Breaking: Congressman Tony Cardenas (D-CA) accused of child molestation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 01:59:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Congressman Tony Cardenas (D-CA) accused of child molestation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Breaking: Congressman Tony Cardenas (D-CA) accused of child molestation  (Read 6914 times)
fluffypanther19
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 06:10:29 AM »

Holy sh**t why in the f can’t people wait a week or two to see what the evidence and allegations are before just blindly demanding resignations? It’s so ridiculous that you can file a lawsuit against someone and people will immediately demand resignation. He vehemently denies these allegations, so let’s see what the evidence is. If it is reasonable then ya force him out. If it’s not then don’t.

This really is not that fking hard.
seriously, there are some incredibly bad and horrific hot takes in this thread.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 06:40:33 AM »

Holy sh**t why in the f can’t people wait a week or two to see what the evidence and allegations are before just blindly demanding resignations? It’s so ridiculous that you can file a lawsuit against someone and people will immediately demand resignation. He vehemently denies these allegations, so let’s see what the evidence is. If it is reasonable then ya force him out. If it’s not then don’t.

We live in an internet era where paeans assume everyone is guilty til proven innocent.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 07:29:38 AM »

Man, there used to be something called "innocent until proven guilty."
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »

He should resign quickly.

What I will never understand with all these sexual abusers: Even if I had such preferences, I wouldn't try to realize them, especially not if I became a high-ranking politician (or business executive, actor, what ever). Why ruin a career and being humiliated publicly for that?

Because

1. They're not thinking about it rationally like that in the moment
2. They probably do try to resist them (and fail)
3. They think they might get away with it, as many have.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »

No, only juries have ever been obligated to use that standard. Private citizens have always been able to use whatever standard they want to decide whether they think an accused is guilty.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2018, 11:58:40 AM by BenBurch »

No, only juries have ever been obligated to use that standard. Private citizens have always been able to use whatever standard they want to decide whether they think an accused is guilty.

I understand that.  And I especially understand that private citizens have been always able to use whatever standard they want.  I'm saying it's bad.  It's basically a modern lynching.  And yes, this term is appropriate. 
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »

I understand that.  And I especially understand that private citizens have been always able to use whatever standard they want.  I'm saying it's bad.  It's basically a modern lynching.  And yes, this term is appropriate. 

Telling someone to resign from Congress is "lynching" now?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2018, 03:40:56 PM »

When you're acting as judge, jury, and executioner on a weak set of facts, sure.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 03:48:13 PM »

I understand that.  And I especially understand that private citizens have been always able to use whatever standard they want.  I'm saying it's bad.  It's basically a modern lynching.  And yes, this term is appropriate. 

When you're acting as judge, jury, and executioner on a weak set of facts, sure.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 04:20:46 PM »

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 04:22:58 PM »

maybe he's guilty but the me too stuff is getting out of hand
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »

I understand that.  And I especially understand that private citizens have been always able to use whatever standard they want.  I'm saying it's bad.  It's basically a modern lynching.  And yes, this term is appropriate.  

Says man posting on Internet forum in reference to an accused child molester.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 07:47:47 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »

I understand that.  And I especially understand that private citizens have been always able to use whatever standard they want.  I'm saying it's bad.  It's basically a modern lynching.  And yes, this term is appropriate.  

It's not unreasonable to think that a #MeToo movement will embolden some folks with grudges to make false allegations in the hope that the tenor of the times will cause folks to look at the allegations less critically.

Don't get me wrong; the #MeToo movement was needed to clean up Hollywood, where Sexual Harrassment came to be standard operating procedure in too many areas.  And sexual misconduct goes on in all areas of society, but it goes on less in some than in others.  I will say that politics is an area where it goes on more frequently.  But it's 10 years later, and it's from a disgruntled former employee, according to the Congressman.  If true, it begs the question as to why this is coming to light 10 years later.  It's a fair question to ask.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »

It's not unreasonable to think that a #MeToo movement will embolden some folks with grudges to make false allegations in the hope that the tenor of the times will cause folks to look at the allegations less critically.

Don't get me wrong; the #MeToo movement was needed to clean up Hollywood, where Sexual Harrassment came to be standard operating procedure in too many areas.  And sexual misconduct goes on in all areas of society, but it goes on less in some than in others.  I will say that politics is an area where it goes on more frequently.  But it's 10 years later, and it's from a disgruntled former employee, according to the Congressman.  If true, it begs the question as to why this is coming to light 10 years later.  It's a fair question to ask.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 08:09:58 PM »

Says man
posting on Internet forum in reference to an accused child molester.
please don't call me that
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 08:13:36 PM »

Rape is like the only crime where people seem to have a problem with reputation damage without a conviction(also the only crime where you can lose despite concrete evidence because your top wasn't nunly enough);
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »

Says man
posting on Internet forum in reference to an accused child molester.
please don't call me that

Sorry, I assume that people posting on Atlas are male unless I know they aren’t since...well...so many are, but if you do not identify as male then I apologize Sad  Mea culpa.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 08:32:21 PM »

it's ok.i know you're not trying to be insulting
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 09:28:15 PM »

This is a valid concern. Due process should continue to apply in these cases. We cannot merely take one's allegations at face value. They must be investigated, in a manner that gives the accused the chance to defend themselves properly before law.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »

We are living in different times now.  Just this morning on NPR the US Ambassador to Russia during the Obama administration, Michael McFaul, was talking about how Russian politics vis-a-vis the US was operating during the Putin-Obama years.  The Russian press made allegations that McFaul was a pedophile.  The Russian people believed it; they took it for granted that he was.  It was an outrageous lie meant to destroy him personally and destroy the reputation of the US and the Obama administration.

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2018/05/04/608411358/ex-ambassador-michael-mcfaul-traces-u-s-russia-ties-from-cold-war-to-hot-peace

If you want to assassinate someone character, call them a pedophile.  It's worse than calling someone a murderer.  And don't tell me that because a plaintiff hired a lawyer and filed a civil case that must mean there's some truth to it.  Civil cases are used to exact revenge, destroy people's careers, or destroy people's lives all the time.

I went to Johns Hopkins.  Years after I graduated, a student got a gun and shot another student.  The parents of the shooter then sued the parents of the student he killed.  

http://www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2016/10/remembering-the-murder-of-rex-t-chao/

And, if you know anything about JHU, you know that the school lives, eats, and breathes lacrosse.  Conference tournaments are going on as we speak.  So remember the Duke lacrosse scandal, when a mentally ill stripper accused some Duke lacrosse players of rape.  The case went on for months.  Duke's season was cancelled.  The DA went full speed ahead with the case.  One problem.  The rape never happened.  The DA wound up being disbarred and sent to jail.  The police officer who spearheaded the case wound up committing suicide.  And the stripper?  She would later murder her boyfriend and is still in prison.

"Where there's smoke, there's fire".  Uh huh.  Ever hear of the word "arson"?  

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2018, 09:53:39 PM »

seriously, there are some incredibly bad and horrific hot takes in this thread.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »

It's basically a modern lynching.  And yes, this term is appropriate. 
No, it's not. You're disgusting.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2018, 06:24:39 AM »

I was referencing the fact that many white woman lied, to protect their own reputation, about being raped by black men, who would then be killed by an angry mob.  Someone lies about somebody else, and that somebody else pays the price.  So actually. it is appropriate. 

Aww, am I disgusting?  Poor baby.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2018, 07:25:40 AM »

I was referencing the fact that many white woman lied, to protect their own reputation, about being raped by black men, who would then be killed by an angry mob.  Someone lies about somebody else, and that somebody else pays the price.  So actually. it is appropriate. 

Aww, am I disgusting?  Poor baby.

Is Tony Cardenas dead?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies