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 10:25:42 AM »

What's up with NJ? Should be pretty easy to get those results together.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »

PA has a ton of WWC voters that are registered dems but voted Trump. Bernie not winning PA was pathetic.

Yeah, most of the heavily "WWC" counties still have more Democrats than Republicans in BOTH states, and you'd think they'd be voting for Sanders.
JG

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 12:02:43 PM »

Yeah, most of the heavily "WWC" counties still have more Democrats than Republicans in BOTH states, and you'd think they'd be voting for Sanders.

Maybe the narrative that Sanders would have easily won over the WWC who defected to Trump might not be entirely true.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »

Very nice map!  What's up with the ruralish district north of Dallas that Bernie won?  I'm also quite surprised that Clinton won VA-09, especially when she lost 2 western NC districts (although that could just be open primary in VA vs. semi-open in NC).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 02:31:30 PM »

Yes, Bernie's coalition looks more like The North than The Left.  This is true right down to winning/overperforming in areas of the South that historically sympathized with the North and vice versa.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »

Maybe the narrative that Sanders would have easily won over the WWC who defected to Trump might not be entirely true.
UncleVolodya
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 04:58:54 PM »

Yes, Bernie's coalition looks more like The North than The Left.  This is true right down to winning/overperforming in areas of the South that historically sympathized with the North and vice versa.
Sanders=Lincoln? Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 05:30:36 PM »

Maybe using who won a closed primary to decide who does best in the general election is rank idiocy. There was so much talk about Obama struggling with Hispanics, and he did great with them in the general election. And he won Indiana in the general election despite losing it in the primary and it voting Bush by 20 points.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »

Sanders=Lincoln? Tongue

The resemblance to a late 19th century GE map is uncanny, save for PA and OH. The same was true for the GOP primary with Trump performing best in the post-Civil War Dem areas.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 06:38:38 PM »

I was curious why there is no data on New Jersey but it's obvious that all 12 districts favored Clinton. Sanders only won Sussex and Warren counties which are divided between different districts and fairly low in population, especially when it comes to their share of the population in their districts.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 04:31:27 PM »

Ohio and Pennsylvania are machine states in terms of D primaries.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 04:38:05 PM »

Ohio and Pennsylvania are machine states in terms of D primaries.

And so is Massachusetts.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 02:23:42 PM »

Somewhat surprised that CA-13 went with Sanders in hindsight considering Alameda on the whole went to Hillary by 8 points.

I mean, yeah, Berkeley wasn't gonna vote for Her, but I figured Oakland's black vote and Latino votes would go to her easily. And Alameda isn't exactly Sanders-Land either.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 03:26:24 PM »

Somewhat surprised that CA-13 went with Sanders in hindsight considering Alameda on the whole went to Hillary by 8 points.

I mean, yeah, Berkeley wasn't gonna vote for Her, but I figured Oakland's black vote and Latino votes would go to her easily. And Alameda isn't exactly Sanders-Land either.

Bernie won the most diverse city in America of Oakland, while badly losing heavily white Piedmont that it surrounds. I think income ended up being more of a factor than race there.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 01:00:59 PM »

Open primaries didn't work to Sanders advantage as much in Ohio because a popular home state candidate was running in the Republican primary. Turnout in the Democratic contest was barely 50% of what it was in 2008.

The effect might be especially apparent on the state map because the kind of voter who liked both Kasich and Sanders was more likely to be voting in a low population county. Unlike in other northern states, Sanders wasn't able to win a lot of territory by taking all of the rural and micropolitan counties with moribund state parties and only a few thousand voters turning out at best.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 12:01:59 PM »

Open primaries didn't work to Sanders advantage as much in Ohio because a popular home state candidate was running in the Republican primary. Turnout in the Democratic contest was barely 50% of what it was in 2008.

The effect might be especially apparent on the state map because the kind of voter who liked both Kasich and Sanders was more likely to be voting in a low population county. Unlike in other northern states, Sanders wasn't able to win a lot of territory by taking all of the rural and micropolitan counties with moribund state parties and only a few thousand voters turning out at best.

Armchair pundits tend to assume that primary electorates are ossified when, in reality, a wide swathe of the electorate is willing to vote in Republican or Democratic primaries. In many ways, the Ohio presidential primary was the worst case scenario for Sanders: "independent" type voters who have vague liberal leanings had an opportunity to vote for a relatively inoffensive Republican as a vote against Trump - the Republican contest was portrayed as a battle of fates, the Democratic primary didn't receive nearly as much attention. Also, the Sanders campaign made a world-class blunder in Ohio and, for that matter, Pennsylvania by running ads against fracking, which almost certainly convinced a certain type of voter in the Ohio-C region to vote for Trump instead of Sanders.

In the end, there were a lot of voters who would rank their ballots in the following order:
1. Sanders
2. Trump
[everyone else]

1. Trump
2. Sanders
[everyone else]

1. Kasich
2. Sanders
[everyone else]

1. Sanders
2. Kasich
[everyone else]