Day 33: North Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:52:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Day 33: North Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Day 33: North Carolina  (Read 4086 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2005, 10:40:50 AM »

Discuss.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 10:46:59 AM »

Very interesting state with some weird regional patterns.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 12:28:49 PM »

the biggest news of the 04 election was mecklenburg county (the largest county in the nc) going democrat.  it was once solidly republican.  no doubt that the switch was largely dependent on two things: 1. the suburbs, 2. an influx of out of staters (northerners)

i also tend to think that blacks are voting in higher numbers in places like charlotte and greensboro than they historically have been.

other fun facts from 04:

chatham county went to kerry by just a handful of votes.

caswell county, once a democrat stronghold continues its swing to the gop, while its neighbor to the north, danville va, continues drifting dem.

wake county, where john edwards resided went for bush, as did his childhood home of moore county.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:40:48 PM »

There was a noticeable Dem swing in the Appalachian part of the state; not enough to win even a single county though.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 12:47:15 PM »

Where on that map is my home city's namesake? Durham

Dave
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 12:48:55 PM »

See those two dark red northcentrally located counties? One of them.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 01:01:40 PM »

There was a noticeable Dem swing in the Appalachian part of the state; not enough to win even a single county though.

in the smokey mountain part of appalachia, there was a dem swing.  it has always been the most friendly towards democrats ofa ll the nc mountian counties, due to horrible economic conditions.

other mountain counties, like avery, mitchell and yancey, the republicans did as well as ever.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 01:03:28 PM »

in the smokey mountain part of appalachia, there was a dem swing.  it has always been the most friendly towards democrats ofa ll the nc mountian counties, due to horrible economic conditions.

other mountain counties, like avery, mitchell and yancey, the republicans did as well as ever.
..and that's the part they always win 2-1...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 01:07:24 PM »

..and that's the part they always win 2-1...

which is surprisng, because even in those counties the economic conditions are pretty horrible.  i suppose their love of the gop goes back to the civil war.

democrats can do well in watauga county because of the town of boone and appalachain state university.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 01:19:41 PM »

Thanks Wink. Heavily Democrat Smiley

Dave
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 01:38:35 PM »

because it is heavily black and poor.  it is also home to duke university.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 02:26:46 PM »

i suppose their love of the gop goes back to the civil war.

Pretty much. That area is just about the most blue-collar in the U.S (as of the last census), btw.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 02:58:41 PM »

because it is heavily black and poor.  it is also home to duke university.

Durham county has a higher median household income than North Carolina at large according to the 2000 census. While I don't dispute that there are many poor blacks there. However, what is different here is that there are many super-brainy people in the research triangle. These people heavily vote Democrat because of the virulently anti-intellectual and anti-scientific rhetoric of the GOP.  These people are not fans of "intelligent design."
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 09:03:03 PM »

A question, so this county voted for Bush, lik 56% in 2004, what the devil did John Kerry try to accomplish by nominating a VP from here?  Wouldn't he do a bit better if his veep was say, from a swing state?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 09:10:15 PM »

A question, so this county voted for Bush, lik 56% in 2004, what the devil did John Kerry try to accomplish by nominating a VP from here?  Wouldn't he do a bit better if his veep was say, from a swing state?

At points Kerry was only down four in North Carolina.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 04:17:31 AM »

Edwards as a VP candidate and NC goes 56% for Bush. I have a good feeling about NC. Tongue

Oh, I am wondering, how is it in NC? What's it like there? Overall, is the state a nice place to live? Where are the good and bad areas? Does any part get snow? Tongue Smiley You see, I'm thinking of moving there when I get older. Smiley
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 08:22:33 AM »

Edwards as a VP candidate and NC goes 56% for Bush. I have a good feeling about NC. Tongue

Oh, I am wondering, how is it in NC? What's it like there? Overall, is the state a nice place to live? Where are the good and bad areas? Does any part get snow? Tongue Smiley You see, I'm thinking of moving there when I get older. Smiley

the mountains get  quite a bit of snow.  the piedmont and coastal plain get little.

most newcomers to the state live in the I-85 crecent, from charlotte-raleigh-durham.

outside of that, the state is still prety poor.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 08:24:25 AM »

I know quite a few people from the Charlotte area, and they're all pretty nice.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 11:24:11 AM »

[insert NC kicks ass quote from Josh22 here]

Yeah, it's alright.  I've probably been there a whole two hours in my entire life, but from what I've expirienced, it's good.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 05:45:03 PM »

the mountains get  quite a bit of snow.  the piedmont and coastal plain get little.

most newcomers to the state live in the I-85 crecent, from charlotte-raleigh-durham.

outside of that, the state is still prety poor.

This (second paragraph) is pretty accurate, as that is really the only culturally diverse part of N.C.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 06:27:15 PM »

North Carolina is amazing.  I love it there.  It's kind of like a second home to me because my dad is really close with his brother who lives there and we visit a lot.  It's really diverse but my favorite area by far is the Outer Banks.  We've stayed in two MASSIVE houses there with private beaches and enough to do that you don't have to leave the house for weeks.  It's so much fun down there.  It is a bit hick-like in some areas, but not too bad.

Frezzyfestoon, where in the outer banks, my aunt and uncle have a house on Emerald Isle.  North Carolina is nice state
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 08:45:46 PM »

South. And it (Emerald Isle) is technically not part of the Outer Banks.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 04:35:29 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone!! Smiley

I am also wondering, what are the big cities like in North Carolina.

Such as Raleigh, Charlotte, and the many others I missed. Tongue
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 05:34:28 PM »

I usually go to either Duck or Corolla.  I haven't been to Emerald Island though.  Is it towards the north end or south?

I used to go to Corolla all the time, then we switched to South Nags Head.  Corolla is just too far away from everything.  Though, we don't even go to Outer Banks now (we just bought a condo in Florida).
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2005, 09:04:59 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2005, 09:07:06 PM by nclib »

The entire Raleigh area (including Durham) is very pleasant.  It's nothing like a Northeastern city.  It's more like my suburban New Jersey area than a city.  It does have some significantly urbanized areas but not very urbanized.  Charlotte on the other hand, I've never been to but heard it has much more of a city feel.

I'm not too familiar with Charlotte, but it does seem to me to be much more Southern culturally than the Raleigh area.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies