"Boy" being removed from "Boy Scouts of America" name.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 10:18:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Boy" being removed from "Boy Scouts of America" name.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: "Boy" being removed from "Boy Scouts of America" name.  (Read 6855 times)
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »

Why are some people so opposed to this? I don’t know any girl who would chose to sell cookies over going hiking/camping/fishing/canoeing/earning merit badges.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 08:46:17 AM »

Why are some people so opposed to this? I don’t know any girl who would chose to sell cookies over going hiking/camping/fishing/canoeing/earning merit badges.

Then they should start doing that in Girl Scouts.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 09:15:41 AM »

Will they start selling cookies too? And if so, does this mean the price will go down because the Girl Scots will no longer have a monopoly on the Thin Mints market?

I’d like to know this, too.

Anyways I was never a Scout so I have no hot takes for anyone. They’re a private organization, if they want to change their name and allow girls to join then whatever. Power to them, I guess.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 09:22:26 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2018, 10:33:00 AM by TexasGurl »

Don't really care, but that's pretty stupid.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »

snowflakes
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 10:10:33 AM »

By the time we're done, there will be no activities for boys that will be exclusively for boys.  

Is that really a good thing?

Have you even bothered to read? Troops will still be generally segregated.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »

Then they should start doing that in Girl Scouts.

That’s literally what should be happening, but apparently it isn’t, so...
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »

From what I can tell this change was more an internal change born out of a desire by the national organization to keep scouting relevant in society. I haven’t seen much evidence that this was the result of the BSA caving to some intense pressure from “feminist/SJW/snowflake” groups. And it sounds like individual troops will have discretion to figure out how to implement these changes.

I’m personally not in love with the name change. But as an Eagle Scout, I say that if a girl is able to complete the necessary tasks to earn the merit badges and climb the ranks, then let her join. The values expressed in the Scout Oath and the Scout Law don’t belong to men alone.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »

By the time we're done, there will be no activities for boys that will be exclusively for boys.  

That’s an exaggeration, but if that was to occur, then yes, that would be a good thing.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 11:02:06 AM »

Effective soon, the Boy Scouts of America (which I was in during middle and high school) will be changing its name to simply, "Scouts BSA", as it accepts girls into the program.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/boy-scouts-america-change-iconic-girls-enter-older/story?id=54878120

Are you freaking kidding me.

This is not just a scrapping of a longstanding tradition for "equality", it's an attack on my childhood.

There will soon be no more boy only organizations. Girl only, and organizations for both genders, will be the only left. No more boy only organizations, because that's "sexist" and it's on the "wrong side of history". Boys won't be able to learn the things they would regularly learn. Male troop leaders would be constantly accused of pedophilia. All of this because of a bunch of spoiled brats, girls and liberal women alike, who couldn't tolerate being restricted from an organization made for the opposite gender.

I bet a huge sum of money I can't find a single person on the forum that thinks this is a good idea, or even acceptable at all.
I'll chime in here, since I'm an Eagle Scout. First, I have no problem with the idea. I've read about this and it's not like they are mixing boys and girls together. There will be separate boys and girls patrols. Also as other people pointed out the organization as a whole will still be called Boy Scouts of America.

A family in my scout troop that I knew well had multiple boys in my troop. They also had a sister in Girl Scouts, but she didn't really enjoy it because the Girls Scouts focused on feminine activities and she wanted to go shooting, backpacking and do other Boy Scout Activities. Honestly I don't think this idea will lead to a lot of girls joining Boy Scouts, but it opens up the opportunity for those who do.

Boy Scout won't start selling cookies, that's for Girl Scouts. The whole point is for girls to be able to do what the Boy Scouts do. Also Boy Scouts is not a right wing organization that is looking at indoctrinating young girls with conservative anti-feminist ideas. At least in my Scout troop there were many people with different political views. We did have a mock election in 2008 and McCain won by like 2 votes. So my troop was pretty split down the middle.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 11:05:15 AM »

my parents wouldn't allow me to be a scout lol
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »

I think this is a good move for the Boy Scouts of America to make.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »

No one is forcing BSA into doing anything.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »

Why do you care that girls can be a part of the Scouts who do things that are actually fun, instead of the Girl Scouts?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 11:27:21 AM »

This is not just a scrapping of a longstanding tradition for "equality", it's an attack on my childhood.
Good
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »

Also, this may just be me here, but if I was a conservative parent with a daughter I'd be excited that I am now able to put my girl into a scouting program that won't fill her head with liberal thoughts like the Girl Scouts.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 11:32:00 AM »

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »

as long as there's no activities that are exclusively for girls too I think that's pretty good!
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »

Effective soon, the Boy Scouts of America (which I was in during middle and high school) will be changing its name to simply, "Scouts BSA", as it accepts girls into the program.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/boy-scouts-america-change-iconic-girls-enter-older/story?id=54878120

There will soon be no more boy only organizations. Girl only, and organizations for both genders, will be the only left. No more boy only organizations, because that's "sexist" and it's on the "wrong side of history". Boys won't be able to learn the things they would regularly learn. Male troop leaders would be constantly accused of pedophilia. All of this because of a bunch of spoiled brats, girls and liberal women alike, who couldn't tolerate being restricted from an organization made for the opposite gender.

I bet a huge sum of money I can't find a single person on the forum that thinks this is a good idea, or even acceptable at all.
I'll chime in here, since I'm an Eagle Scout. First, I have no problem with the idea. I've read about this and it's not like they are mixing boys and girls together. There will be separate boys and girls patrols. Also as other people pointed out the organization as a whole will still be called Boy Scouts of America.

A family in my scout troop that I knew well had multiple boys in my troop. They also had a sister in Girl Scouts, but she didn't really enjoy it because the Girls Scouts focused on feminine activities and she wanted to go shooting, backpacking and do other Boy Scout Activities. Honestly I don't think this idea will lead to a lot of girls joining Boy Scouts, but it opens up the opportunity for those who do.

Boy Scout won't start selling cookies, that's for Girl Scouts. The whole point is for girls to be able to do what the Boy Scouts do. Also Boy Scouts is not a right wing organization that is looking at indoctrinating young girls with conservative anti-feminist ideas. At least in my Scout troop there were many people with different political views. We did have a mock election in 2008 and McCain won by like 2 votes. So my troop was pretty split down the middle.

This is a smart, well-considered response to this subject, rather than the usual preening
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »

This is a smart, well-considered response to this subject, rather than the usual preening

In my personal experiences, many of the leaders in Scouting are on the right (focusing on the ideals of social order). Most of the moderates or Democrats were the quieter, more reserved leaders. I fall under the latter expectation myself!
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »

I think the entire thing is disgusting.  BOYS should be in the BOY Scouts, and GIRLS should be in the GIRL Scouts.  That's why the Scout groups are named like they are.  One is for boys, and one is for girls!  I know, how ridiculous!  🙄
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »

I think the entire thing is disgusting.  BOYS should be in the BOY Scouts, and GIRLS should be in the GIRL Scouts.  That's why the Scout groups are named like they are.  One is for boys, and one is for girls!  I know, how ridiculous!  🙄
How ridiculous that girls can now join the scout group that does the things they might want to. They can only do "girl scout approved" activities, obviously.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »

I think this speaks to a bigger problem about the Girl Scouts. Why don't they have the opportunities for girls to do these things in the Girl Scouts?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2018, 12:32:44 PM »

1. If you aren't an Eagle Scout or currently involved in Scouting somehow, you don't get an opinion on this.

So other than you and me, does anyone else here get to have an opinion? Do any other Eagle Scouts post here?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2018, 12:34:55 PM »

Also, this may just be me here, but if I was a conservative parent with a daughter I'd be excited that I am now able to put my girl into a scouting program that won't fill her head with liberal thoughts like the Girl Scouts.

Oh, absolutely!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies